Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All "Noobs," "Newbies," "New People" - Please Observe!

Smile All "Noobs," "Newbies," "New People" - Please Observe!

First, let me say Welcome to the Board! I've found this place to be both home and haven.

Second, I'm not a Mod or Admin here, so this isn't official policy by any stretch of anyone's imagination. It's just an observation by someone who's been online for a couple of decades and some friendly advice by your friendly neighborhood Spider Man (said having just finished the first movie, watched out of sequence...).

Some things I've noticed (personal experience, and by no means to be taken as admin or mod policy (and I've also "been there, done that" myself...)):

1. A lot of new people ask the exact same questions as have been asked by other new people, including things like, "what is the size of the universe."

Ugh!

Please, before asking these questions, do a quick search here on BAUT. You'll often find the other hundred or so questions, along with some very good responses, links, etc. that have been recorded here over the years. Doing searches helps keep this site uncluttered, so that questions that haven't been asked before don't get lost in the maze.

If, after having done a quick search here, if you can't find an answer to your question, try typing in a brief description on Wikipedia (link in my signature, below). It's CHOCK full of answers, most of which many people have spent many hours contributing to.

2. Please be polite. It's ok to object to what others think, so long as it's kept in good taste and is objective. Personal attacks aren't objective.

3. Thank you for listening. We'll now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

- Mugs.

Welcome to BAUT Mugaliens.

Please read the Rules here and Enjoy your stay.

One of the best ways to learn about something is to explain it to others.
    In order to refine my explanation of anything, I usually need to explain it
    four or five times, to four or five different people. I hope everyone can
    gain the benefits of explaining stuff to others here on BAUT as I do.

The wonders of increasing hard drive capacity!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    Last edited by Jeff Root; 2008-Apr-07 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post

Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
    Yes, good one, Neverfly.

Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    1. A lot of new people ask the exact same questions as have been asked by other new people, including things like, "what is the size of the universe."

Ugh!

Please, before asking these questions, do a quick search here on BAUT. You'll often find the other hundred or so questions, along with some very good responses, links, etc. that have been recorded here over the years.
    That's always a good reminder. The very young can be excused, but people over 20? There are 6.5 billion people on the planet, chances are good you're NOT the 1st person to wonder and ask. That's what the Search Feature is there for.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadme View Post
    There are 6.5 billion people on the planet...
    The online counter I checked for a post yesterday and previously
    checked for a post about a week ago apparently rolled over to
    6.8 billion just within the last couple of days.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Gee.

Thanks, Neverfly (smirk!)

Plumbers... (LOL!)

"There are 6.5 billion people on the planet..."

But what if the Newbie poster isn't from this planet?

First, let me say Welcome to the Board! I've found this place to be both home and haven.

2. Please be polite. It's ok to object to what others think, so long as it's kept in good taste and is objective. Personal attacks aren't objective.

- Mugs.
    Yeah... would that the old timers extended this extended this courtesy to newcomers.

now back to lurking... the only real function this board is good for!!

first post. hello fellow time travelers. will talk more soon

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
    Yeah, you and Neverfly are such a bunch of cards...

I'm glad I'm among company with whom I can trade cards without any of us blowing a fuse!

I feel like I'm home. My thanks to you both. For keeping me honest, for ribbing me when it was deserved, and for having enough faith in me as a person to take it in stride - you guys are alright.

Here's another example of what's becoming a pet peeve of mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Robot View Post
    I understand all of what you said, but little of it actually addresses my question. I am specifically referring to the slowing of the speed of light when it passes through materials. I have oft heard this explained as an "absorption and re-emission" using up time, thus slowing it down, i.e., it goes at "c" from absorption point to absorption point, but each absorption uses a small amount of time, so that the bulk speed is effectively slowed. My point is that I don't understand the nature of this "absorption". I wonder if the better explanation is that the EM-wave nature of the photon interacts with the EM-field generated by the material in such a way as to actually slow the propagation of the wave. Although the result may be the same, these two explanations are based on quite different physical models.
    I, for one, am sick and tired of people asking ridiculously base questions on this message board. This is not what this is for, particularly when the answers to your questions are merely a click away, already having been compiled by multitudes who're experts in their fields.

ALL TAKE NOTE

Please follow the links for details. (If I take the time to look this up - please take the time to follow them. Better yet, start your search foir knowledge there, learning how to Wikipedia, Google, and the dictionary, instead of asking us to do your work for you). In other words, read and learn, instead of asking inane questions here on BAUT.

When a photon enters the orbital space of an atom, it is captured by the atom, and excites an electron to a higher orbital. The higher orbital state isn't stable, but it does take some time to decay back to the lower orbital.

NOW - If I see a SINGLE post on this thread indicating that someone has NOT followed, AND READ the links I've included in the text above, instead of being LAZY and wasting my time, and the time of others, I WILL report you and your post to the MODs.

DON'T BE LAZY, PEOPLE!!! Learn something!

I haven't followed and read your links.
    Now report away.

Actually, I'll suggest you throttle very much back on your attitude, it's not appropriate on this board.

Also, threatening to report is skirting a Rule 16 violation

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    I'd say I just learned something, but I actually learned it when you started this thread. There's a "be nice" rule on this forum. That should be common sense. Either walk away from the darn board or learn something yourself.

Yeah, you and Neverfly are such a bunch of cards...

I'm glad I'm among company with whom I can trade cards without any of us blowing a fuse!

I feel like I'm home. My thanks to you both. For keeping me honest, for ribbing me when it was deserved, and for having enough faith in me as a person to take it in stride - you guys are alright.
    Mugaliens, I understand your argument- I agree with a lot of it.
    But I think, too, you are generalizing a bit more than necessary. Sometimes folks need more than a link or a boring read. I know I prefer to discuss things than to sit reading about it sometimes too.

And I know I blow my fuse sometimes when I get irked and get carried away.

So.

This card ribbing you now as deserved.

If you keep underlining, capitalizing letters, putting every third word in bold and using exclamation points I am going to rename you "MugCTaliens!!!111" and reserve you a parking space on the Conspiracy Theories Forum.

Man.. Some of those Wikipedia math links?

I open them. Every thing's fine...
    Then the page finishes loading...

My eyes glaze over. My palms get sweaty. I look at the screen a moment. Blink. Squint. Look harder. Start at the top... work my way down...
    I then utter the wisdom,
    the knowledge,
    the learned magnitude of what I just read in one word: "Duhhh.....??"

Somebody help me...

<sigh>

You're right. I was getting carried away, and a bit testy.

I will say this, though - when people take the time to research something and imbed the link, I do follow it and read the link before posting, as it's the polite thing to do. Replying without bothering to follow the link is like ignoring half of what someone said and only responding to a small portion.

It's downright rude.

<sigh>

You're right. I was getting carried away, and a bit testy.

I will say this, though - when people take the time to research something and imbed the link, I do follow it and read the link before posting, as it's the polite thing to do. Replying without bothering to follow the link is like ignoring half of what someone said and only responding to a small portion.

It's downright rude.
    It really is rude and dismissive when someone asks questions in such a manner that it shifts the burden of responsibility off the person asking questions and hefts it onto the shoulders of everyone else.

And I disagree with others responses to either ignore or not participate.

That behavior should be openly questioned. Because it is not beneficial for anyone to have other people doing their work for them.

But, - one must be observant enough to know when the person asking the questions is doing that.
    A lot of folks are not doing that. But they are continuing to ask questions based on what they have been reading and ThAt is a GooD thing.

I am getting concerned about our youth. After spending some time in other forums, I see a trend or pattern forming. It is much easier to ask someone the answer than to spend the time researching it yourself. At 53 I was taught to try to find the answer myself then ask if I did not find it or understand it. I saw this becoming a problem years ago with playstation games. My son would ask me to buy a game and we would spend $40.00 on it. He would take it home and play with it and when the level got top hard he would jump to the computer and download the cheats and beat the game. Then trade the game off because it was over. I see the same thing being applied today. Everyday on help.com there is a multitude of young people who can not or will not look things up for themselves. So they post a help question on there in hopes that someone will do it for them. While this disturbs me, I am trying to view it as a sign of the times. We move at such a rapid pace now and it just gets faster and faster with more things to learn. Maybe there is some underlying cause for this. I understand the frustration with this and if you ever study people and want to see them get angry just make one person do something that requires some effort and then tell the other person in the room that they don't have to do that. I wish I had an answer for this problem but I don't.

I think they ask questions, because they have the possibility to.
    The Internet brings all the experts in your house. At least you hope they are experts...

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna2 View Post
    I think they ask questions, because they have the possibility to.
    The Internet brings all the experts in your house. At least you hope they are experts...
    My son asks me questions all the time. I welcome that. However, since he could first read and/or use the internet, I noticed that he first went either to Wikipedia, or Google, or to the public library, first, before he would ask me a question.

Instead of coming to BAUT.

First.

Before first going to any other of very fine three resources (where we wouldn't waste time reinventing the wheel...)

However, since he could first read and/or use the internet, I noticed that he first went either to Wikipedia, or Google, or to the public library, first, before he would ask me a question.
    Does he live in a different city?

Quote Originally Posted by hhEb09'1 View Post
    Does he live in a different city?
    Yes. I'm divorced and he lives with his mom. I see him every chance I get, though!

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Also, threatening to report is skirting a Rule 16 violation[/COLOR]
    Threatening to report any particular poster in any forum is most certainly a violation of the rules.

Threatening in the About Baut forum to report report any generic (unnamed) poster who might violate BAUT's rules is in direct accordance with the rules.

Please take the time to understand the difference between the two...

Thanks.

Threatening in the About Baut forum to report report any generic (unnamed) poster who might violate BAUT's rules is in direct accordance with the rules.
    ... Except you threatened to report people who didn't read your links. "Not reading your links" isn't a rules violation, and attempting to report that would be a pretty clear abuse of the reports post feature.

If there's a freedom of speech issue that applies unconditionally to BAUT, it's that no one is entitled to a captive audience. And the (unwritten) rule has always been to say what you have to say in your own words, supported with judicious cites, references, and reasonable quotes (within fair use). (See CT forum for ample precedents. It comes up there pretty regularly.)

The message must compel on its own merits.

Otherwise, I'll just have to link to Google and insist you read the site in its entirety. ()
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Threatening to report any particular poster in any forum is most certainly a violation of the rules.

Except, the moderator did not read your links, and you said you'd report any poster that didn't. So, we've moved from "unnamed" to "named"
    Please take the time to understand the difference between the two...
    Seriously, though, I think the mods understand the difference between the two. It was just an example of how you'd be in trouble if you actually put your plan into play (in the real threads).

I could go on, but I've had enough meta-meta-analysis for one morning, already

If everything can be answered by doing research elsewhere, what would the Q&A forum be for?

Asking if you remembered to wash behind your ears.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis