Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Logical Fallacies

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

I came across this guide to logical fallacies, and I thought that it would be useful for assisting both debunkers and potential HBs.

Lovely! Thank you. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Yup. I had a short topic about this earlier:
    http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/vi...c=2329&forum=1

[img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It is interesting to go down the list and check off what they use.

I'm preparing a catalogue of them for Clavius as well, with examples taken from conspiracist literature and statements.

Very nice! I've occasionally reference the Stephan's Guide to Logical Fallacies index but I think I like your link better.

Under which category would we place the two words which seemed to finish many debates in pubs back in the seventies: "Wanna fight?" [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

That would be an Appeal to Fisticuffs (argumentum ad biff'em), methinks.

I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

Thanks aporetic_r. I've only recently learnt about such things -- mainly since joining the BABB -- at the age of 52 (hangs head in shame). Certainly was never taught anything about logic at school and can now see that I've been guilty of committing transgressions, or been a victim of them, many times in the past.

When I went to school, independent and intelligent thought was frowned apon. The only thing that was tolerated was conformity.

Any suggestions for a site where I could download a .txt or .rtf file on the subject?

Karamoon: Aha! Thank you. "Argumentum ad biff'em" sounds like an excellent category. It always seemed to me that those words, "Wanna foight?" were spoken by the thickest (both physically and mentally) of the participants in any debate.

On 2003-03-11 07:14, Kiwi wrote:
    Thanks aporetic_r. I've only recently learnt about such things -- mainly since joining the BABB -- at the age of 52 (hangs head in shame). Certainly was never taught anything about logic at school and can now see that I've been guilty of committing transgressions, or been a victim of them, many times in the past.

When I went to school, independent and intelligent thought was frowned apon. The only thing that was tolerated was conformity.

Any suggestions for a site where I could download a .txt or .rtf file on the subject?

Karamoon: Aha! Thank you. "Argumentum ad biff'em" sounds like an excellent category. It always seemed to me that those words, "Wanna foight?" were spoken by the thickest (both physically and mentally) of the participants in any debate.
    kiwi, I'm also of the advanced age of 52, and I don't think us old fogies should ever hang our heads in shame because we're just now learning something new. I intend to try to keep learning new stuff for as long as the brain is operational. What else is there?

I've adapted the categorization of the Stephens guide to apply to the Clavius page I'm preparing. The problem with such a rigid classification, however, is that the same abstract fallacies appear in different categorizations under different names.

The Nizkor list is a little more straightforward, although lacking in structure. I believe the structure is important to some extent.

I like the Stephen's guide organization as well. It's nice to see all forms of non-sequitur or ad hominem, for example, in one place.

Some are strictly algebraic and discuss the logical operators. It's nice to talk about all of those together. Others deal with induction and empiricism, and it's convenient to talk about all of those together too.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    So how's that list going?

It's almost done. I'm working right now on responding to Aulis' latest article. And, of course, my day job. :-)

It's always day job, day job, day job with you, isn't it?

Yes, my bosses are unreasonable. They demand they get a day's work for a day's pay. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by aporetic_r
    http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

I came across this guide to logical fallacies, and I thought that it would be useful for assisting both debunkers and potential HBs.
    Look here as well

http://www.xenu.net/archive/baloney_detection.html
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I while the desriptions of various logical fallacies on the site are nice, the examples are just completely retarded. Let me show you what I mean.

Here is one of the examples of a tu quoque fallacy:
    Peter: "Based on the arguments I have presented, it is evident that it is morally wrong to use animals for food or clothing."
    Bill: "But you are wearing a leather jacket and you have a roast beef sandwich in your hand! How can you say that using animals for food and clothing is wrong!"
    As you can see Bill is not really making a logical fallacy here at all. He is more or less calling Peter a hypocrite WHICH HE IS. He is not saying, well, your arguments are wrong because you still do it. He never even denies Peters arguments. He just asks how he can much such arguments with a beef sandwich in his hands and leather jacket on his back. That is a perfectly logical thing to do and shame on anyone who would let Peter get away with such bull****.

Examples of this type abound. The author really doesn't have the knack for writing dialogues and I would really suggest he have someone else do it.

After further reading I take back any of the good things I said about the site. The author clearly fails to recognize the difference between a logical fallacy and a fallacy. A logical fallacy does not necessarily mean that the conclusion is false, just that the logic used to prove it is unsatisfactory.

An example would be my little brother, who has a tendancy to lie. He owed me some money, I called him to see if he had sent it and he said he had put the check in the mail yesterday. Now, I say to myself "My brother is known for lying. He says he put the check in the mail. He must not have because he is liar." That is a logical fallacy, but I'll be damned if when the check showed up it wasn't postmarked for the day after the phone call! The argument was a fallacy, but the outcome was the same. The reasoning didn't prove the check was late, the postmark did.

As I said, the author of the site is unable to differentiate between the two ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by spoilsport
    As you can see Bill is not really making a logical fallacy here at all. He is more or less calling Peter a hypocrite WHICH HE IS. He is not saying, well, your arguments are wrong because you still do it. He never even denies Peters arguments. He just asks how he can much such arguments with a beef sandwich in his hands and leather jacket on his back. That is a perfectly logical thing to do and shame on anyone who would let Peter get away with such bull****.
    While in this situation Bill may rightly regard Peter as a hypocrite and quite reasonably call him one, his comments do not form a logical rebuttal to the proposition posed.

This is because the proposition is that it is morally wrong to wear clothes/eat food made from animals. Bill's statements do not address this proposition, but merely point out the inconsistency of the leather-wearing, carnivourous Peter making the argument. If this is the extent of Bill's rebuttal and an observer to the exchange is swayed by Bill's comments to believe that eating animals is therefore morally OK, then they would have fallen foul of a tu quoque fallacy.

The author clearly fails to recognize the difference between a logical fallacy and a fallacy. A logical fallacy does not necessarily mean that the conclusion is false, just that the logic used to prove it is unsatisfactory.
    In terms of logic, a 'fallacy' is a form of technical error in the argument process. It does not refer to the conclusion of the argument, which may or may not be correct. Bill may well prove to be correct that eating meat is morally OK, but he has not made a sound argument to demonstrate this from a logical perspective because his argument contains a fallacy.

The author clearly fails to recognize the difference between a logical fallacy and a fallacy. A logical fallacy does not necessarily mean that the conclusion is false, just that the logic used to prove it is unsatisfactory.
    It appears your distinction is the confused one. Not the premise, the terminology.

A fallacy is, very generally, an error in reasoning. This differs from a factual error, which is simply being wrong about the facts.
    He knows the difference. It may not be clear to you as the focus of the site is not factual error or burden of proof, and due to this does not get discussed at length.

Quote Originally Posted by spoilsport
    Just had a look at the Nizkor Project regarding this definition and the author specifically makes the point that:

"The fact a person's claims are not consistent with his actions might indicate that the person is a hypocrite but this does not prove his claims are false."

This is the key point.

By the way Freddo, congratulations on clocking up the Grand! =D>

By the way Freddo, congratulations on clocking up the Grand!
    Hey! Well would ya look at that!!

I didn't even notice! And I was all counting down last week....

=D> =D> =D>

Hypocrisy falls under rhetoric. Logic does not require a conclusion to be acted upon in order to validate it, nor does it allow the invalidation of a conclusion that is not acted upon. Logic considers only that the question is properly reasoned. To attempt to refute a conclusion based on the behavior of his proponent to follow or not follow it is an ad hominem argument.

Lexicologically, a "fallacy" is any incorrect or deceptive statement regardles of the mode of deception or the root cause of the error. But to qualify a "logical fallacy" suggests an examination of the root cause according to inference -- a sort of "structural" fallacy that reasons incorrectly from possibly correct premises. This tends toward being distinct from fallacies in which the mechanism of inference is correct, but the underlying premise is unsupported. But practically the line between these modes of error is blurry enough that we can properly consider as "logical" fallacies those merely with defective premises.

Oh look, our old friend.

Lexicologically? Now you made that up! Such a word is useless in this language as no-one can say it right.

What does anyone think of this logic site?

edited a few times, to get the ulr ref right and fix grammar. Duh

I really hate to sound ignoramus.........but the 'HB' acronym.......

I could never put a definition on it....

what is a HB.

HB=hoax believer, referring to the moon landing hoax