Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104
Results 3,091 to 3,117 of 3117

Thread: Read that again?

In the "hear that again" category, Good Morning America was just hyping a "cooling towel". The "reporter" said just put it around your neck and it'll lower your body temperature by 30 degrees. No thanks, I'd rather not die of hypothermia.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    It is actually the control panel for Venus. You can set such things as atmospheric composition, distance from the sun, and rotation speed.
    Then it must have bad error checking. You know:

"That atmosphere is too dense. Please re-enter."

"That rotation is retrograde! Are you sure? [Y/N]"

And so on ...

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post

"That atmosphere is too dense. Please re-enter."
    If the atmosphere is to dense, you might not want to re-enter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Read that again?

Scrolling through the BBC news app, I spotted a headline and photo about a debate regarding vehicle speed limits in France.

The photo shows a sign with the number 80 and:
    - A title readingďNON!Ē
    - A silhouette of the palm of a hand
    - A red circle with a slash

Thatís too many negatives, I canít tell if it is for or against the speed limit.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Scrolling through the BBC news app, I spotted a headline and photo about a debate regarding vehicle speed limits in France.

The photo shows a sign with the number 80 and:
    - A title reading“NON!”
    - A silhouette of the palm of a hand
    - A red circle with a slash

That’s too many negatives, I can’t tell if it is for or against the speed limit.

Maybe it's just about the debate itself?

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Irene has a fever and a rash. If it weren't for the fact that she's not scratching, I'd say it seems like chicken pox--sigh, despite her vaccination. I don't know how many children she's interacted with in the last week.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

When I was that age, parents had chicken pox parties, so if one kid got it all the others could get infected and get it over with. Thanks for the Shingles, Mom.

ETA: From a quick Google, it appears those are once again popular, among the anti-vax crowd of course. Morons.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2018-Jun-21 at 05:01 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Don't know why I put it in this thread. But even worse than chicken pox parties is the parents who have their infected children take a lick or two of a candy--and then send it through the mail to another anti-vaxxing parent. At least Irene has hand-foot-and-mouth, for which there is no vaccine.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Just reading a baseball piece in USA Today. Now, I don't expect perfect grammar and readability in a new story, but, really ... .

It seems that a Cincinnati Reds relief pitcher was used as a pinch-hitter and responded by hitting a home run. It's bylined "John Fay, Cincinnati Enquirer" but it reads as if it was "take the kid to work today" and one of the kids got to write the piece. Or maybe it's just that the proofreader had the day off. (Do they even have proofreaders these days?)

' "It's a surreal feeling for sure," Lorenzen said. "I'm seeing the ball really well right now. Yeah, I say it every time. I love this game. I love everything about it. When you're playing good it's extra special." '

[I'm impressed that he said 'seeing well,' but disappointed that it led to
    'playing good.']

' Eric Thames got the Reds again. He homered in the first. It was He was his 14th home run against the Reds over the last two season. Thames has a total of 42 home runs total in that period. '

[Eh, was it really he? Was 42 the total?]

' "We were going to put Billy in for defense anyway for Wink," Riggleman said. "Let's let Billy run for him. Instead of using (Brandon) Dixon there, I was saving a player, (I sued Lorenzen). '

[You sued him? Did he plead guilty or did he counter-sue you?]

' Lorenzen hit a 97-mph fastball out to left-center. What did he think he hit it? '

[What did I think I hit it? Could you repeat the question?]

' "When you want more, more and more, that's when you get in trouble," Lorenzen said. "I'm happy that Jim had enough faith in me to put me up there bases loaded, no oust. ... '

[Every team needs a good "no oust" man, else you'll be ousted.]

It's at
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lam/748718002/
    don't be surprised if it's edited, or maybe translated, later on!

There are some (probably) proofreading misses there for sure, but I take a bit of an issue with a couple of your criticisms.

' "It's a surreal feeling for sure," Lorenzen said. "I'm seeing the ball really well right now. Yeah, I say it every time. I love this game. I love everything about it. When you're playing good it's extra special." '
    [I'm impressed that he said 'seeing well,' but disappointed that it led to
    'playing good.']
    This is a quote, probably verbatim on what Lorenen said. No foul on the writer, in my opinion.

' Eric Thames got the Reds again. He homered in the first. It was He was his 14th home run against the Reds over the last two season. Thames has a total of 42 home runs total in that period. '
    [Eh, was it really he? Was 42 the total?]
    There's definitely an editing error there, but the home run totals make complete sense to me. He has 14 homers against the Reds in the last two years. He has 42 TOTAL home runs, against everyone, in that same span. So 14 of his 42 homers over the last 2 years were against the Reds, which is pretty remarkable, actually.
    CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Read that again?

Machine-generated article?
    It reads like something Siri would generate.

ETA: Wikipedia link on the subject:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_journalism

Last edited by Extravoice; 2018-Jul-02 at 12:00 PM.

Of course the writer shouldn't change any quotes. That just added to the general zaniness of the piece.

No, not Siri. Itís more like something pasted from MS Word with the track changes set to display. So that both the deleted text and added text are included.

As above, so below

ETA: Wikipedia link on the subject:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_journalism
    It does read as if it were sliced and diced by some kind of algorithm. Little fact-snippets strung together around verbatim quotes.

In my reporting days, when I would get quotes from someone that made no sense and would make him/her sound really silly in print, I'd try to resolve these and put together some sort of sentence and get them to buy into it. So long as they agreed that my reconstruction was what they meant to say, I felt okay in using it. The subjects always were impressed at how they sounded in print. This was okay for small-time stuff, and I'm glad that I never had to handle really important news!

I must admit I wrestled with which thread to use for this.

A group of poachers sneaked into an African game reserve intending to secure rhino horns. Instead, they were attacked, killed and eaten by a pride of lions.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/n...214376159.html

Karma is real.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    No, not Siri. It’s more like something pasted from MS Word with the track changes set to display. So that both the deleted text and added text are included.
    I can almost see that as well, in a few places.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I must admit I wrestled with which thread to use for this.

A group of poachers sneaked into an African game reserve intending to secure rhino horns. Instead, they were attacked, killed and eaten by a pride of lions.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/n...214376159.html

Karma is real.
    Yes I read about those deaths this morning and also had trouble working out exactly how I felt - they were poachers but also people with families etc.

Which made it even more amusing to me when I walked past the cold meat section at the supermarket today, and saw that someone with a slight spelling problem had hand written a sign advertising "Lion ham" as a special sale item.

The schadenfreude is real.

"You can't erase icing."

Good ol' USAToday link headlines

Link: Chicago mayor claps back at Illinois governor after activists shut down expressway

Article headline: Chicago mayor slams governor after freeway protest

Story: The former is criticizing the later, so the second headline is correct. But in what sense do you use "claps" to indicate disapproval? Sounds more like applause, even with the "back" in there. Now, "slaps back" may have been the intention. "Hits back" would have been better, so you don't even imply a slap on the back, another sign of approval.

Also,

Link: Dershowitz: Backing Trump worse than defending O.J. Simpson

Article headline: Alan Dershowitz: Backing Donald Trump has been worse than defending O.J. Simpson

Story: Dershowitz has defended the president's constitutional role in some cases, and he says he's getting flack from liberals.

The link headline could be interpreted as a direct denunciation by Dershowitz of Trump supporters. The "has been" in the longer version makes it somewhat better.

From a CNN science article:

KELT-9b is ... so close to its host star, KELT-9, that it orbits every 1Ĺ days, unlike the year it takes Earth to orbit our sun. ...
    emphasis added

Well, technically speaking, KELT-9b's year is 1.5 days. It would be better to say "365 days." But then you get into that whole "what is a day" thing.

BTW, KELT-9 and it's planet sound fascinating.
    https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/05/world...ery/index.html
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    From a CNN science article:

emphasis added

Well, technically speaking, KELT-9b's year is 1.5 days. It would be better to say "365 days." But then you get into that whole "what is a day" thing.

BTW, KELT-9 and it's planet sound fascinating.
    https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/05/world...ery/index.html
    Isn't it amazing that our year is exactly a year long! I think it shows Earth's special place in the universe and is probably a sign of divine intervention.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

This could go in several threads, but Iíll put it here.

Reading reviews of the GMC Canyon pickup truck, one of the highlights is ďWasher fluid level sensor now standard on all models.Ē

Really? With all the electronics and sensors on this thing, they are just now adding a fluid sensor? My 16-year-old truck has one.

Those big rigs get going pretty fast up in Canada, I guess.

Tractor trailer breaks sound barrier in three-truck collision near Brockville

Actually, I gotta give credit to the headline writer for that, presuming it was intentional.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Those big rigs get going pretty fast up in Canada, I guess.

Tractor trailer breaks sound barrier in three-truck collision near Brockville

Actually, I gotta give credit to the headline writer for that, presuming it was intentional.
    I think someone yielded to temptation. Or was completely clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I think someone yielded to temptation. Or was completely clueless.
    Iím guessing it was the former. Clever.

As above, so below

USA Today today:

Powerball was the first to try out the new formula when it changed the potential number of combinations three years ago. That change reduced the odds of winning from one in 175 to one in 292 million.
    If I were willing to accept "one in 175" and got switched to "one in 292 million" at a similar ticket price, I'd be annoyed 166,875.429 times over. That's the ratio.

It think they missed a little word, namely "million" in the first case. The follow-on paragraph suggests this.

Mega Millions, which has been around since 1996, followed suit with a similar move in October 2017, worsening the odds from one in 259 million to one in 302 million. Mega Millions also doubled the entry ticket price from $1 to $2 and has seen three of its six-ever largest payouts since making the changes.
    259 million to 302 million is only something like 16.7 percent worse chances, not including the ticket price hike.