Thread: best telescope for abouth $ 1000 usd

Hello,

im wanting to bey a telescope in the price reance for abouth $ 1000 usd.
    i want to see deepsky object, like Nebula and galecise.

whitch telescope do you people recement me?
    just name some brand and series names ore somthing.

thx

dont mind the spelling plz .. (im not englice)

I really love my celetron c8n. It gathers a lot of light has a sturdy mount. And is still portable.

Im looking for the same as you but aus money. I looked at http://www.celestron.com/telescopes.htm they have pretty good telescopes for ur budget im thinking about buying one. Try computerised.

i have an 8 inch SKP2001HEQ5 from skywatcher and u can see deep sky with it no prob
    i payed 850 can so you can eather go that way or go to celestron
    http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/SKP2001HEQ5.html

good luck

Talking

Check out Orion Telescopes, They have a lot of good quality scopes in your price range. I think you can get a 12" dob in that range, but don't quote me.

Quote Originally Posted by ATC_Astronomer
    Check out Orion Telescopes, They have a lot of good quality scopes in your price range. I think you can get a 12" dob in that range, but don't quote me.
    I agree that Orion is a good place to look for good scopes at good prices. The 12" (30cm) Dob (SkyQuest™ XT12 Classic Dobsonian) is $859. The XT12 IntelliScope is $969. With it, you can add the Computerized Object Locator for $130 to make it a "push to" scope. "Push To" is the poor man's "Go To". Like a "Go To" scope, you enter an object into the hand controller, but instead of motors to move the scope to the object, it gives you instructions on which direction to push the scope to reach the object. Push in the indicated directions until the desplay reads "00 00" and the object should be in the field of view.

I'm not sure if your budget includes things like additional eyepieces, filters and the like. If you already have all of those, you've already been shown some very decent options. If not, I would recommend something like Orion's Skyview Pro 8" EQ reflector ($618), which would leave you a few hundred dollars to get a solar filter, some colored eyepiece filters for when you eventually turn your gaze to the planets, a 2x barlow lens, and a good star atlas. (Orion's website is www.telescope.com - it's a good place to look around)

The 1000mm focal length might be a bit much for wide-field deep-sky work, though. Their Astroview 6" EQ reflector (for $369) has a focal length of 750mm, leaving you room to add a RA drive, and accessorize, including a good pair of binoculars if you don't already have 'em.

If $1,000 is for the scope only, there's a lot you can get, but if you don't have any of the add-ons, you'll find yourself budgeting them in eventually. The neat thing about accessories is once you buy them, you don't need to buy them again when you get a better scope.

Sincerely,
    Derrick Baumer

Lightbulb

There is no such thing as a telescope that is best for everyone, even given a particular price range.

It depends a lot on what is best for you, and others may be unable to make specific recommendations (well, some will, but the value may be limited) until they know more about such things as:

-- How important is portability? for example, will the scope be permanently mounted, or will you be transporting it? What kind of vehicle will it need to fit in? How much weight can you comfortably lift?

-- will you ever want to use the scope in the daytime, for birdwatching for example?

-- What will you primarily use the scope for? Deep sky objects, or just planets? Visual only, or will you be serious about imaging?

-- Do you need goto? Or will you find the objects yourself? Or what is your thoughts about computerized scopes? Is electric power a problem where you observe? Do you need tracking, or will you be able to move the scope yourself (such as with a Dob).

-- what temperatures? Will you be using the scope in very cold weather?

-- Do you want something that is quick to set up, maybe take advantage of a gap in the clouds? Or is something that takes awhile to set up and take down OK with you?

-- Do you have a lot of dew where you live?

and more questions....

The best thing to do is to some research. Read magazines and web sites, look at vendor web sites and catalogs. Get a book or three from your local library. Visit a local astronomy club, ask lots of questions and look through lots of scopes.

The worst thing to do is to run out and spend a bunch of money before you do the best thing. :-)

-- How important is portability? for example, will the scope be permanently mounted, or will you be transporting it? What kind of vehicle will it need to fit in? How much weight can you comfortably lift?

not important. (backjard only)

-- will you ever want to use the scope in the daytime, for birdwatching for example?

only for night time.

-- What will you primarily use the scope for? Deep sky objects, or just planets? Visual only, or will you be serious about imaging?

Deep sky objects, whit in the future imaging.

-- Do you need goto? Or will you find the objects yourself? Or what is your thoughts about computerized scopes? Is electric power a problem where you observe? Do you need tracking, or will you be able to move the scope yourself (such as with a Dob).

find the objects myself, whit mabe later computerized, and tracking.

-- what temperatures? Will you be using the scope in very cold weather?

where i live its not very cold, it ranges from +20 in the summer to -10 in the winter.

-- Do you want something that is quick to set up, maybe take advantage of a gap in the clouds? Or is something that takes awhile to set up and take down OK with you?

takes awhile to set up, it hase a littel shad where its gone stand.

-- Do you have a lot of dew where you live?

no, its always windy here.

The worst thing to do is to run out and spend a bunch of money before you do the best thing. :-)

thats why i ask it here

thanks fore the info all,
    but what abouth bilding one youre self? are there billding plans fore a home made telescoop? ore a bilding kid you can order?

For building yourself, the easiest is a Newtonian on a Dob mount. There are a number of plans on the internet, as well as books.

Quote Originally Posted by whatif?
    but what abouth bilding one youre self? are there billding plans fore a home made telescoop? ore a bilding kid you can order?
    I have built one telescope. It is 150mm aperture and f6 with mirrors my brother polished. It is very good for deep sky working with my 25mm eyepiece and planetary with my 6mm eyepiece and a barlow. It does not work for photography because it needs an equatorial mount for doing that. Building cost 45 USA dollars but mirrors were free and I already had eyepieces and accessories.

I really enjoy building this telescope. I had everything made but had to wait almost two months for my brother to finish the mirrors. Then I had to move the eyepiece hole because the primary mirror was different from what was planned but I thank my brother very much for his hard work. I know the design I used could be adjusted for a 200mm aperture or even larger and the plans were on the Sidewalk Astronomers website. I do not remember the link.

I would not trade this telescope for anything. If you do not have a brother like mine you can buy mirrors from Internet. http://www.e-scopes.cc/ Most people do not have a brother like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by whatif?

Deep sky objects, whit in the future imaging.

Get an equatorial mount.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

I'd spend some time at star parties, and join a local astronomy club. Spend some time using different types of scopes, figure out what you like to use best. The best scope is one that you will use the most.

You can check Orion SkyQuest XT8 I have this and it is working fine since 2018.