Thread: von klitzing constant

von klitzing constant

To me it looks like CODATA has published the value for the Von Klitzing constant in error. I think it should be 25812.807459 ohms and not 25812.80745 ohms.

Anyone else see this?
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.

Wikipedia gives it as 25812.80745... perhaps that is why it didn't get rounded up in the 10th place, or have the 11th place stated.
    Did this error affect your results in an experiment? I'd be curious to know what you're working on. Start a thread in Science and Technology if you're willing to tell us.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    Wikipedia gives it as 25812.80745... perhaps that is why it didn't get rounded up in the 10th place, or have the 11th place stated.
    Did this error affect your results in an experiment? I'd be curious to know what you're working on. Start a thread in Science and Technology if you're willing to tell us.
    I had just made a prediction 3 years ago about the von klitzing constant and it was off by 3 sigma, but when I looked at the codata number I figured out they dropped a digit by accident. After that my number was within one sigma. Or at least that is my interpretations since the the von klitzing constant is equal to the Planck constant over the elementary charge squared, and both of those are exact numbers. I would think I would have to post in against the mainstream.
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
    I had just made a prediction 3 years ago about the von klitzing constant and it was off by 3 sigma, but when I looked at the codata number I figured out they dropped a digit by accident. After that my number was within one sigma. Or at least that is my interpretations since the the von klitzing constant is equal to the Planck constant over the elementary charge squared, and both of those are exact numbers. I would think I would have to post in against the mainstream.
    OK, if it needs to be in ATM, narrow what you discuss enough that it doesn't block future discussion of related topics, and wait until you are ready to post.
    Forming opinions as we speak

To me it looks like CODATA has published the value for the Von Klitzing constant in error. I think it should be 25812.807459 ohms and not 25812.80745 ohms.

Anyone else see this?
    When I look up the von Klitzing constant at CODATA I see "Numerical value 25 812.807 45...". There are more digits in the "...". This is an exact value found from other fundamental constants as you know. The Quantum Hall effect article has RK = h/e2. And "On 16 November 2018, the conventional value was abrogated in consequence of the decision to fix the values of h (the Planck constant) and e (the elementary charge) at the 26th meeting of the General Conference on Weights and Measure".

The value of 25812.807557(18) in the article comes from a 2009 experimental paper citing a 1980 Klitzing, K. von, Dorda, G., Pepper, M. paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    When I look up the von Klitzing constant at CODATA I see "Numerical value 25 812.807 45...". There are more digits in the "...". This is an exact value found from other fundamental constants as you know. The Quantum Hall effect article has RK = h/e2. And "On 16 November 2018, the conventional value was abrogated in consequence of the decision to fix the values of h (the Planck constant) and e (the elementary charge) at the 26th meeting of the General Conference on Weights and Measure".

The value of 25812.807557(18) in the article comes from a 2009 experimental paper citing a 1980 Klitzing, K. von, Dorda, G., Pepper, M. paper.
    I realize they could go out infinite digits but they could have at least kept the 9 in the eleventh digit instead of rounding down.
    =25812.8074593045...

I realize they could go out infinite digits but they could have at least kept the 9 in the eleventh digit instead of rounding down.
    Why not 100 digits? The answer is that CODATA set a standard for all values in their web site and are sticking to it. As you show, it is very easy to get more digits so CODATA are assuming that people looking at their web site know the von Klitzing constant definition and can do math.