Thread: Join the Bad Astronomy/Universe Today BOINC Team

Join the Bad Astronomy/Universe Today BOINC Team

SUMMARY: What is your computer doing when you're not using it? If your answer is "nothing", then you need to put it to work in the name of science - finding aliens, detecting gravity waves, or predicting asteroid paths. Join the Universe Today and Bad Astronomy team, and compete with other teams worldwide to see who can help crunch the most data. We'd love to get your help.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

Thumbs up Thanks Fraser

I know it's self-serving for a team member to say congrats on this story, but I've always served self first:

Congratulationss to azazul for this excellent summary of the BOINC distributed computing projects & how to join them and the BAUT forum's teams.

And especial thanks to Fraser for publishing it in the newsletter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Vogt
    Congratulationss to azazul for this excellent summary
    Thanks.

I added information about Universe Today to the web page.
    Now the web page is at www.csphysmath.com/BAUTteam.html, but there is a redirect from the old URL.

I did not join the team, but my computer has been working for LHC for a couple of weeks now. It is great fun because I am very enthusiastic about the LHC. Thank you for informing me about the possibility.

No problem, Fortunate, if you don't wish to join thats fine, but you are welcome to at any point. I agree about the LHC, as an undergrad, I have done some studying in High Energy Physics (through computer simulations) and am glad to help make a project such as the LHC successful, even if only through LHC@Home.

Thumbs up Useful forum

I've generally looked for resources wherever I can find them, and I've let my computer work for SETI, but I'm glad to have found the others listed in this thread. I'm forwarding them to other groups to which I belong that might be interested.

I'm glad to have found the others listed in this thread
    Welcome to the forum, LSBailey.

There are indeed some useful projects out there, and many more being developed. Its good to hear you are helping pass the word about these projects.

Sadly the PC I use mainly is in work, therefore, I can't participate. When I get my ultra high speed connection at home, then count me in!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakenorrsih
    Sadly the PC I use mainly is in work, therefore, I can't participate. When I get my ultra high speed connection at home, then count me in!
    We'll be glad to have you.

Arrow Important update

Calling all crunchers:

For those running Einstein@Home on Windows platforms, Ken Vogt has posted significant news about the release of optimized E@H applications over in our Astronomy section. These spiffy new apps have yielded substantial performance gains for Intel and AMD users participating in the project.

If you haven't caught wind of the details yet, be sure to read all about them.

Count me in - I've joined the team! After years of not having Internet access, it's finally great to be able to say that I'm not just talking about SETI anymore, I'm doing something about it! Way cool! as my nephew would say. :-)

Oh phooey! I'm already boincing Einstein & Seti...

I don't wanna lose my credits.

But we're all helping.

Im in, IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE!!

Now this sure sounds like something that I've been doing on my own almost daily for the last several years!... But even though there is no crystall ball here, the future dates of "changes" that will be detected within Nature, is fun to do... such as the 27th, there lies a shift within nature likened unto the next shift date of Mar. 3rd. Do we look at these Natural disturbances near term, or upon what time frame into the future to view?
    Storms & Weather, of course, is another horse of a different color, but has it's projectors too, and is largely dependent upon a number of events correlating with the sunspot cycle.. [the Jupiters baby :-}
    Oh well... since I'm new here...guess I'll get the hang to what's going on here in due time.. :-}

howdy, i'm new to these boards.
    i just came across this thread and have added my computer to this forum's Einstein team, at least until Orbit starts up.
    my primary interest in astronomy are NEOs, space plasma studies &, when desiring good thoughtful banter, cosmology. great stuff.
    i am a retired pilot and was active with the L-1011 stargazer-pergasus program.

I have been using BOINC for a few years, with an absence of a couple of month because of viruses and spyware that took my PC over. Now I am back in business in my old SETI Star Wars Team listening to what ET might say to us. So far... nothing, but I do not despair. It is a great opportunity to help.

hey I wanna be in but what exactly must I do or do I have to meet some criteria ?

Been wanting to restat SETI. Now I have a reason. I should be starting in a few days.

I've been contributing spare computational time to seti@home since 1999 and evidently we have something like a quarter million credits at this time. I was on the Skepticality team but nobody else there has been doing much so I came over to the BAUT team.

what happened to all the posts that were in the "no Doomsday 2012" thread??? where were they moved to????

Hi
    Just to say hello. Was posting on the "No doomsday in 2012".
    Leah

i have been running seti @ home since 2000, can i switch teams to yours??

thanks for allowing me to join this forum too

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Saguaro1951 View Post
    i have been running seti @ home since 2000, can i switch teams to yours??

thanks for allowing me to join this forum too
    Sure you can, if that is what you want to do.

Just go to your s@h account page, quit team, search team BAUT, join team.
    All the credits you earn after that will also be earned by team BAUT.

And to BAUT.