Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105
Results 3,121 to 3,148 of 3148

Thread: Read that again?

Read that again?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    USA Today violated the guidelines in the Associated Press Stylebook which says:
    Well perhaps, but USA Today is not AP, so USA Today has to follow USA Today stylesheet, not AP stylesheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

The AP Stylebook applies to all news organizations although I’ll grant you that it’s largely a darned good convention that is adopted (or ignored) in most newsrooms. The rule of thumb was always “When in doubt, check the Stylebook.”

Some papers have their own conventions that predate the Stylebook, such as the New York Times referring to people as Mr. or Mrs. or Ms.

The AP Stylebook does not apply to all news organizations. As you mentioned, the New York Times. There are several papers in the US well known to have their own stylebooks, and that's one of them. Time has their own as well, and I'm pretty sure Newsweek does, too, that's different from Time. The AP would quite like all publications that use Associated Press information to use their style, but it's not mandatory.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The AP Stylebook does not apply to all news organizations. As you mentioned, the New York Times. There are several papers in the US well known to have their own stylebooks, and that's one of them. Time has their own as well, and I'm pretty sure Newsweek does, too, that's different from Time. The AP would quite like all publications that use Associated Press information to use their style, but it's not mandatory.
    True, it's not mandatory and I'm not saying it is nor did I mean that. But the stylebook does establish consistency across news organizations and I'm quite sure that most, if not all, rely on the Stylebook for fundamentals or guidance. Like I said, when in doubt...

A bit of trivia from the 2017 edition's Foreward (and my bold):

The first Associated Press Stylebook was 60 pages, bound together with staples, a basic guide for newswriting. It has evolved into a comprehensive reference manual that fills more than 600 pages and is published in Spanish as well as English across an array of digital platforms, encompassing the collective wisdom of the AP staff and Stylebook readers.

Despite drastic changes in the media landscape, one constant remains: The AP Stylebook is a definitive resource for writers. Today’s Stylebook still outlines basic rules on grammar, punctuation, usage and journalistic style, but it also reflects changes in common language, offers guidance on media law, explains AP’s news values and principles, and helps to navigate the ever-changing world of social media.
    When I worked in the news biz the AP Stylebook sat on every editor's desk and was present in every newsroom I ever visited when I changed career arcs to technology. Now you can get it as an e-book or an app...which would have been blissful back in the day when we first started writing on computers.

As for the AP, it's a co-op made up by and for the news industry. News organizations agree to share content with the AP and have it distributed by the AP, so having consistency is important for easier sharing and reduced editing and re-work on the receiving end.

ETA: And bit of computer weirdness in reviewing this thread and others. If I'm on a PC, using a real keyboard, then my posts are understandably more verbose than those produced on my phone. I suspect this is true with many people. But not always does Tapatalk append the "sent from my iPhone" note to my posts. Odd.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2019-Feb-08 at 04:30 PM.

T But not always does Tapatalk append the "sent from my iPhone" note to my posts. Odd.
    You can turn that off, or do a custom one, you know.

Sent from my Dell Inspiron 15!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yes, it just seemed weird that some posts included the tag line and others did not. Now I see that it’s selectable on a post- by-post basis in Tapatalk so I may have fat-fingered the tick mark.

Hmmm. I thought the app was smart enough not to state "Excuse my brevity" when the statement went on too long!

If I get that wordy in Tapatalk I start to introduce a variety of errors.

If I get that wordy in Tapatalk I start to introduce a variety of errors.
    As does autocorrect!

I am think about a book that has bothered me for years. It's called The Hunting of The Quark. It's science history and might not be the best source. What bothers me about it is, there is a paragraph which mentions the United States sent many of their top scientists to Vietnam to build a force shield. They failed.

Ok... no real surprise there.

What troubles me about this paragraph is, I can't determine the subtext of the comment. Is the author trying to say, "The military/government/war was silly/stupid"?

What really troubles me is the obvious next question: "Ok, they didn't invent a force shield. What did they invent?" I am sort of incredulous that you could send all your top minds off to invent something and get a null result. They must have created something, right? And if it was the top minds at work, any result would interesting, even if it was not particularly helpful or even related to the task at hand.

It's sort of like saying: "In August 1969, we rented a diary farm in New York and sent all of the best musicians there... and nothing at all happened."

I am probable missing some sort of commentary on those events, or it is a minor detail which has been blown out of proportion, or it didn't really happen.

It still bothers me as I don't seem to have the tools to verify such an event happened or do research.
    Solfe

I hold some stock from a previous employer, so I get to vote on the following proposal:

“Approval of an amendment to the second amended and restated employee share purchase plan.”

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Plane Turns Around After Mother Left Baby at Airport

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news...BBnbfcL#page=2

A passenger jet was forced to return to the airport soon after takeoff this weekend, when a passenger realized she had left her baby at the terminal.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I don't know if that is more sad or more funny.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Or horrifying.

You would have to be awfully distracted to forget you were supposed to be traveling with a child. I can get my mind around forgetting your child in a car seat, especially a rear-facing one if the kid falls asleep, but this, I don't get.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    You would have to be awfully distracted to forget you were supposed to be traveling with a child.
    I thought the same thing, but the word "distracted" was replaced with another word.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Newspaper headline: "car crashes into house for the fourth time".

That is a very sturdy car. And a very bad driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Newspaper headline: "car crashes into house for the fourth time".

That is a very sturdy car. And a very bad driver.
    Well maybe it was four different drivers taking turns.
    As above, so below

Some nearby town's water service was interrupted due to some natural disaster.

One of the reporters said "If you don't have water, be sure to boil it for 48 hours. And now back to ..."

That went right by. The next reporter didn't think to offer a correction.

Of, course, what she meant to say was that "if your water service has been interrupted and recently restored, you should make sure that any water you consume has been boiled, and do this for at least the next 48 hours," -- and we all know that.

The shortened version just misses a few marks!

I'm not a golfer, so I read this USA Today piece just to see what the outcome was.

Zack Johnson got a chuckle and a few gasps Friday at the Masters when his practice swing on No. 13 accidentally clipped his ball off his tee and sent it bouncing off the tee marker. The ball came to rest just a few feet in front of Johnson.

Johnson uttered an expletive, and his playing partners Matt Kuchar and Ian Poulter were equally shocked at what they had just witnessed.

They were all heard saying none had seen anything like it during a tournament.

Thanks to the Rules of Golf, Johnson was not penalized. (Be warned: Johnson can be heard muttering an expletive.)

A tee ball is only considered in play when a player intends to hit it. Because Johnson’s contact with the ball was obviously accidental during a practice swing, there was no penalty.

The Rules of Golf state: “A player has started a hole when he or she makes a stroke to begin the hole.” A stroke is defined as “the forward movement of the club made to strike the ball.” That implies intent to strike the ball.

Because Johnson did not intend to strike the ball, his miscue didn’t count as a stroke, he had not started the hole and there was no penalty. It was no different than a player accidentally knocking the ball off the tee with the clubhead before starting the hole.

The rules address this directly, saying a player has not made a stroke if he “accidentally strikes the ball when making a practice swing or while preparing to make a stroke.”

Gosh, I guess that a goof-up (unintentional) carries no penalty. But did this story go out of its way in laboring the point?

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I'm not a golfer, so I read this USA Today piece just to see what the outcome was.

Zack Johnson got a chuckle and a few gasps Friday at the Masters when his practice swing on No. 13 accidentally clipped his ball off his tee and sent it bouncing off the tee marker. The ball came to rest just a few feet in front of Johnson.

Johnson uttered an expletive, and his playing partners Matt Kuchar and Ian Poulter were equally shocked at what they had just witnessed.

They were all heard saying none had seen anything like it during a tournament.

Thanks to the Rules of Golf, Johnson was not penalized. (Be warned: Johnson can be heard muttering an expletive.)

A tee ball is only considered in play when a player intends to hit it. Because Johnson’s contact with the ball was obviously accidental during a practice swing, there was no penalty.

The Rules of Golf state: “A player has started a hole when he or she makes a stroke to begin the hole.” A stroke is defined as “the forward movement of the club made to strike the ball.” That implies intent to strike the ball.

Because Johnson did not intend to strike the ball, his miscue didn’t count as a stroke, he had not started the hole and there was no penalty. It was no different than a player accidentally knocking the ball off the tee with the clubhead before starting the hole.

The rules address this directly, saying a player has not made a stroke if he “accidentally strikes the ball when making a practice swing or while preparing to make a stroke.”

Gosh, I guess that a goof-up (unintentional) carries no penalty. But did this story go out of its way in laboring the point?
    Short answer IMO: yes. USA Today didn’t need to quote chapter and verse from the USGA rule book. But it’s a digital world so I guess they took the space for an exceptionally full explanation.

Just seemed to be that they stated the "unintentional" and or "no penalty" aspect in each of the last five paragraphs.

Yesterday, I saw a food truck with a sign on the cash register that read, “Credit cards excepted”.

I suspect they meant the opposite, but I didn’t ask.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Yesterday, I saw a food truck with a sign on the cash register that read, “Credit cards excepted”.

I suspect they meant the opposite, but I didn’t ask.
    I agree it’s pretty awful. I don’t think it would mean the opposite though, or at least I’ve never heard except used as a verb to mean the opposite of accept. I think it means something like ‘to exclude’ as in to not include in a number. So I think it would mean something like “credit cards are not included,” which is nonsense. Of course it could easily mistaken to mean ‘not accept’ since the meanings are similar.

As above, so below

A friend of mine said he once attended a rural church where a plaque stated "This building was razed in 1931."

A friend of mine said he once attended a rural church where a plaque stated "This building was razed in 1931."
    Whoever wrote that was probably "razed" from the dead.
    As above, so below

USAToday online's Extremely Terse Headline strikes again:

Tiger faces wrongful death lawsuit in Florida

Sounds like some big cat escaped from some zoo and ate somebody! But shouldn't the keepers be facing the suit?

Turns out it's the golfer of which they speak.

Maybe they rebuilt it?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright