Thread: Letters to the editor?

Letters to the editor?

This is a nice little piece. Nothing Earth shattering or anything dramatic, and certainly old news for all here. What I was woindering is, how many letters they get from irritated fundamentalists when they run stuff like this.

I've noticed that when National Geographic runs stuff on time, evolution, and other articles on the physical sciences; they don't seem to get (or at least do not run) letters critiquing the material as anti-Christian or anti-whatever.

Maybe we could sidestep the whole what-to-put-in-textbooks debate and just have our classrooms use Astronomy, NG, and the like.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/05/op...html?th&emc=th

FJD,
    That's not a LTTE, that's a 'think piece', a side bar column, inserted at the page editor's discretion to fill the page. Okay, so it's topical, and full marks to the NYT for running it.
    But why should fundamentalists be offended by this short essay? It doesn't even make the point that this event occured before the date for Creation that may hold to be true.
    John

A remakably well-written essay!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD
    FJD,
    That's not a LTTE, that's a 'think piece', a side bar column, inserted at the page editor's discretion to fill the page. Okay, so it's topical, and full marks to the NYT for running it.
    But why should fundamentalists be offended by this short essay? It doesn't even make the point that this event occured before the date for Creation that may hold to be true.
    John
    I was thinking of the references to billions of years and "children of the stars" and wondering if them running such an essay gets them hate mail from fundamentalists. And yes, kudos to them for running it, especially if they know they wil get figuratively bombed (with mail) for doing so.

I guess the media is not all that evil.