Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apollo 11 50th Anniversary

I was let down by the television coverage of the Apollo XI anniversary.

I figured that at least one station would show the July 20th coverage exactly as it had played out, in “real time” plus 50 years. We’ve all seen documentaries, many of them excellent, giving details far beyond those 1969 kinescopes (or whatever the method was).

Still, it’s a fascinating exercise to place oneself back in time, to relive the mystery as it unfolded, including the long wait between the landing and the first steps on the Moon, with the studio coverage and endless speculation. I can still remember seeing that stuff as it played out long ago, and that’s what I was hoping to see again.

However, every station that I sampled, both cable and internet (networks? Forget it! They stuck to their usual nonsense programming), insisted upon playing “greatest hits.” I got to see the launch and the one-small-step every hour, but very little else.

The BBC seemed to, cutting sleep time. I enjoyed it as it was a sober account for me.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    well done indeed and sobering that more than half the population were not alive at the time so they cannot be blamed for waking up to an anniversary. I have stood beside the Saturn nozzles trying to visualise the kind of forces and flames we see in the newsreels, it is mind blowing in the same way as seeing large airliners lift off at apparently leisurely speed. Scale effect.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Yesterday was our national holiday. An F16 was trying to fly in formation with some WWII birds: the later at nominal cruise speed, the F16 at minimum cruise speed. However in rocketry, the Saturn 5 would not be the one struggling to keep up with modern machinery. Hopefully, we will soon finally see a significantly more performant/advanced rocket than the sixties miracle candle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Yesterday was our national holiday. An F16 was trying to fly in formation with some WWII birds: the later at nominal cruise speed, the F16 at minimum cruise speed. However in rocketry, the Saturn 5 would not be the one struggling to keep up with modern machinery. Hopefully, we will soon finally see a significantly more performant/advanced rocket than the sixties miracle candle.
    Several of the more modern/postmodern takes on the superhero genre have the “inventions” of the “super-geniuses” literally only work for them because they aren’t really doing normal science, they’re doing magic but don’t realize it, as a way of explaining why they can’t mass-produce their inventions, and now I’m imagining a jokey story where this turns out to be the case with the Apollo Program.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Make it include the classic phrase: "Oh, I didn't know it was impossible. I've just made it work. Sorry."

And the F-16 itself has been in service for 45 years! It's probably older than you are.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I'm assuming here, but I believe you are speaking about the SpaceX boosters. Yes the Saturn V was slow off the pad, but if you look at thrust to weight ratios, the FH doesn't have the weight that might make it look slow. But kudos to SpaceX for revitalizing super heavy launch vehicle along with ULA.

Saturn V was realling booking at the time of first stage sep--maybe not quite 6000 mph--but up there
    https://space.stackexchange.com/ques...nly-about-40-o

Not bad for something the size of a skyscraper to outrun a fighter jet.