Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What telescope should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I think a Dobsonian tube can be made of anything. I have one made of wood.
    OK, Orion Dob Tubes are made of Steel. :P

How about a Dob made of an old cannon? A) the mount is pretty much there already and B) ... it would be... really heavy. Yeah. Good reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by LotusExcelle View Post
    How about a Dob made of an old cannon? A) the mount is pretty much there already and B) ... it would be... really heavy. Yeah. Good reasons!
    Dude, like, rifling so messes with your light path, y'know!

Yeah, the light gets all dizzy and pukes in your eyepiece!

Quote Originally Posted by redshifter
    I don't know that I'll ever upgrade to a larger scope, as it has enough aperature to show a great many objects, but still small enough that it can fit in most cars.
    You might be surprised about the size issue. I measured the dimensions of my mom's car's trunk against those of an Obsession 15", and the Obsession fit (it's not a particularly large trunk, either). I may even have been able to squeeze the 18 in, but it would be tight. Granted, though, those are both premium truss Dobs, not solid tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by texaswonderer
    one thing I havent seen mentioned, is where you live? The important questions would be how much light pollution do you have, and what is your elevation from sea level..

basically, I think it is possible to have too much mirror depending on how close you are to sea level.
    The where he lives question is more important simply because, if he's not in the US or Canada, Orion won't ship to him (read their shipping policy just to make sure). The "too much aperture for the light pollution level" is simply a myth. For pulling out fainter objects, bigger is always better.

The "too much aperture for the light pollution level" is simply a myth. For pulling out fainter objects, bigger is always better.
    Plus, the bigger the aperture, the more magnification you can use and magnification darkens the background.

Thank you all for your comments. O and the answer to that Q where do you live its North West Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by ctcoker View Post
    The "too much aperture for the light pollution level" is simply a myth. For pulling out fainter objects, bigger is always better.

interesting, i will keep that in mind in the future.

[QUOTE=ctcoker;1290185]You might be surprised about the size issue. I measured the dimensions of my mom's car's trunk against those of an Obsession 15", and the Obsession fit (it's not a particularly large trunk, either). I may even have been able to squeeze the 18 in, but it would be tight. Granted, though, those are both premium truss Dobs, not solid tubes.

Oh, I realize a truss style dob can break down such that a pretty dang large scope will fit in a lot of vehicles, but I like that my solid tube requires no assembly time in the field, other that plunking the tube onto the mount. It's a nice compromise for me.