Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 121 to 132 of 132

Thread: International Space Station

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    34,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What would be the effect had it been in the descent module? Do returning astronauts not wear suits anyhow?
    It might have let in some superheated plasma maybe?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What would be the effect had it been in the descent module? Do returning astronauts not wear suits anyhow?
    Depends on the rate of pressure loss. If it were a very slow leak then probably not much effect because the astronauts are (supposed to be) in the descent module for only a few hours, and suited. That said, a 2mm hole isn't trivial so they might have seen a significant drop in pressure, especially if they had to suspend reentry for a short while to work out some other problem. And as mentioned a hole could allow super-heated gas to enter the module; 2mm might grow to 20mm in a hurry.

  3. #123
    Glom's Avatar
    Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    11,213
    Nothing has ever gone wrong with a spacecraft re-entering with a hole in it.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What would be the effect had it been in the descent module? Do returning astronauts not wear suits anyhow?
    You forgot what happened to Challenger? Unless they can fix the hole with heat shielding material, it will not come down to earth in one piece.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,922
    Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    You forgot what happened to Challenger? Unless they can fix the hole with heat shielding material, it will not come down to earth in one piece.
    That sounds more like the Columbia disaster, actually.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,494
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    That sounds more like the Columbia disaster, actually.
    Yes, and that was a dinner-plate size hole in a wing, not 2mm in a pressure vessel.
    It's a moot point, of course, as the damage was not in that module and the effect would depend on many other factors.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,610
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    That sounds more like the Columbia disaster, actually.
    Sorry my old age showing. That was Columbia and if you have a weakness in the hull with those extreme high temperatures, you are looking for trouble.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,610
    "Russia to End U.S. Space Station Rides in April"

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...l-end-in-april

    Russia’s contract to supply Soyuz ferry rides for NASA astronauts to the International Space Station ends in April, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov told reporters on Friday.

    The expiration piles additional pressure on the National Aeronautics and Space Administration to restore its own capability to shuttle U.S. crew members back and forth to the orbiting lab. The space agency is contracting with Boeing Co. and SpaceX to develop new vehicles to transport astronauts, but the work has been plagued by delays.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,610
    Cause of leak was due to ‘TECHNOLOGICAL ERROR’ states Roscosmos boss Dmitry Rogozin.

    http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/mi...logical-error/

    Last week’s depressurization event at the International Space Station may have been caused by human error, not a micrometeoroid impact, Roscosmos boss Dmitry Rogozin told Russian media. The handling of the problem suggests a lack of proper oversight by the Russian space agency.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    784
    https://phys.org/news/2018-09-russia...eliberate.html
    Russia says space station leak could be deliberate sabotage
    September 4, 2018

    Russia launched checks Tuesday after its space chief said an air leak on the International Space Station last week could have been deliberate sabotage. Space agency chief Dmitry Rogozin said the hole detected Thursday in a Russian space craft docked at the orbiting station was caused by a drill and could have been done deliberately, either back on Earth or by astronauts in space. Astronauts used tape to seal the leak after it caused a small loss of pressure that was not life-threatening.
    "There were several attempts at drilling," Rogozin said late Monday in televised comments. He added that the drill appeared to have been held by a "wavering hand." "What is this: a production defect or some premeditated actions?" he asked. "We are checking the Earth version. But there is another version that we do not rule out: deliberate interference in space."
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    https://phys.org/news/2018-09-russia...eliberate.html
    Russia says space station leak could be deliberate sabotage
    September 4, 2018

    Russia launched checks Tuesday after its space chief said an air leak on the International Space Station last week could have been deliberate sabotage. Space agency chief Dmitry Rogozin said the hole detected Thursday in a Russian space craft docked at the orbiting station was caused by a drill and could have been done deliberately, either back on Earth or by astronauts in space. Astronauts used tape to seal the leak after it caused a small loss of pressure that was not life-threatening.

    "There were several attempts at drilling," Rogozin said late Monday in televised comments. He added that the drill appeared to have been held by a "wavering hand." "What is this: a production defect or some premeditated actions?" he asked. "We are checking the Earth version. But there is another version that we do not rule out: deliberate interference in space."
    He's suggesting that an astronaut or cosmonaut sabotaged the orbital module on station? Seriously?

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,892
    Picture attributed to NASA: https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/05/...smos-sabotage/
    Also at Washington Post with NASA-Shutterstock link
    Last edited by Squink; 2018-Sep-05 at 03:28 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Take a 3-D Tour of the International Space Station
    By Fraser in forum Universe Today
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2011-Sep-26, 09:40 PM
  2. International Space Station.
    By elizabeth25 in forum Space Exploration
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2011-Jul-31, 10:10 AM
  3. International Space Station.
    By elizabeth25 in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2011-Jul-27, 07:34 PM
  4. International Space Station - 12/2/07
    By NGCHunter in forum Astrophotography
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2007-Dec-18, 06:47 PM
  5. International Space Station Sep 23,06
    By Shahriar.D in forum Astrophotography
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2006-Sep-27, 07:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •