Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 46 of 46

Thread: Flat Earth

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    13,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepton View Post
    Does anybody here have any idea how Pangea fits into flat Earth theory?
    Yeah, that's easy.

    Deny that It Exists and cover your ears when the evidence is presented.
    If it's presented loudly, then loudly cast all doubt upon Pangea that you can.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,201
    There is no way the Earth is flat


    I put it on charge first thing this morning

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    713
    Why, it never existed of course.

    http://theflatearthsociety.net/forum...35&topic=200.0

    Warning: Reading that thread may actually decrease your IQ

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    Why, it never existed of course.

    http://theflatearthsociety.net/forum...35&topic=200.0

    Warning: Reading that thread may actually decrease your IQ
    Goodbye plate tectonics. Would it be ok if I said they were crazy?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    713
    Feel free.

    Im inclined to let the evidence speak for itself.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    Feel free.

    Im inclined to let the evidence speak for itself.
    I suppose if someone is inclined for some reason to believe the Earth is flat, they can't be expected to understand or accept science.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,275
    Neverfly, you missed another irrefutable argument.

    If the Earth were a sphere, all our houses would have to be built with walls that were farther apart at the top than at the bottom. (Draw this for yourself if you don't believe me.) If they weren't, the walls would all fall inward during construction.

    But I've worked on houses, and watched others being built, and I know for a fact that the top edge of every wall is exactly the same length as the bottom edge. So the Earth has to be flat. QED!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepton View Post
    Since Mr. Plait is now the president of the James Randi Educational Foundation maybe you can have him submit an application on your behalf for the 1 million dollar challenge since you are apparently psychic
    Eh, million, schmillion. It doesn't go as far as it used to go.

    I'd much rather receive one of those coveted Pigasus awards. There's a mark of destinktion!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    BAM!
    One Menu comin' up...
    HA!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,158
    I used to think these guys were some kind of stand up routine, maybe the likes of Weekly World News fictional news which would feature headlines like Batchild born, Bat child escapes, Batchild found. I though the whole movement was a tabloid comical joke, but after looking into them their 'movement' seems serious. They are everywhere on the fringe internet... I don't know how to class their mindset, maybe half pseudo mysticism, maybe just generally anti-everything rational, anti-establishment coast 2 coast conspiracy radio, they type of people who spend day and weeks trying to photograph 'Bigfoot' and good deal of paranoia stuff about aliens and lizard people

    They were in the news again recently

    The Flat Earth Society Just Responded to Elon Musk's Tweet And We're Confused
    https://www.sciencealert.com/the-fla...ars-conspiracy
    While pondering the exotic spectacle of the Martian sunset, the CEO wondered: given there's such a thing as the Flat Earth Society (yep), why doesn't the Red Planet have its own equivalent?

    "Why is there no Flat Mars Society!?" he tweeted, probably just to amuse himself and his followers, and likely never expecting to find a serious response.


    There have been similar threads on the forum before
    https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...-Flat!!!/page4
    this one provided 4 pages of amusement

    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    There is no way the Earth is flat


    I put it on charge first thing this morning
    LMAO, so silly its genius!

  11. #41
    Glom's Avatar
    Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    11,213
    Major necromancy, almost as much as dredging up ancient misconceptions about the universe and promoting them in the modern era.

    Although to be fair, the ancients were never heavy on flat earth. Geocentrism yes, but not flat Earth.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    Neverfly, you missed another irrefutable argument.

    If the Earth were a sphere, all our houses would have to be built with walls that were farther apart at the top than at the bottom. (Draw this for yourself if you don't believe me.) If they weren't, the walls would all fall inward during construction.

    But I've worked on houses, and watched others being built, and I know for a fact that the top edge of every wall is exactly the same length as the bottom edge. So the Earth has to be flat. QED!
    Then why are the bums of builders, visible on account of their low slung work jeans, clearly round? Eh? Eh?

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    8,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Major necromancy, almost as much as dredging up ancient misconceptions about the universe and promoting them in the modern era.

    Although to be fair, the ancients were never heavy on flat earth. Geocentrism yes, but not flat Earth.
    Which ancients, and what do you mean by "never heavy on flat earth"?

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Which ancients, and what do you mean by "never heavy on flat earth"?
    I think the point there is that it was simply a handy description to consider the earth flat for any ancient, not a matter of religious zeal like the "Latter Day Flats".

    I could be wrong.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Which ancients, and what do you mean by "never heavy on flat earth"?
    I think they mean that most everybody who thought about it realized that the earth was round.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    12,936
    Yes, I think “heavy on” something means that you like it. I’m not sure if it’s a new expression of one from the sixties. I think that people used to say “that’s heavy” to mean what my generate would say “cool.”
    As above, so below

Similar Threads

  1. Do they really think the earth is flat?
    By Sticks in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2008-Aug-09, 09:05 PM
  2. Flat earth
    By parallaxicality in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 2007-Apr-23, 02:55 PM
  3. The Earth is flat!
    By Lam in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 2005-Aug-11, 05:51 PM
  4. The earth is Flat!!!
    By g99 in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 2003-Mar-31, 05:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •