Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: International Star Registry

Unhappy Can these stars be seen?

Aurora - I thought you could at least see the "star" in a scope but just using coordinates? That is so sad. My friend's children got him a star (he's an astronomer and they thought it would be a nice birthday present) and it sounded like one of the hardest things in his life he ever had to tell someone (me) about the "star". He was so disapointed, I could'nt ask him anything about it (if it was visible,etc).

Speaking of named objects "out there", I have the honor (among a dozen or so first names) of having a crater on the Moon with my first (nick name) "Billy" and it's easily visible in any modest scope. The best thing about it is that I didn't spend a cent! I feel so bad for all those people out there who got duped with the star registry. I wonder how many out there bought land on the Moon or Mars? Thanks for the reply, Mr Q

You know, I think it would actually be easier to tell people they got conned if they spent more money. It's not enough to really make people angry at the price it is. It just kind of makes them sad. If it cost $250 or $500, that might be enough to really start angering people, but I think it would also make a lot less for the companies, since fewer people would be able to afford them. I'm not even sure if there is a bottom amount for how much each individual has to be defrauded for it to legally count. I'm also not sure if anyone (other than that greatest of lawyers, Jack McCoy!) could really make a legal case for fraud on this, anyway.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Just to complete the series...

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/pr/2008/pr080220.gif

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/pr/2008/pr080221.gif

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/pr/2008/pr080222.gif

As long as Star Registry (or any similar enterprise) is upfront about explaining that they aren't really naming a star or selling you property on the moon or Mars, that all you are buying is a fancy certificate (which you could make on your PC, but it's not "the same"), I have no problem with them making a buck or six.

However, when that enterprise fails to be upfront about this, or - worse - pretends that what thay are doing has any sort of scientific or legal standing, then I do have a problem. They are scamming the gullible.

And if that is way worse than telling that gullible person that Polaris hasn't been renamed to honor late Gramma Ruth. Telling them is upsetting, but it doesn't take their money.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I used to buy novelty stars like candy as 'dozen-roses-alternative' gifts.
    (This was before any contribution-worthy Adopt-A-Star programs
    existed).
    The International Star Registry even offered me their Cluster Club Visa.

BTW, I'm still stuck with a star in Ursa Minor's bowl from a breakup before the certificate arrived.
    A shame, being as it's in such prime celestial real estate.
    Years later, I'm still looking for another qualifying recipient hottie with the initials 'TLS'.
    Until then, the 11th magnitude sun just goes by 'Tough Luck, Saber'.

Stephen Saber
    http://www.astronomyblogs.com/member/saberscorpx

I have been checking various websites for a while now and I stumbled upon this one Name a Star and I was wondering is this legit or not? It looks legit to me and they are using a Star register which as they say is one of the largest amongst the world. So how is it, is this good enought for me to be naming a star? Might order one to check myself how they do their service because besides others this one looks more than legit than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Michealbold View Post
    I have been checking various websites for a while now and I stumbled upon this one Name a Star and I was wondering is this legit or not? It looks legit to me and they are using a Star register which as they say is one of the largest amongst the world. So how is it, is this good enought for me to be naming a star? Might order one to check myself how they do their service because besides others this one looks more than legit than others.
    That depends on what you mean by legitimate. It appears to me that nothing has changed in the 9 years since the last post before yours in this thread. This registration website works with International Star Registry, which if I am not mistaken is a commercial firm that uses its own proprietary star catalogue which is not generally used by professional research astronomers.

At the bottom of the home page they offer stars that are supposedly visible from any place on earth. To be true that would have to include the poles, which would limit you to stars in a narrow strip along the celestial equator, only a tiny fraction of the sky, and bright enough to see through the atmosphere just above the horizon. That raises a red flag as far as I am concerned. If you only wish to specify one that is visible at your location, I would recommend asking them to give precise coordinates and specify the epoch (J2000, etc.). If they have registered over 50,000 stars they probably have used up the bright ones, so you would need a telescope to see and identify whatever is left. I would insist on accurate coordinates and a good finder chart, along with a guarantee of a full refund if you are not satisfied.

I'm sort of repeating, but I think it's important to be clear about what you mean by legitimate? Legitimate in what sense?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Michealbold View Post
    ... I was wondering is this legit or not?
    I have a "plot", too, given to me by my Son as a joke.

In other words, you can't fly to the Moon and set up a homestead, as you only "own" the certificate.

DOH!....

....obviously I thought this was about the Moon Plot "scam"....so take out all references to the Moon and replace with "star" and it almost works.
    Last edited by R.A.F.; 2017-Jul-13 at 11:05 PM.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

It's right there in the title...star...
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

I will license star names to would-be parents. If you want to name your child after any of my stars, say "Acrab" or "Segin" you just have to send me 1500 of whatever your earthy currency is. As an added bonus, I will allow you to append your child name with one of the following symbols: ℠, ģ, ™, or © for an addition 150 of whatever earthy currency you happen to have lying around.

Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

I'll name anything for $10.00. Just send me $10.00, tell me what you want me to name, and tell me what you want its name to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I'll name anything for $10.00. Just send me $10.00, tell me what you want me to name, and tell me what you want its name to be.
    I'll do it for $9.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I'll do it for $9.
    I'll do it for $2.

What?...I thought this was a bidding war.

I see we have a flurry of posts lampooning this star-naming business. To get serious about questioning the legitimacy of it, let's look at a typical star in Stellarium. I clicked on Fomalhaut and got the following:

Fomalhaut, a name handed down from antiquity and subject to some linguistic permutations.
    Alpha PsA, from Bayer's catalogue.
    24 PsA, from Flamsteed's catalogue.
    HIP 113368, from the recently created Hipparcos catalogue.
    HD 216956, from Henry Draper's catalogue.

To that list we can hypothetically add:
    John Doe's star, entered by something like International Star Registry into their proprietary catalogue for a fee paid by John Doe or by someone on behalf of him. Is this commercial product any more or less "legitimate" than the aforementioned astronomical documents? I would say that is in the eyes of the beholder. If John Doe and/or whoever acted on his behalf are happy with the service, there should be no issue technically. If ISR made a claim to which they cannot live up, they may be afoul of truth in advertising laws, but sellers of gimmicks like this usually have their lawyers vet their claims to stay out of trouble.

If a guest at a star party asked me for a look at a star from such a registry, I would have to ask them if the company had given them accurate coordinates and/or a good finder chart. I would explain that to the best of my knowledge, astronomers do not use that registry for locating and identifying stars.

The main point for me, is illustrated in the OP post...bolding mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
    The major local radio station here (WHAS840 in Louisville, Kentucky) has been airing commercials for the International Star Registry which offers to "name a star" for you. For a price, of course.

If you charge money to give an irrelevant "name" to a star, well, that's a scam, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    I'll do it for $2.

What?...I thought this was a bidding war.
    I'll do it for $20, we're going to be the Starbucks of ... star bucks. O that's brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    If you charge money to give an irrelevant "name" to a star, well, that's a scam, plain and simple.
    I don't agree. As long as the person understands that all they are getting is a pretty certificate and that they are not getting an enforceable claim to a star, then it might even be a good way to get children interested in astronomy.
    As above, so below

I don't think they're claiming to do anything they can't really do. They're just not mentioning that anyone can do it. I can give any star any name that I like and write it in a book. I don't need to pay someone else to do it. I guess they count on most people not realizing this and thinking that the International Star Registry must have some kind of needed authority to do so.

So all of these star naming business...

Star registration dot com...star namer dot net...star name registry dot org...online star register dot org...star registry dot com...star namer dot net...

...serve an actual purpose besides making money?

....and It's no secret how to get youngsters interested in space/astronomy/science...and it's certainly not by lying to them about imaginary ownership of something..

Just take them outside, and show them the sky...show them points of interest...show them the rings of Saturn.

Giving money to this organization is not how I would go about introducing science/space to a child... I would buy a child a "starter" telescope.

They'd certainly get more use out of it than they would a meaningless piece of paper.

Just sayin'

This thread illustrates rather precisely why geologists have jealous feelings in regard to astronomers. It seems there are several companies selling, rather disreputably, star names, but you try to set up a company that will name sand grains, even if they are on quite a well known beach and nothing! Absolutely nothing! Now is that fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Eclogite View Post
    This thread illustrates rather precisely why geologists have jealous feelings in regard to astronomers. It seems there are several companies selling, rather disreputably, star names, but you try to set up a company that will name sand grains, even if they are on quite a well known beach and nothing! Absolutely nothing! Now is that fair?
    I hope you posted this in jest. A star, even a very faint one, can be found and positively identified if the customer has accurate coordinates or a good finder chart, along with a suitable telescope. A grain of sand will not remain in place on a beach and has no practical identifying marks.

Geologists could name years for money. There are billions of them.

I expect the Year of the Sniveling Goat would fetch more than the Year of the Flatulent Dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I hope you posted this in jest. A star, even a very faint one, can be found and positively identified if the customer has accurate coordinates or a good finder chart, along with a suitable telescope. A grain of sand will not remain in place on a beach and has no practical identifying marks.
    No practical identifying marks apart from mineral composition, isotope ratios, roundness, angularity, surface texture and internal structure for starters. Pinning down the location is a bit tricky, so we might need to go for sand grains in a rock rather than a beach. (And yes, it was in jest.)

I like it. Send me your bank details and I'll cut you in for 10%.

Wavelengths of light could also be given names. And units of mass, length, area, and volume that don't already have names. And angles. And speeds. And durations of time.