Thread: Orion 80mm f/7.5 ED Apochromatic Refractor help

Orion 80mm f/7.5 ED Apochromatic Refractor help

I am thinking about getting a Orion 80mm f/7.5 ED Apochromatic Refractor as my first telescope, it doesn't come w/ a stand though. So if anyone could give me some advice about wich one to get it would be really nice.

Welcome to the board Catherine 01. I did some googling and that sounds like a decent telescope. The same search mentioned the SkyView Pro EQ mount. You should drop down to another section of this board called Astronomical Observing, Equipment and Accessories which is in the lower Space & Astronomy section that deals with questions like yours as this question might be missed up here by someone that can give you better advice than my cursory google search.

Happy stargazing!

[Edited wonce b-cuase it seams eye kan't spel todae]
    Last edited by Archer17; 2006-Jan-29 at 07:38 AM.

Moved to a more appropriate location.

I own several small rich-field refractors. An alt-azimuth mount is usually a better match for this type of instrument. I've never used one (I own Bogen and Tele Vue mounts) but, if you want to stay with Orion, their AZ-3 Altazimuth Mount - http://www.telescope.com/shopping/pr...iProductID=290 - might prove sufficient, since Orion sells their 90mm Explorer f/10.1 achromatic refractor with what appears to be that mount.

Dave Mitsky

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mitsky
    An alt-azimuth mount is usually a better match for this type of instrument.
    Not necessarily.

It depends to a large extent on observing style. If you like to see as many objects as possible during a session, an alt-azimuth may be better, and they're certainly more intuitive for a beginner. But if you like to have a good long look at each object, it's easier to keep it centered if you have an equatorial, even without a drive.

This is a great time to be shopping for a small mid-price refractor. In addition to the Orion, you should take a look at the offerings from Stellarvue and William Optics, if you haven't already.

I don't know about "best" (maybe there isn't such a thing), but a good alt az with slow motion controls is great for a rich field scope. I have an 80mm short tube refractor that is my travel scope, and I have it on a bogen camera tripod with a slow motion head. Since it is rich field, and usually runs at low mags, the objects stay in view for quite awhile.

I have to dial two knobs to move it along, rather than one as with a properly aimed EQ mount, but on the plus side I can just plop the scope down anywhere and don't have to align it to north. I also use this scope in the daytime, and an EQ mount is not the best to use for birdwatching...