Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Share Your Art Thread!

Talking The Share Your Art Thread!

(This may be in the wrong area..)

Do any Baut Forumers draw, photoshop, or is even a photographer? Do you have pictures you are especially proud of and want to share? I've made a special forum just for people like you (and me)!

The photos and drawings in this thread are property of the Artist and may not be used or replicated without the Artists permission.

Ok, this one has taken me about three days to draw. It's actually pretty good for a portrait type drawing, since I'm mainly into cartoons and anime.

It's based off this image of my and my boyfriend. I added some to the bottom and cut some off of the side (Mainly because when I finished his head I realized I was too high up and too far right. LOL)

I also darkened his glasses and my hair, and neglected to put in the shine from the window in the background, mainly because I suck and highlighting and shadowing.

Now I want to see some of your guy's work of art! Some of the stuff you're really proud of. If you already have a website or something, you can link it and mention some of your favorites!

(If anybody knows how to resize an image so that it'll fit the page, let me know, mkays? The one I have is way~ too big.)

Oh oh oh!

I have art!

From an old comic of mine. I have galleries on http://spiegelscherben.deviantart.com (art) and http://mirrormirror.deviantart.com (Photography).

Right now I'm participating in Nanomango, a drive to draw 30 comic pages in 30 days. I don't have anything nice scanned yet, though...

PS: For resizing and other edits, use photoshop or if you don't have that, irfanview is a nice free picture viewer and rudimental editor.

There is also GIMP, which is sort of a freeware, open source Photoshop.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Just briefly checked out your website (I need to go to bed, and was getting ready to, but ssaw that you posted so I thought let's check it out.)

I absolutely adore your Star Kiss picture, which appeared on the front page (I'm not sure if it's randomized or not.)

What media do you use?

(And photoshop is being a butt so I'm going to try the other program first thing tomorrow. Thanks!)

Thanks!
    I used photoshop for Star Kiss. I have a whole series that I should be changing into Adobe Illustrator vector format, but you know... no time or motivation.

The GIMP is also good for a photoshop knockoff. Personally I still prefer photoshop because it handles some things better in my opinion, but on the other hand GIMP doesn't cost a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    ... and http://mirrormirror.deviantart.com (Photography).
    jokergirl,
    I took a quick look and I really like your work. Spice 2 is beautiful.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I dabble a bit....

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

That's beautiful Cougar; I've always loved that style of Asian water colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That's beautiful Cougar; I've always loved that style of Asian water colors.
    I as well, I love how they suggest rather then say. I know that is cliche, but it is still true none the less.

I do a little colored penciling and some collages. Mostly I work on paper that's too big to scan, though.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Thanks, Swift & Raven. I appreciate your appreciation. I like lots of white space.... sort of like the distance between a nucleus and its electron.... or between stars.... Well, maybe not that much space....

I love inkpainting, Cougar. Care to share your techniques? What materials did you use for that picture?

I really love the colors in your painting, Cougar. Especially the blue. It strikes a happy chord in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I dabble a bit....

is it a water color painting !!, really very nice in shading, the image here is just looking like a "still-life" style painting, (but it is a live painting).

well painting,sketching are my hobbies.

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

this is a good free paintshop, loosely affiliated with microsoft.

eta
    It started development as an undergraduate college senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the Microsoft Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple image and photo editor tool. It has been compared to other digital photo editing software packages such as Adobe® Photoshop®, Corel® Paint Shop Pro®, Microsoft Photo Editor, and The GIMP.

Boo child, that isn't your best work by a long shot, what gives?

Oh what a minute! Is this because your boyfriend is going to spend the summer with his father in Singapore? Awwwww. I'm still not used to you acting girly. (Unlike her sister or her mother)
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Other than airplanes (an obscession of mine), I have very limited artistic talents. I work with Unified Modeling Language (UML) every day. In UML, states are represented by rounded rectangles, processes are represented by elongated ovals, use cases are represented by ovals, and actors are represented by stick figures.

A few weeks ago, the six year old son of one of my colleges saw his mother studing a UML diagram. He said, "Mommy, I draw just like that!" True enough, he also uses stick figures to represent people. That's about the level of my artistic ability - that of a six year old. Hey, I could do worse. Much of what passes for modern art is (IMO) at a much lower level than that of a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Jacks View Post
    Other than airplanes (an obscession of mine)
    I was just thinking of a silly joke of posting a couple of images I made recently with airplanes in them, the joke being that they're not artistic at all. I did it to clarify and help me learn what was new stuff about the aircraft to me. I knew practically nothing about military aircraft until recently, when I started looking into the F-22 because of politics (John McCain was trying to get rid of it!), and that led to a whole bunch more information comparing the F-22 to other planes and them to each other. While I was learning about them, I kept seeing size comparisons, but, although the numbers were given, there were no images with these planes next to each other for comparison, so I decided to make my own based on the numbers and the separate individual images I could get (which has thankfully always included a drawing from exactly above or below).

Of course, my "real" artistic endeavors are photography and just a tiny bit of 3D CGI, but posting any of that wouldn't have been as goofy as posting a couple of images with only a monochrome background and a set of monochrome no-detail silhouettes. So here's a photograph (not at all typical of my photography) that makes people wonder what it's a photograph of...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guess.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	8033  

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Of course, my "real" artistic endeavors are photography and just a tiny bit of 3D CGI, but posting any of that wouldn't have been as goofy as posting a couple of images with only a monochrome background and a set of monochrome no-detail silhouettes. So here's a photograph (not at all typical of my photography) that makes people wonder what it's a photograph of...
    Foam on your windscreen in a car wash? (Taken from the inside, as well.)

I love abstract photography, I have quite a few in my gallery (linked above). So it might be evil of me to play at guessing.

I don't know if I would call this "art", but the link below is to my digital photographs from my recent trip to Italy.

picasaweb - Italy 2008
    This my first use of Picasa and some people have told me that it can be kind of slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Jacks View Post
    Other than airplanes (an obscession of mine), I have very limited artistic talents. I work with Unified Modeling Language (UML) every day. In UML, states are represented by rounded rectangles, processes are represented by elongated ovals, use cases are represented by ovals, and actors are represented by stick figures.

A few weeks ago, the six year old son of one of my colleges saw his mother studing a UML diagram. He said, "Mommy, I draw just like that!" True enough, he also uses stick figures to represent people. That's about the level of my artistic ability - that of a six year old. Hey, I could do worse. Much of what passes for modern art is (IMO) at a much lower level than that of a child.
    My artististic talents tend towards story telling and aquaria. I set up some really breathtaking biotope tanks. (Tanks set up to represent specific ecological niches or rivers and lakes.)

Boo, Mr. Jacks is being humble. I swiped this from another thread about jobs.

At 18, I joined the Army National Guard to be a paratrooper. It was exciting.
    I also went to school to learn how to be an electronics technician.
    I switched to the Air Force a couple years later (for a variety of reasons) and worked on communications systems.
    After 4 years of that, I got out of the military, completed a degree in Math, taught school for a year, then went back in the Air Force as an officer. In that capacity, I controlled satellites, was a space surveillance crew commander, and space surveillance program manager.
    I got out again in 1992 and completed a second master's degree in Software Engineering. My first master's was in space systems management.
    I programmed for MCI for a couple years and then was hired to work on developing ground support software for the MilStar satellite constellation. In a couple weeks, I'll celebrate my 13th anniversary with the company.
    During that time, I've developed multimedia software to teach aircraft recognition to fighter pilots. I also developed some specialized ground analysis for the UFO satellite constellation and worked to help develop an expert system to examine operating system crash dump files.

Currently, I'm an enterprise architect performing business process and systems engineering for two projects. The first is developing space situational awareness operational architecture for Air Force Space Command. The other is developing system architecture for a Boeing project dealing with high speed communications (I'm in Seattle right now on a business trip).

The work is interesting and challenging. It helps our customers in many ways so the work is important. It also pays well and can't be outsourced to non-US citizens for security reasons. The job suits me very well.

Bold mine.

Boo, this sets the invasion date back at least 3 years until we can integrate this newly aquired "stealth" technology we got it off the internet into the fleet. (We never needed it before.)

Mr. Jacks, I think I see what your talent is. Doesn't translate well to pretty pictures but it's there. (And suddenly the book A Spell for Chameleon springs to mind)
    Last edited by BigDon; 2008-Jun-05 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Stuff got out of order
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    I love inkpainting, Cougar. Care to share your techniques? What materials did you use for that picture?
    Chinese brush painting, but water color instead of ink. I watched Ning Yeh on TV a few times and was fascinated. Then when I lived in Japan for a year, I became an obsessed madman, with bamboo paintings covering the walls of our little apartment. Unfortunately, that's all I do -- bamboo, bamboo, bamboo...

The brush is special. You load the brush with one color, then add a different color to the tip of the brush to get that shading. (I retouched the shading on the one shown below, the composition of which I rather copied from a painting I saw in Tokyo somewhere. Retouching almost always ruins these type paintings....)

The paper is actually white; the kind of purple tinge is an artifact of trying to capture the painting with a digital camera.

And of course, I had to get my own stamp! "Chi En Basu," which is vaguely how the Japanese (mis)pronounced my last name.

Then there's photography....

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Boo child, that isn't your best work by a long shot, what gives?

Oh what a minute! Is this because your boyfriend is going to spend the summer with
    his father in Singapore? Awwwww. I'm still not used to you acting girly. (Unlike her sister or her mother)

Well, you're used to me doing cartoonish stuff. Have you EVER seen me do a portrait? Nope.

And peoples, I'm loving the pictures and feedback. I really, really like the goldfish one. (A few would be awesome avatars too!)

Swift, I'm still loading the page after like three minut- oh wait, there it goes.

These are great! Is that a smart car somewhere in there?

What kind of camera do you guys use? (You guys being everyone who used a photo.)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Boo View Post
    Swift, I'm still loading the page after like three minut- oh wait, there it goes.

These are great! Is that a smart car somewhere in there?

What kind of camera do you guys use? (You guys being everyone who used a photo.)
    Thanks

Yes to the Smart Car. It was painted to match the color scheme of the company that owned it, and was parked in front of their store, I though it was funny.

My camera is a Canon Powershot G1, which is close to 8 years old. I guess in "digital camera years" it must be about 100. Still works fine for me, and is new compared to my film camera, a Canon AE-1P, that is about 25 years old. But I still lug it around on these trips because of the 75-300 mm telephoto I have for it. I took four rolls of film with it in Italy, but I'm not going to upload those. When those die I will move to a digital SLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Boo View Post
    Mine is a Fuji S9600.

The first guess on my "abstract" photograph was correct, which is quite strange.

I might try to pick out a few more pictures to post later. (I want to wait and make sure that someone in charge around here doesn't say that burdening this free site with a bunch of big unneeded pictures would be rude.)

I take lots of photos. They are mostly of sites of archaeological interest, and tend to be showing the site in the context of the landscape - although I do also take pictures for purposes of documenting sites, as well as landscape pictures, etc.. Some of my photographs are on display in museums in the Highlands, and some are published in books. I've posted a few on the boards before.

The standard of artwork shown and linked to on this thread so far is very good! I can't paint or draw. At all.

HD 86087 from the night sky of a world orbiting 26 draconis.

I made this a few years ago, and used it in a sig, for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Mine is a Fuji S9600.

The first guess on my "abstract" photograph was correct, which is quite strange.

I might try to pick out a few more pictures to post later. (I want to wait and make sure that someone in charge around here doesn't say that burdening this free site with a bunch of big unneeded pictures would be rude.)
    You can always post them on flickr or a similar free photo site and link them in with bbcode.

Edit: I shot most of my pictures with an Olympus C5050Z, although I'm experimenting with a Canon DSLR as well. It's so heavy it hurts my hands so I don't use it that much.