Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Apollo Quiz Game

New Apollo Quiz Game

Okay this was tried a little time ago and I think Jay asked a question no-one could answer so it died. But being one to beat a dead horse....

Okay rules. Answer the previous question (preferably with a link) and if it is called correct by the OP of the question, or seconded as correct by one of our resident Apollo nuts (Jay and Bob) then you post the next question and so on. Okay?

To start the ball rolling.

On leaving the moon each mission jetisoned various parts of their suit and keep other parts for historical purposes. Which of the parts that Apollo 11 returned with did Buzz later say he wished they hadn't saved, and what was the part of the suit he wishes they had brought back instead?

Re: New Apollo Quiz Game

Which of the parts that Apollo 11 returned with did Buzz later say he wished they hadn't saved, and what was the part of the suit he wishes they had brought back instead?

From ALSJ, Apollo 11 EVA Preparations, 108:32:40
    [Aldrin - (To Neil) "I think we should have brought the boots back and not the LEVAs. It was a last minute decision and they're not as publicly appreciated as the boots are."]

Re: New Apollo Quiz Game

Quote Originally Posted by ajv
    [Aldrin - (To Neil) "I think we should have brought the boots back and not the LEVAs. It was a last minute decision and they're not as publicly appreciated as the boots are."]
    Correct. They returned with the Lunar Extravehicular Visor Assembly rather then their boots. I guess us silly public apparently appreciate things that touched the surface more than bits that didn't, duh! The balls all your's ajv.

Next Question: How many different experiments at how many different sites did the apollo missions perform?

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Yeah, good luck! Response hasn't been overwhelming during previous attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Samara
    How many different experiments at how many different sites did the apollo missions perform?
    A bit vague. Lunar surface experiments I take it. Does this include geological and photographic experiments?

Let's see:

1. 11: PSE
    2. SWC
    3. LRR
    4. 12: PSE
    5. CPLEE
    6. SIDE
    7. LSM
    8. SWC
    9. 14: PSE
    10. ASE
    11. HFE
    12. SIDE
    13. CCIG
    14. PSM
    And some others. What do I win?

Quote Originally Posted by Glom
    What do I win?
    The right to ask the next question?

Okay, even though I only answered the question for the pre-J missions.

Who were on the Apollo 11 backup crew?

Quote Originally Posted by Glom
    Who were on the Apollo 11 backup crew?
    Lovell, Anders, and Haise.

Correct. They gave the erroneous implication in the Ron Howard movie that the exact Apollo 13 crew was the Apollo 11 backup.

I guess that means it's my turn.

What is the name of the flight controller who saved the Apollo 12 mission with the obscure command "Try SCE to Aux"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B.
    I guess that means it's my turn.

What is the name of the flight controller who saved the Apollo 12 mission with the obscure command "Try SCE to Aux"?
    That would be John Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlet
    That would be John Aaron.
    Correct; your turn.

My turn.

What problem developed during Apollo 15's journey to the Moon that, for a short period, seemed to jeopardize the mission?

My turn.

What problem developed during Apollo 15's journey to the Moon that, for a short period, seemed to jeopardize the mission?
    A faulty switch that threatened to light up the SPS.

Edited to note from the A15 Flight Journal:

[After the flight, analysis of the Delta-V Thrust A switch found a piece of wire, 1.4 mm in length trapped between the rectangular metal body of the switch and a plastic liner which is pressed into the body. The central terminal of the switch passes through the body within a flange which extends from the body in a small cylinder. This cylinder forms a small cavity with a 1 mm space between the terminal post and the flange. Evidence of arcing within this space satisfied the engineers that the wire, floating within this cavity, had been the cause of the short.]

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel
    My turn.

A faulty switch that threatened to light up the SPS.

Edited to note from the A15 Flight Journal:

[After the flight, analysis of the Delta-V Thrust A switch found a piece of wire, 1.4 mm in length trapped between the rectangular metal body of the switch and a plastic liner which is pressed into the body. The central terminal of the switch passes through the body within a flange which extends from the body in a small cylinder. This cylinder forms a small cavity with a 1 mm space between the terminal post and the flange. Evidence of arcing within this space satisfied the engineers that the wire, floating within this cavity, had been the cause of the short.]
    Correct. Next.

What promise made to John Young while he was on the moon was kept, even though it took 23 years?

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel
    What promise made to John Young while he was on the moon was kept, even though it took 23 years?
    I'll guess it's something to do with a can of beer, Australian, chilled, as a result of a conversation between Young and John Saxon from Honeysuckle Creek. :-)

From the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal:

139:43:46 Young: Roger. We'd sure like to come down there and see you folks after it's over, too.

139:43:51 Saxon: Well, you've got a permanent invite, any time you like.

139:44:00 Young: That's very kind.

139:44:03 Saxon: We'll keep the beer cool for you.

That's good enough for me, Ethel & the chickens!

John Saxon was finally able to give John Young his chilled beer at the 25th Anniversary of Apollo 11 celebrations.

The event was captured here and here.

You're up, Peter B!

What relationship does controversial Italian journalist Oriana Fallaci have with Apollo?

What relationship does controversial Italian journalist Oriana Fallaci have with Apollo?
    Conrad's bet about his first words on the surface.

Well that didn't take long! I suppose better a question too easy than one too hard.

For those who don't know, Fallaci was convinced that NASA scripted the astronauts' lines, particularly Armstrong's first words on the Moon. In an interview with Apollo 12 Command Pete Conrad she reiterated her claim. Conrad bet her $500 that his first words on the Moon would be, "That might have been a small step for Neil, but it was a big one for me." On the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, Conrad claimed Fallaci never paid up.

Over to you, ajv.

Ok, this might be a hard one.

During Apollo 17, what was Cernan interested in getting the ground to check for Evans when he suggested that they run an unusual test in the Command Module simulator?

In the absence of anyone else answering this, I'll give it a go.

Was it Cernan joking with Mission Control about Ron Evans losing his pair of scissors, and suggesting they send someone to the Command Module simulator to have a look there?

Correct.

Prior to the landing, Ron Evans had lost his pair of scissors which were needed to open the sealed plastic food bags. After some joking about his predicament, Cernan and Schmitt agreed to leave a pair behind when they left for the surface. After they returned, the ground asked whether Evans had found his scissors. From the ALSJ - ()s added by Eric.

212:10:xx Evans: [...] I still haven't the slightest idea where the scissors are.
    212:10:xx Cernan: Gordo, you might have someone hide them (a pair of scissors) in the CSM (mock-up) and send a backup crew down to the Cape and see how long it takes them to find them.
    212:10:xx Fullerton: Okay, I'll get an airplane scheduled up right away.

It's back to you, Peter.

Who was the last Apollo Capcom to fly in space?

(Ooh! My 1000th post!)

212:10:xx Evans: [...] I still haven't the slightest idea where the scissors are.
    212:10:xx Cernan: Gordo, you might have someone hide them (a pair of scissors) in the CSM (mock-up) and send a backup crew down to the Cape and see how long it takes them to find them.
    212:10:xx Fullerton: Okay, I'll get an airplane scheduled up right away.

C'mon, you guys! That one definitely belongs in the jokes thread. Plus all those others you know of and have never bothered posting there. I'm ashamed that you lot too could be almost as po-faced as the HBs who think it was inappropriate for the astronauts to crack jokes. (Ducks, places arms over head, cringes and runs like h**l.)

Who was the last Apollo Capcom to fly in space?

Won't try to answer that one, but it does bring to mind something that thrills me. To have heard so many times, "Neil, we can see you coming down the ladder now," and eventually seeing the speaker cruising away from the shuttle alone in space and being the subject of those wonderful photos. And Tony England joking with the Apollo 16 astronauts and later taking a shuttle flight. Plus so many other Capcoms who did such a wonderful, professional job and with such good humour. If they never made it into space they certainly deserved to, in my opinion. Heroes all.

Karol Bobko?

Quote Originally Posted by Waarthog
    Karol Bobko?
    No. According to my information he wasn't an official Capcom.

Though as I answer this I realise now I don't know who were the Capcoms for the flights out and back.

If I may therefore revise my question,

"Who was the last Apollo surface Capcom to get into space?"

Or have I forfeited my rights? (Uh-oh.)

I wasn't sure if this was going to make it anyway as he was one of the Capcoms for the Apollo-Soyuz Test project. While not really a trick question, I think I went in a direction you didn't anticipate.

Both Karl Henize (capcom for Apollo 15) and Tony England (capcom for Apollo 16) first flew in space on STS-51F, launched 29th July 1985.

I can't think of any later than those guys. :-s