Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is Dutch food?

The local "large mart" type stores have some prepackaged stroopwafelesque cookies that aren't terrible, but I've only had higher quality packaged ones a few times and homemade ones once. OMG. SOOO GOOOOOD (I'm melting as I think of it). It's one of few non-chocolate desserts I like almost as much as chocolate!

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Elderly neighbors (in childhood) of Dutch descent (she was, anyway) often ate pickled herring. My sister and I (kids) wouldn't touch it. Last I saw pickled herring was a take-away refrigerated package; the fish, and a separate compartment for mashed potatoes. Visiting Iowa then.

Pickled herring is popular in a lot of Northern European cultures, including German and Russian (3/4 of my DNA). I can't say I love it, but I do like it; it is one of those things that if I have it once a year, that's fine.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    This was in Forth Worth, Texas.
    figures. They said it was original Dutch food i can imagine
    "Downwards is the only way forwards" Cobb

Noting in science is proven actual

When my Wife and I were dating, back in the steam age, I would take her to "the Old Oyster Cabin" , a cedar log appearing restaurant near by. She had never enjoyed specialty seafood , so I plied her with " Little Necks on the half shell " , and "
    " Pickled Herring " . They served the herring in a large margarita glass on crushed ice , a couple leaves of lettuce and
    about half a dozen pieces of herring with the pickled onions and capers which come in the jar. Price: $7.00 .
    Trouble is I created a monster. I have to keep bring her back Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    When my Wife and I were dating, back in the steam age, I would take her to "the Old Oyster Cabin" , a cedar log appearing restaurant near by. She had never enjoyed specialty seafood , so I plied her with " Little Necks on the half shell " , and "
    " Pickled Herring " . They served the herring in a large margarita glass on crushed ice , a couple leaves of lettuce and
    about half a dozen pieces of herring with the pickled onions and capers which come in the jar. Price: $7.00 .
    Trouble is I created a monster. I have to keep bring her back Happy days.
    ...back in the steam age Lol.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Capers with; it's been ages since I had capers in anything.

I like that name, "Old Oyster Cabin."

That's where I proposed. The central stone fireplace (center chimney) has an arched stone window looking into the outer room (used to be a porch) . That's our table.
    There's a company called Vita that makes pickled herring. Comes either in white wine,vinegar, capers,onions and some
    pleasant spices , or it comes in sour cream. Both are simply delicious.
    It is difficult, ......but not impossible to OD on herring. It sure makes a fine appetizer,though.
    If you are ever in New England, I'll treat you to some little necks, a small quahog clam with a delicate, sweet taste that takes you down to the sea with your eyes closed. .......ah!!

We've eaten in a Dutch restaurant in Lynden, WA, a town with a lot of Dutch heritage. (The First Reformed Church and Second Reformed Church are about a block apart on the main street.) My recollection is that I had a lunch of brown bread, cheese, and pea soup. The restaurant is in a "windmill" on the main street, which is also an overpriced hotel. Our friends, the Van Somethings, stayed there and got the room in the top of the windmill. The mechanism making the blades turn was noisy and kept them up all night.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Apparently, the windmill at the used-to-be Van De Kamp's Restaurant (for years now a Denny's) in Arcadia, California, is turning again.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Best I could do this weekend:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1463865863989.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	21573

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Again I find this thread searching for something else.. Anyway, some very Dutch food local to where I live is Poffert. Poor man's food, there was a lot of poverty in this area perhaps a century ago. Two Dutch pages on it that Google translate should easily handle: wiki and a blog.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

In the area I live, we have one or two German restaurants; historically, there have been Indonesian ones, but I don't remember one advertising itself as Dutch.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

The only two things I can remember eating in our week in The Netherlands in the 1970's are the seemingly ubiquitous Chips (fries) with mayo. And, what I think is an adopted, and adapted, National Dish in rijsttafel. (Edit: Looking back over the much older posts I note that it has been mentioned before.)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijsttafel
    Last edited by ozduck; 2017-Dec-04 at 11:37 AM.

14. 2017-Dec-04, 11:36 AM
    Reason
    Duplicate

Stroopwafel!
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple