Page 5 of 165 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW MEMBER? Introduce yourself in this thread.

Talking

Hello: Superluminal, SW Arkansas, site of the recent Ark-La-Tex Star Party attended by BABBers tmosher and, soon to make her triumphant return, Candy.

Hi, I'm Jorge Schrauwen (i wonder how many will pronouce this right )
    I'm came from BABB been register for a bit over a year i think.
    My main interest lies with computer (Software/Hardware) and Networks (webserver/hardware). So ask me anything about those if you like.

In my free time when i'm not doing things for school or coding on my pc.
    I try to go outside with my telescope, not that i see much with all the light polution here in antwerp, belgium. I do see a bit more with my new refractor (cheap one, but still nice at least for me, since i don't use it often)

if there is anything else you want to know... feel free to ask.

Oh btw: my name is spanish, but i'm belgian.

I'm iron4, I'm a "twenteenager" living in Europe, amateur astronomer with a strong interest in theoretical physics

My goals: Abolition of religion, also to augment my collection of CDs, and last but not least, world domination (Muhahahaha)

Nice to see you all here. Take care

Talking Swift Hi

Hello all. I'm Swift, as in Jonathan Swift, with whom I share a first name and a love of sarcasm. I was imported with the rest of the BABBers.

Professionally I'm an inorganic chemist and have been growing crystals for various companies for over 20 years. I've loved space and science since the dawn of the space age (born in 1958, I'll leave it to the students to do the math).

I'm also a nature-geek and a train buff. I share a household with a wife and a cat. I was born and raised in New York City, but have called Northeast Ohio home for almost 20 years (hi Andromeda and NEOwatcher).

Still trying to get the hang of vB, I can learn new tricks, but it takes some time.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Hi Bob: We are neighbors, more or less. I live on the north side of Cinci and go to Dayton fairly frequently. Do you belong to the MVAS? I don't but go to some of their functions none-the-less.

Charlie-in-Dayton (CID) and I have hung at the last few Apollo Rendezvous'. We're thinking we'd try to sponsor a BABB (now BAUT) BBQ & star gaze at the MVAS dark sky site. We thought it'd be a good opportunity to put some faces with names.

hi, crosscountry here a.k.a Isaac Smith

I'm a student and TA at the university of Missouri St. Louis. I just started graduate work and teaching. wish me luck.

also, I earned "crosscountry" from running in highschool and college. since then I've re-earned it by riding my motorcycles 57,000 miles in the last 2 years to 44 different states of the U.S.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

G'day all,

I'm Josh from Melbourne, Australia. I'm 27 and work as an aero engineer mostly with stopping the "aging" in "aging aircraft". A plane crash inhibitor. Mostly work on military aircraft but not only.

I love all things space. Along with that, I like anything that keeps me active: surfing, motorcycling, gymnastics, reading (brains needs exercise too, especially mine) ...

Someone mentioned earlier about just getting their motorbike licence. I have two things to say:
    1. beware of idiots in cars doing u-turns - hitting them isn't much fun (but make for a great story).
    2. the little stickers on the back of trucks that say "do not overtake turning vehicle" are there for a very good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    Hi Bob: We are neighbors, more or less. I live on the north side of Cinci and go to Dayton fairly frequently. Do you belong to the MVAS? I don't but go to some of their functions none-the-less.

Charlie-in-Dayton (CID) and I have hung at the last few Apollo Rendezvous'. We're thinking we'd try to sponsor a BABB (now BAUT) BBQ & star gaze at the MVAS dark sky site. We thought it'd be a good opportunity to put some faces with names.
    Hi Russ. We are pretty close neighbors because I live on the south side of Dayton, just west of Centerville. I'm really not into observational astronomy at the moment so I never bothered to join MVAS, but I did attend one meeting and met Charlie. The time when I was really big into observing was while I was living in Alabama (1988-98). If you guys ever do the BBQ & star gaze please let me know, it sounds like fun.

I'm Jon from Iceland. I am bit of a lurker on this forum and it will remain like that for time to come.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry
    .....since then I've re-earned it by riding my motorcycles 57,000 miles in the last 2 years to 44 different states of the U.S.

If you manage to include Hawaii in the list of states to which you have ridden, you will forever gain the respect of all!

Ground Control To Major Tom...

Greetings This is XENON_PLASMA (XP for short) living in the balmy climes of the concrete jungle that is Toronto. Was a BABB member until my comp died and now I'm back again. Just starting out in actual observing (just got a 4.5" refractor for my b-day but I'm waiting for a part to come in for it that broke )

But I've been an advid astronomy buff for quite sometime now and I'm hoping to get some advice and tips when I start observing!

Blake Parker, 15 of Cullman,AL

I've been interested in Astronomy since I was 3 and a member of the Forum for what, 2 months. My hobbies are flying model rockets ( the small ones, I would go into High power if it wasn't so expensive).Viewing object with my 9 year old Orion telescope that I got for my 6th birthday. Also building models, such as the massive USS Excelsior I started today (100% scrathbuilt).

I attend classes at Cullman Highschool where I play in the band and on the scholars bowl team.I'm also the school space enthusiast ( the one and only)I plan to attend college at either Auburn University or Embry Riddle, Auburn seems most likely. There I plan to study Engineering

Greetings!

I'm Reacher, or Scott Alexander Fairclough.
    I'm a BABBler from a while back, but over the years (Has it been years? :S ) I've never posted much.
    I like Rugby, Soccer, and my awesome cat, Shino.
    I'm 17, also born on the 10th of the 10th. I live in Perth, Aus.
    My science interests pretty much stick to physics, and when I can I attend lectures at universities I'm not enrolled at. By 'When I can' I mean 'Twice so far,' which sucks.
    I love History, but it's been a long time since I read any books on it.

Oh, and in a few months I'll be a hard-worked miner up north, but for now I'm stuck in an atrocious automotive job.

Hi, folks, another BABBler here. I'm Phil. Except there was already a Phil on the BABB who was rather more important than me, so I guess I'm just pmcolt. Graduated from NC State University in 2003, and I'm currently putting my B.S. in Computer Engineering to good use in a low-paying, low-level maintenance position. (There's not an emoticon for it, so just picture me banging my head against a brick wall at this point.) As a rule, nowadays I don't post unless I feel I can contribute something. So, this may very well be the last y'all see of me for a looooooong time. Nice to meet everyone, though.

Wink

My name is Paulette, I'm 25 years old, born in Colombia and raised in New York City.
    I'm a fulltime legal assistant at a law firm and also attend school parttime. I'm going for a degree in business but what I really want to do is be an astronomer.
    In my spare time I hang out with my friends, surf the net and read this fine forum.
    I'm kind of new but enjoy reading all the things your brilliant minds have to say.

And in case you're all wondering, Reina means Queen in spanish. I picked the name because I'm special like that, lol.

Ok, carry on.

Gosh, there are a few other Aussies here, and some of them from Melbourne,too - yay.

Hi, all, my username may be a little tricky, but I am neither 'bad' nor a chap. I've come over from BABB, too, although I don't usually have all that much to say - usually do more lurking /reading than posting.
    There's always so much fascinating stuff to learn about astronomy and space, love it.
    Looks like it may take me a little while to find my way around here, but it should be fun.
    regards, Carmel.

If only there were this many Melbourne people around when three of us met up for the venus transit last year! (top of victoria gardens shopping centre carpark ... anyone make it there?). Maybe for the next one ... see you in 6 and half years. You'll spot me .. i'll be wearing a pair of blue jeans.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pmcolt
    Hi, folks, another BABBler here. I'm Phil. Except there was already a Phil on the BABB who was rather more important than me, so I guess I'm just pmcolt. Graduated from NC State University in 2003, and I'm currently putting my B.S. in Computer Engineering to good use in a low-paying, low-level maintenance position. (There's not an emoticon for it, so just picture me banging my head against a brick wall at this point.) As a rule, nowadays I don't post unless I feel I can contribute something. So, this may very well be the last y'all see of me for a looooooong time. Nice to meet everyone, though.
    Heh- there's already a colt as well

As a rule, nowadays I don't post unless I feel I can contribute something.
    Every post is contributing somthing- so join in!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    If only there were this many Melbourne people around when three of us met up for the venus transit last year! (top of victoria gardens shopping centre carpark ... anyone make it there?). Maybe for the next one ... see you in 6 and half years. You'll spot me .. i'll be wearing a pair of blue jeans.
    We viewed the transit from up in our cubby house here at home.

But I'll be sure to look out for you at the next one.

Hi,

I'm CaptainKirk, otherwise known as Sean Connelly. I'm 26 and live in Santa Barbara, CA. I'm a junky for anything and everything space and plan to start doing a mass amount of amateur astronomy and look forward to reading this forum compulsively.

On a side note, I was amazingly surprised that CaptainKirk was not taken.

Hello, my name is Candy. Could someone pinch me, because I must be dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel
    If you manage to include Hawaii in the list of states to which you have ridden, you will forever gain the respect of all!
    Don't laugh. A few years ago, a bunch of Cubans tried to drive a vintage 1950s Ford pick-up truck to Florida. They almost made it...

Montebianco, a.k.a. Khrushchev's Other Shoe at http://illuminati-r-us.cylan.net/Forums. A social scientist of sorts pretending to be a mathematician. Older than most of you, and definitely more evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy
    Hello, my name is Candy. Could someone pinch me, because I must be dreaming.
    Hi Candy, welcome back from Arkansas. You know me as Khrushchev's Other Shoe.

PINCH!

Smile

Wow, lots of Aussies on the board, awesome! I do hope the Southern Cross is shining bright for all you folks down there 8-)

Myself, I'm originally from Chapel Hill, NC. I am currently studying meteorology and hope to go into weather consulting some day. I enjoy astronomy (naturally), photography, Cheerwine, the films of Hayao Miyazaki (see avatar), MST3K, Significant Tornadoes 1680-1991 (a well-worn tome of US tornadic events), and the national parks of the Sierra Nevada.

It's great to be on a new board! Here's hoping for some great threads to come!

Hi. I am Rhiannon. I am new here, though I have always had an interest in astronomy.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    I ought to post in this thread.

Those of you from the BABB may know me well enough. For those who don't, I'm an astro grad student at the U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, going for my Ph.D. (I'm really disappointed that I can now only work for a paper one-not that I was going to make BadPhD any time soon at BABB.) My Bachelor's degree is in physics, and I'm a sci-fi geek in general, but the handle should give away the series near and dear to my heart. (It also indicates the social ineptness and the brown thumb-if only he was a scientist and not an engineer. ) Well, I think that's enough of a journey into the frightening depths.

Oh, Reacher, nice name. Looks very familiar, except for the last.
    It also somehow inspired what I should do for a avatar at the moment.

-Dax

Smile

This is mainly a test post for me, as today is the first day I became aware that the forum had changed.

I am a Dane, living in Houston, Texas. I work for the visitor center to NASA, and tend to believe that I know everything--then I come here and get humbled by how much I do not know.

I forgot to add, that I enjoy telling a certain wannabe world leader that he is not the great Turtleman he thinks he is. (Hi Humphry, are you around yet? )
    Last edited by NASA Fan; 2005-Sep-06 at 05:56 AM. Reason: adding info

i am taks. i have been around, disturbing the status quo since the very first BABB... back in the olden days.

taks

Im Chris,
    im 26 and working as a software developer in Cardiff. Thats where i got my Astrophysics degree (just a bsc which leaves me feeling underqualified compared to some on the board!)
    I divide my time between writing my computer game (likely never to be finished!) flightsims, astronomy of course and battering plexiglass in support of my local hockey team

I'm 26 living in Gothenburg, Sweden. I have always had a passionate interest in mathematics, physics and understanding our Universe. Figuring that most part of the Universe is beyond our little planet, astronomy fascinates me greatly. Sadly, my location doesn't give me many opportunities to watch the skies.

Parallell to this, I've been deeply into computers and programming since I was about 10. This is also what I do for a living; running a small business developing software solutions and provide specialized hosting.

My "spare" time goes mostly to swimming, mountain climbing, playing guitar and studying physics/math. Usually I also have one or two over-ambitious projects, eg. some software or designing fighter aircraft .

EDIT: Since I generally don't make much noise, I might add that I'm from the old BABB.
    Last edited by Robert Andersson; 2005-Sep-06 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added heritage