Page 163 of 164 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164 LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,890 of 4916

Thread: NEW MEMBER? Introduce yourself in this thread.

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Hi yassine!
    Welcome to CQ!

Best,
    dave

Hi everyone,
    I am Yassine I'm not really sure where to start. I am hesitating to make my first post until this moment. One of my reason to be here is to educate myself. And also to join in discussions wherein I can share my knowledge which might help (I hope so).

Howdy. I wish I knew something so I could share it.

LOL Chuck, I've always believed that the most knowledgeable people worth their salt realize just how ignorant they truly are.

Hi, I am Timbuctoo and I am originally from Nepal. I am here because I love astronomy and space exploration. I am also interested in the privatization of space exploration and I am here to make friends with similar interests and share my views on these topics.

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Hi Timbuctoo!
    Welcome to CQ!

Best,
    dave

Hi. Dee here! My husband is from the Uk, so we are currently back and forth. Thank you for letting me be part of the community!

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Hi Dee!
    Welcome to CQ!

Best,
    dave

Thank you for the warm welcome

Forum Welcomer Emeritus

I really do love it here! Absolutely great forum

Hello all

Hi everyone. I am John, from Canada. I am new to this forum and glad to be here.

Welcome Jihn from the maritimes.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Hi john douglas. I merged your thread into our general welcome thread. Have fun.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. My name is Anthony and I was googling Fraser Cain, and got here. I ran across his YouTube channel and became a big fan of his channel. I love everything about the Universe, even though it causes me to stay awake at night on occasion. I'm not much of a reader, so I am extremely grateful for YouTube, which has allowed me to gain a breadth of knowledge on this topic.

I was also hoping to reach out to the space community to seek support in a planetary mapping startup that I'm kickstarting. I do not want to break every rule in the book, so wanted to see if this was okay! (ahem* google ahem* MARS: Ultra Large Maps). Look forward to gain and add value to the forums!

I could use some better maps. My last two Mars rovers fell into canals.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I could use some better maps. My last two Mars rovers fell into canals.
    hah, we actually mapped out where your rover's resting places are. The map is centered around Oxia Palus (roughly the size of Brazil). Good luck on your next exploration!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12823058_10207024873759365_1590183430_o.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	22272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12837272_10207024873559360_1889101273_o.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	22271  

Hi. I am James Putnam, age 74, live in Colorado, been on the Internet since 2001, haven't participated in science forums for a while with one exception, Questing1 introduced me to CosmoQuest, spent some time looking through the forum rules and threads, my writings about physics are against the main stream, they are many and are easily found by search engine, thinking about posting in the ATM thread, your site here is well run.

Howdy! I'm saving my ATM material for the executor of my will to post for me so I won't have to defend it. Also, getting a lifetime ban after I'm dead would be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Howdy! I'm saving my ATM material for the executor of my will to post for me so I won't have to defend it. Also, getting a lifetime ban after I'm dead would be funny.
    I sense a new rule being formed, as we speak!
    Text messaging is a frivolous vanity feature, not something serious like vBulletin.

Quote Originally Posted by James Putnam View Post
    Hi. I am James Putnam, age 74, live in Colorado, been on the Internet since 2001, haven't participated in science forums for a while with one exception, Questing1 introduced me to CosmoQuest, spent some time looking through the forum rules and threads, my writings about physics are against the main stream, they are many and are easily found by search engine, thinking about posting in the ATM thread, your site here is well run.
    Welcome. Come for the Against the Mainstream, stay for the Fun n Games!
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Hi Solfe, Thanks for the welcome. I was ATM before joining the Internet. I spent some time before that discussing on the Usenet. If by Fun and games you mean the cost of discussion that can range from 'banned for life' to receiving positive responses from persons who's opinions count, then I have had many years of "fun and games". Something of great importance about the Internet is that it is not yet 'Mainstream'. It has room for everyone. Forums are restrictive for good reason, but they sometimes also include room for ATM. CosmoQuest does that. I will post something that I think is important for physics. However, it does not become important for physics until physicists decide it is important. Mainstream needs to test dissent. Even physicists sometimes get rough treatment. However, ATM persons, I am one, exist because Mainstream also needs to be tested.

James Putnam

Good to see you here James. There are people here that will appreciate your thoughtful and considered approach. A valuable new participant to the conversation here at CQ.
    Life's a waste of time, and puzzling the puzzles is the best way to waste it

Open mind for a different view

Hi Questing1. Our conversations brought me here. Questing1 has read much of what I have written. He quickly grasped the ideas, and, has demonstrated an understanding of what it is that I do better than anyone that I have conversed for all the time that my work has been public. I do not presume that others here will agree with what I say. It has, though, been enjoyable to talk with someone who understands the ideas that I write about. Also, he has ideas of his own that both make use of some of what I have written and may even advance it. We are at a stage where I am learning his ideas and looking to see what I think works. Not that it is required for us to agree; rather, it is a case of him extending a combination of each of our ideas into a comprehensive view of how the Universe works. I haven't introduced anything here yet. The clearly necessary Newbie moderation can be sluggish for participation in active discussions, but, rightfully needs to run its course. Thank you Questing1 for your message.

James Putnam

I was ATM before joining the Internet. James Putnam
    I have been giving some thought as to where your ideas stand in relation of being considered mainstream or not. I'm still forming my opinion, so this is a question I will be trying to answer during your discussions with moderators and other members here. How, where are mainstream borders drawn by those who defend it?

A primary theme underlying your work is focused on restructuring the units used to measure observations and describe theory. But a distinction should be made between the units which are the tools, and are not actually the theory. You can build a map in imperial measures or metric, but the map topography is not necessarily altered by your choice. The question is not whether one or the other is right theory, but whether one or the other is a more useful tool. And so this aspect of your work is not correctly termed "against the mainstream". And the people who have marginalized your ideas by saying it is, have missed something in their thinking that should be obvious.

Sure, if you then take your new units and use them to contradict mainstream theoretical reasoning's, that would be different. And I do believe you have such items in mind, so ATM is going to be the right stage for you to begin here. However, my hope is that by the time you have concluded your ATM presentation, moderators and members here will appreciate the aspect of your work which is not incompatible with mainstream, and might be allowed for discussion within other sub forums here at CQ. If you James can learn to work within the general parameters set out by the moderators here.

I am glad to have been able to introduce you to Cosmoquest, not just for your sake for finding a wonderful corner of the internet, but also for the benefit of the community here. James is a highly accomplished thinker, and a valuable new addition to this community, I hope it will be realized.

I think you could make some lasting friends here James, and perhaps find an outlet for continued discussions of aspects of your work, if not all. So perhaps you could seek for this understanding with the moderators here. Moderators here are accomplished in their own right, and will realize the distinction between tool and theory.
    Last edited by Questing1; 2017-Apr-27 at 02:30 AM.
    Life's a waste of time, and puzzling the puzzles is the best way to waste it

Open mind for a different view

Quote Originally Posted by Questing1 View Post
    I have been giving some thought as to where your ideas stand in relation of being considered mainstream or not. I'm still forming my opinion, so this is a question I will be trying to answer during your discussions with moderators and other members here. How, where are mainstream borders drawn by those who defend it?
    I think this is discussion is getting beyond our simple welcome thread. Please drop it.

If you wish to continue it, please start a new thread, such as in Feedback.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Saitama View Post
    hah, we actually mapped out where your rover's resting places are. The map is centered around Oxia Palus (roughly the size of Brazil). Good luck on your next exploration!
    Hi, welcome to Cosmoquest. I was wondering, what's the meaning of your username? Is it from 埼玉?
    As above, so below

I don't do this often, so I hope I followed the procedure correctly... James Putnam should now be able to post here without waiting for post approval.
    Please let us know if he is still unable to make immediate posts.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Greetings, earth creatures!

I am Larry Beckham of Austin, Earth. Though many in Texas consider Austin to be from another planet and we encourage with our motto, "Keep Austin Weird". I am 64 yo retired, disabled man and rekindling my first love, astronomy. In about third grade, I read a book on the Moon. It was a year or two after Sputnik 1 and it hooked on reading and study space.

Long-time lover of Astronomy Cast and nursing a bad addiction to the WSH crew. I have been before, I let my account lapse and got it restarted and doing a bit of citizen science again.

I have a few avatars and handle in my years in the Net. I started in the days of 1200 baud modems and BBS's (WWIV!). Now I am at lowest tier of my ISP with 100 mbs - two or three times what I need, actually but seriously, it is nice. I am using my Real Name like the owners of this forum - I generally am paranoid as all get out, but this same like a safe place to engage in some character building. LBeck is newspeak for Larry Beckham. My side of the Beckham family left the Motherland below the Civil War and only recently, younger member had started to take up soccer. I was AMAZING to see T-shirt with my name all over London when I visited the Motherland at the Turn of the Millennium. And with the rise of David and Victoria, I don't have to spell my name so much and explain and the "h" is silent.

My math skill are lacking and my communication skills had suffer a few year ago with a stroke. "I typo, therefore I am". I am somewhat opinionated cuss and prown to yell out EPICYCLES during discussion of cosmic inflation, dark energy, and string theory (I prefer my gravity loopy not stringy). But I am mostly harmless.

The announcement in 2014 of B-mode CMB polarization consistent with that predicted from inflation had been demonstrated by BICEP2 at the South Pole had me worried a bit but it turned out the noise. I was a fan of the The Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI) of quantum mechanics but now Many Interacting Worlds theory seems to explain WHY quantum mechanics exist and it just elegant.

And then this...

LED ZEPPELIN FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by lbeck View Post
    [snip irrelevant stuff]LED ZEPPELIN FOREVER!
    Welcome to Cosmoquest, Larry!

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice