Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: https not allowed, chrome popping up warnings.

https not allowed, chrome popping up warnings.

Hello,

I seem to be having an issue using Chrome. The Https isn't working and I am having to hop through a privacy warning page to see all content.

Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from forum.cosmoquest.org (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
    NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

The top level domain (cosmoquest.org) is working correctly, perhaps a setting is off someplace?
    Solfe

Yup, I'm getting the same message

Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from forum.cosmoquest.org (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
    NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

I'll third that, but Not Ever Using Chrome.

Not the problem I'm having. My problem is that CQ never 'remembers' me. I have to sign in every time. (Yes, I check the 'remember me' box)

I'm not sure if its related to the fact that the site is now nested inside an ubersite, and that I get here via bookmark: forum.cosmoquest.org

When I go via the book mark, I get the warning screen, as does Solfe. When I go through cosmoquest.org and get to the forums that way, I don't.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

I don't get the warning when using an incognito browser tab, but the https is still crossed out.

I got the same stuff using either Chrome or Microsoft Edge, when going directly to the forum. Entering through cosmoquest.org did not encounter that, but in address field it says "Not secure" in red text.

It's telling me the security certificate expired yesterday. I'll let Pamela know.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Pamela says she'll take care of it early this coming week.

And FWIW, Chrome on my creaky old iPad 1 seems to work fine.

I got a warning on FireFox.

Yeah, I canít access it from either my work or home Windoze machines, but my iPad and iPhone connect fine with Tapatalk.
    As above, so below

The apps that do work (iPad, some Chrome) probably use a link that starts with HTTP instead of HTTPS. That means the web traffic isn't encrypted, and you might run the slight risk that someone might try to steal your connection (and thus gain access to your account here). It's probably not a big worry.

Anyway, if you want to use the HTTP link temporarily, as a work-around (just remove the S in the browser address bar), remember that it might give some issues with staying logged in (the "remember me" option), and you would still get the warning page if someone puts a link in his post with HTTPS.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Security Certificate issues

See attached warning I am getting all the time when trying to get into this site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	security certificate problem.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	24278  
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    ó Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    See attached warning I am getting all the time when trying to get into this site.
    Merged into the existing thread on the topic.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Pamela says she'll take care of it early this coming week.
    Did she give you a estimated to complete?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Did she give you a estimated to complete?
    She literally said "in the morning," but given she's pretty busy - and I don't know how long the fix takes to percolate into the system - I figured I'd make a more approximate announcement.

She literally said "in the morning," but given she's pretty busy - and I don't know how long the fix takes to percolate into the system - I figured I'd make a more approximate announcement.
    Ok, thanks

Possibly related, possibly not: I just logged in with my password fully visible in the password field - not obfuscated. I think the password field itself may have been altered.

It's telling me the security certificate expired yesterday. I'll let Pamela know.
    Got that warning at home yesterday evening (Edge) and again today at work (MSIE). Did not get it this time (Edge).
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

It seems to be back in business.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    It seems to be back in business.
    Thanks, I was worried the Fermi paradox discussion got too close to,,, something...and the time lords had to close us down before panic spread.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

After three days of nonsense trying to log in, it's finally working again.

My firefox bookmark [https://forum.cosmoquest.org] just goes to a page that says "Welcome to nginx! If you see this page, the nginx web server is successfully installed and working. Further configuration is required." Only when I use url "forum.cosmoquest.org," without the https, can I get to the forum.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    My firefox bookmark [https://forum.cosmoquest.org] just goes to a page that says "Welcome to nginx! If you see this page, the nginx web server is successfully installed and working. Further configuration is required." Only when I use url "forum.cosmoquest.org," without the https, can I get to the forum.
    I'm using https and it seems fine. I think I had the nginx thing the first time I tried loading from https this morning. Try reloading it, I think that fixed it for me.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Cougar, I had that happening for a few hours yesterday, after several days (or so it seems) of the missing certificate message, and then I think it was giving me an empty page, but now everything has returned to normal. It felt like the site was out of commission for days.

I'm still getting Welcome to NGINX. glad I thought to try Tapatalk.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Maybe those of you who still see nginx can try to do a forced reload (ctrl-F5 on windows), or to remove temporary internet files (empty the cache) and try again?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Ok, I just got through. I sometimes despair of this place. Many of us don't know the tricks, and the issue should never have happened.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I seem to be good again. Thanks!
    Solfe