Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 5251

Thread: The ULTIMATE astronomy quiz

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,823
    Hydra


    As there are no rules- we can ask what we like! Keeping it astronomy based would be good though...

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    Hydra


    As there are no rules- we can ask what we like! Keeping it astronomy based would be good though...
    BINGO! S'pose that was kinda easy though....

    with regards

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,823
    hmmm

    What are the seven spectral classes for stars

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    hmmm

    What are the seven spectral classes for stars
    OBAFGKM

    Oh, Be A Fine Girl; Kiss Me. 'll never forget that one. :P

    with regards

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,823
    Correct

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    Correct
    What is the sun's spectral type?

    with regards

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,823
    G2 (two girls)


    Quote Originally Posted by highlight if I am correct
    What is the colour of the sun

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    G2 (two girls)


    Quote Originally Posted by highlight if I am correct
    What is the colour of the sun
    Hey that's a nifty idea. :P You were right, but I'd never heard of the "two girls" thing.

    Yellow

    What is the surface temperature of the sun?
    with regards

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,823
    yellow? I thought it was white? or green? or ARGHHH


    Hmmm
    surface?
    It's about 4'000 5'000 degrees C I think :-k... I've got a mind block #-o


    I'm bad with theese # ones.... #-o

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    yellow? I thought it was white? or green? or ARGHHH


    Hmmm
    surface?
    It's about 5'000 degrees C I think... I've got a mind block #-o :-k
    5,800 C (or is it K? H-R diagrams have always been in C, right?)

    with regards

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,823
    It probobly fluctuates more than 273degrees anyway.....

    What does SOHO stand for?

  12. #42
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    It probobly fluctuates more than 273degrees anyway.....

    What does SOHO stand for?
    Solar Observations.....and....ummm... Heliospheric Orbit?

    with regards

  13. #43
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,823
    "The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory"

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    "The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory"
    Hey that's unfair...they derived two letters from one word. :P

    Who was credited with the invention of the telescope?

    with regards

  15. #45
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,823
    galilo gallii (hard word to spell at 12:30am)

    Who was credited for the reflector telescope?

  16. #46
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    galilo gallii (hard word to spell at 12:30am)

    Who was credited for the reflector telescope?
    Actually, it was patented by Hans Lipershey (wrong spelling no doubt), Galileo merely refined his concept. The idea of using two lenses in unison had been thought of many centuries (or millenia) before.

    Not quite sure about the reflector, my first guess would be Sir Isaac Newton?

    with regards

  17. #47
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    558
    Sir Isaac Newton

  18. #48
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,823
    champion_munch beat you to the crunch

    anyway I better go to bed now *yawns*

  19. #49
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    champion_munch beat you to the crunch

    anyway I better go to bed now *yawns*
    I should go soon....see how far I can get with this thread tonight. :P

    How many moons was discovered by Voyager 2?

    with regards

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    422
    Yup I was at work. Sorry, I looked up the answer to my question, and found that I didn't really phrase it correctly. I was tired, it was late. Yup, that's the excuse I'll go with :wink: . The answer I was looking for was indeed Ergosphere.

    Although now that I think about it, wouldn't every rotating body have an Ergosphere around it? Or is it called something different when it is around a star or a planet?

  21. #51
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    Yup I was at work. Sorry, I looked up the answer to my question, and found that I didn't really phrase it correctly. I was tired, it was late. Yup, that's the excuse I'll go with :wink: . The answer I was looking for was indeed Ergosphere.

    Although now that I think about it, wouldn't every rotating body have an Ergosphere around it? Or is it called something different when it is around a star or a planet?
    Morning! Sorry, I wouldn't have a clue mate.

    Why not start the ball rolling again?

    with regards

  22. #52
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,236
    Quote Originally Posted by champion_munch
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    champion_munch beat you to the crunch

    anyway I better go to bed now *yawns*
    I should go soon....see how far I can get with this thread tonight. :P

    How many moons was discovered by Voyager 2?

    with regards
    Do you mean on all Voyager 2 flybys? This was in my Backyard Astronomy book, but I can't remember the exact number--at least 20 or so, because Voyager 1 was Jupiter, and Voyager 2 was Uranus and Neptune, and I remember V-2 found 10 with Uranus alone, and 5 or 6 with Neptune. I can't remember how many between V-1 and V-2 with Saturn. So, I'll take a guess and say 20 before I look it up.

    (I knew the Pleiades/Subara one and Hydra, at least ops: )

  23. #53
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Melusine
    Quote Originally Posted by champion_munch
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    champion_munch beat you to the crunch

    anyway I better go to bed now *yawns*
    I should go soon....see how far I can get with this thread tonight. :P

    How many moons was discovered by Voyager 2?

    with regards
    Do you mean on all Voyager 2 flybys? This was in my Backyard Astronomy book, but I can't remember the exact number--at least 20 or so, because Voyager 1 was Jupiter, and Voyager 2 was Uranus and Neptune, and I remember V-2 found 10 with Uranus alone, and 5 or 6 with Neptune. I can't remember how many between V-1 and V-2 with Saturn. So, I'll take a guess and say 20 before I look it up.

    (I knew the Pleiades/Subara one and Hydra, at least ops: )
    Well, I think it's 16 (named) moons discovered by Voyager 2.

    At Uranus there was - Cordelia, Ophelia, Bianca, Cressida, Desdemona, Juliet, Portia, Rosalind, Belinda and Puck.

    And at Neptune there was - Naiad, Thalassa, Despina, Galatea, Larissa and Proteus.

    But Proteus may have been discovered by Earth-bound telescopes just before Voyager arrived at Neptune, and there is still another moon around Uranus that has yet to be confirmed designated a name, but was discovered in 1986 (so I'm assuming that Voyager spotted it).

    So .. yeah, you can ask a question now if you want.

    with regards

  24. #54
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,236
    No, :wink: we must find out for sure. I'm going to look up it now, but thanks. I need to see how many by Saturn by V 1 and V2. Who can remember this by heart??

  25. #55
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Melusine
    No, :wink: we must find out for sure. I'm going to look up it now, but thanks. I need to see how many by Saturn by V 1 and V2. Who can remember this by heart??
    I don't think that Voyager 2 discovered any moons around Jupiter or Saturn, but I'll look it up just to make sure.

    EDIT: Turns out that Larissa was discovered before Voyager 2 found it, so there's 15.

    with regards

  26. #56
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,236
    OK, my book says "Voyager 2 confirmed the existence of 5 thin rings around Neptune and added six satellites to the two already known." It says 10 for Uranus. It doesn't split up Saturn V-1 and V-2, just a picture of 5 moons, but it's a composite. They probably were all by V-1....hmm. Do you know all those moons by heart?

  27. #57
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,823
    Who's turn is it?

  28. #58
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Melusine
    OK, my book says "Voyager 2 confirmed the existence of 5 thin rings around Neptune and added six satellites to the two already known." It says 10 for Uranus. It doesn't split up Saturn V-1 and V-2, just a picture of 5 moons, but it's a composite. They probably were all by V-1....hmm. Do you know all those moons by heart?
    Yeah....well, not all of the new ones (gawd there's over 150 now!) but everything up to around the year 2000.

    Which 5 moons were in the composite? I don't think Voyager 1 discovered any moons.

    with regards

  29. #59
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,236
    I thought we were figuring out how many moons of Saturn by V-1 or V-2. Do you know for sure. This link didn't help much:

    http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/lin...s/voyager.html

    Edit add: See, it doesn't divide them up:

    Voyagers 1 and 2 then continued to Saturn, with Voyager 1 arriving in November 1980 and Voyager 2 in August 1981

  30. #60
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    Who's turn is it?
    I think we should give Melusine a go; we both asked enough questions last night. :P

    I thought we were figuring out how many moons of Saturn by V-1 or V-2. Do you know for sure. This link didn't help much:
    Yeah I'm almost 100% sure. I thought we were working out how many moons Voyager 2 found all up?

    with regards

Similar Threads

  1. Tierney Lab Astronomy Quiz
    By Chip in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2008-Jun-01, 05:55 PM
  2. Please bring back the Ultimate Astronomy Quiz
    By IMO in forum Forum Introductions and Feedback
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2006-Apr-29, 02:49 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2006-Apr-29, 12:57 PM
  4. The ULTIMATE astronomy quiz
    By Glom in forum Fun-n-Games
    Replies: 1646
    Last Post: 2006-Apr-29, 07:35 AM
  5. Astronomy Quiz!
    By Brady Yoon in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2004-May-31, 03:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •