Thread: Moon Occults Saturn - 2019 AUG 12

Smile Moon Occults Saturn - 2019 AUG 12

The waxing gibbous Moon will occult (cover) Saturn for observers in eastern Australia and northern New Zealand during the evening of Monday 2019 AUG 12.

The current series of 14 monthly Saturn occultations extends from 2018 DEC 09 to 2019 NOV 29. However, the large majority are not visible at nighttime from any particular location. The next series will commence on 2024 APR 06

The upcoming immersion will occur on the lunar dark limb and emersion on the bright limb. Any observers on a graze path can witness the star winking on and off as lunar hills and valleys pass by. Those between the two paths will see a full occultation.

Iíve created a graze map for the southwest Pacific region, a set of Besselian elements for computer input, and preview graphics with data for Sydney. They can be seen by visiting my Occultations webpage at https://www.CurtRenz.com/occultations.html

Photos and descriptions of the occultation would be welcome additions to this thread. If you would like specific occultation or graze predictions for your location, please reply to this post with your longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone.
    For astronomical graphics and data visit
    https://www.CurtRenz.com/astronomy.html

Thanks Centaur, I am in Canberra, marked on your map as exactly on the southern graze path at 0850 UT.

I will look at the Moon and Saturn around 6.50 pm local time tonight to see the occultation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Tulip View Post
    Thanks Centaur, I am in Canberra, marked on your map as exactly on the southern graze path at 0850 UT.

I will look at the Moon and Saturn around 6.50 pm local time tonight to see the occultation.
    You're Welcome, Robert. But it appears that Canberra is actually a little north of the graze path, so you should see both an immersion and emersion. Below is my prediction for Canberra.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Centaur
    I tried to video this occultation here in Canberra, producing the attached results that concur with your predicted times. My camcorder only produced blurred images, but they are clear enough to see Saturn before and after the Moon passes in front of it. Even with binoculars it was difficult to see the moment of occultation due to the high level of glare from the moon.

Saturn small dot at right side of moon
    Saturn invisible behind moon
    Saturn emerges as small dot above moon
    Saturn small dot above moon

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Tulip View Post
    Hi Centaur
    I tried to video this occultation here in Canberra, producing the attached results that concur with your predicted times. My camcorder only produced blurred images, but they are clear enough to see Saturn before and after the Moon passes in front of it. Even with binoculars it was difficult to see the moment of occultation due to the high level of glare from the moon.

Saturn invisible behind moon
    Saturn emerges as small dot above moon
    Saturn small dot above moon
    Thank you for sharing your videos, Robert and for confirming the accuracy of my timing predictions. Glad you got to see the occultation.
    Last edited by Centaur; 2019-Aug-12 at 04:00 PM.