Thread: 2021 Doomsday

Cool 2021 Doomsday

ooohhh...Sounds scary and ominous with a sense of forboding. Actually, if you know anything about the Mayan Calendar, the year 2012 is not the end. The calendar merely resets itself. It has reset before, however this is supposed to be the last. There are many factors that are coincidental but pertanent. The solar system will align with the galactic equator. The electromagnetic poles of the Earth will shift (which according to the best minds is long overdue). Planet Nibiru flyby? Nah... I think it is a brown dwarf star attached to ours. Most stars are binary systems. Astronomers deny this but there is evidence that something has been seen. The Mayas daily life was the calendar. Thanks to the Conquistadors, and an over zelous priest we will probably never know the whole story..until it happens.

First, it's not clear from your message. Are you predicting (or maybe asking about) doom for year 2021 or for 2012?

Your title seems to say 2021. You start out with a sound assessment of the situation with the Mayan calendar in 2012: it simply rolls over to the next major division. Nothing really interesting there.

But, then you seem to go on about the "many factors". Are they what you think applies to year 2021? Or is 2021 a typo and you fear for events in 2012 despite the non-news of the Mayan calendar?

We've discussed the false prediction of events of year 2012 many, many times in this forum. Sadly, we will probably have to discuss them many, many more times, as people turn here for astronomical facts over doomsaying.

Maybe you can look through these threads about year 2012 and see if your fears are allayed about the sort of things some mean or unthinking people have tried to scare people with. Maybe something just hasn't been already covered -- manifold times. If so, please let us know.

1. 2003 no, 2012 si
    2. 2012
    3. End of Mayan Calendar
    4. Pole shift / Planetary alignment 2012?
    5. 2012 alignment question
    6. about the Mayan 2012 item
    7. 2012 Debunking?
    8. Possible asteroid impact in 2012?
    9. 2012 asteroid?
    10. We don't have to worry about 2012!
    11. More on 2012 from India Daily
    12. 2012 Completion of conspiracy?
    13. Here's what's REALLY going to happen in 2012...
    14. crop circles, Planet X and 2012
    15. Planet X, crop circles and 2012 cataclysma
    16. According to the Mayans, what will happen on 23rd Dec. 2012?
    17. More 2012 Nonsense
    18. NEO 2012?
    19. Dangerous NEO in 2012?
    20. Christmas 2012
    21. 2012 mayan calender end of world
    22. Regarding the supposed polar shift/new ice age in 2012
    23. New 2012 threat?
    24. 2012 look at this thing on the sun
    25. Russian Expert Predicts Global Cooling from 2012
    26. Pole shift idea origins
    27. Dec 20 2012
    28. 2012 Stuff
    29. Horizon Project-New End of World Scare?
    30. Date: December 21st 2012
    31. Earth passing thru Galactic center in 2012 - didn't that already happen?
    32. 2012: What do you think well happen (if anything)
    33. So what will we see in 2012?
    34. Galactic Tsunami?
    35. Plane of the ecliptic of the galaxy?
    36. Earth's Magnetic Field & 2012
    37. 2012?
    38. Any truth to this?
    39. How can the sun be aligned with Galactic centre?
    40. the whole 2012 poles flip nonsense
    41. Planet X Official Advertisement
    42. What year are we in
    43. Quick question about the sun
    44. Galactic Alignment
    45. Books of 2012! -
    46. 2007 = 2012
    47. Return of Planet X By Rand
    48. Don Alejandro - Mayan Elder.
    49. Toutatis 4179: 2012?
    50. Galactic Alignment in 2012 ?
    51. Solar Storms
    52. A real prediction!
    53. NIBURU - Brown Dwarf, The DESTROYER
    54. 2012 Galactic Alignment
    55. Not 2012 again! But I cant help it~
    56. New evidence for 2012 TEOTWAWKI!!!
    57. this may be a silly question but...
    58. Just to know if this is true
    59. Just Wondering...
    60. Planet X/Nibiru, is it real?
    61. Youv heard this a million times.
    62. Nibaru or Planet X
    63. Mayan calendar
    64. 2012 Article?
    65. can i say something please on planet x
    66. Nibiru
    67. The growing earth.... :P
    68. Our Solar System's Eclipse of the Galactic Plane on Dec 21, 2012?
    69. Something scaring the hell out of me....
    70. Its Only the end of the World AGAIN!!! (Woo Woo Alert)
    71. 2021 Doomsday

Universe Today: No Doomsday in 2012
    Bad Astronomy Blog: 2012, the year nothing will happen
    Universe Today: 2012: No Planet X
    Universe Today: 2012: Planet X is not Nibiru
    Universe Today: 2012: No Killer Solar Flare

If you really wish to make predictions or ask about year 2021 and not 2012, let us know. That would be refreshingly new and interesting. Not really. Just different.

And, welcome to the BAIT Forum (Edit: that's a good typo, but I meant BAUT Forum) where rationality frequently rules. May your stay be a pleasant and calm one.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

I think it would be better if you merged all those threads into one big one. Maybe make it sticky too, so that people who want to ask this question have a place to go.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

First, our numerical friend doesn't have the authority. Second . . . I am not hopeful that it would stop new threads. For one, you'd have to decide where to put the sticky, and wherever you put it, new threads would appear elsewhere.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

A most excellent pushing of the goal post, I must say. I saw recently in a thrift store a book a describing how it was all going to go down in the 1980's. Later everyone was sure it was going to be 2000 was Armageddon day. Then 2012, and now 2021. Heckles cakes, they thought the world was going to end in 1000 A.D. at one point, and there was certainly earlier times set for the Big One. Like the idea of the early followers of the Way that the reappearance of their founder/deity would be before the death of one of his chief followers. Alas, no show. I was raised on this kahooie, and frankly I am sick of it. I would stay awake at night terrified that tonight would be the Night. I lost more sleep over that then all the scary movies I ever saw. I still have near panic attacks about it occasionally. So frankly, I have little patients with this drivel.
    Good day to you sir.

My hunch is that 2021 is a typo in the title line.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    My hunch is that 2021 is a typo in the title line.
    Just wait, 2012 will around, like any year. No brown dwarf ripping through our solar system,no wrath of the gods, no this that or whatever. And then the starters of this big bag of bombastic baloney will say "No wait! Further calculations show that. . ." and they will choose some other date, based on the freckle patterns of Egyptian mummies no doubt. And these shystering schlock dealers will keep making money from their religiously fanatical true believers. If the cycle starts to peter out, they will go onto something else, leaving a lot a wreaked lives in their wake.

The leaves are just starting to turn pretty colours and I love looking at them, especially in contrast to the clear, blue sky. This world of ours is so beautiful and it makes me sad that people are making money by pretending that it is going to end.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by ravens_cry View Post
    A most excellent pushing of the goal post, I must say. I saw recently in a thrift store a book a describing how it was all going to go down in the 1980's. Later everyone was sure it was going to be 2000 was Armageddon day. Then 2012, and now 2021. Heckles cakes, they thought the world was going to end in 1000 A.D. at one point
    When the world failed to end in AD 1000, some people adroitly concluded that what mattered wasn't Jesus's birth but his death and resurrection, and that the End therefore was in store for AD 1033. Modern parallels suggest themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ravens_cry View Post
    Just wait, 2012 will around, like any year. No brown dwarf ripping through our solar system,no wrath of the gods, no this that or whatever. And then the starters of this big bag of bombastic baloney will say "No wait! Further calculations show that. . ." and they will choose some other date, based on the freckle patterns of Egyptian mummies no doubt. And these shystering schlock dealers will keep making money from their religiously fanatical true believers. If the cycle starts to peter out, they will go onto something else, leaving a lot a wreaked lives in their wake.
    Party pooper.

[Marvin the Martian] Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be an Earth shattering kaboom! [/MtM]

A good planetary extinction event would really liven this place up!

I agree, so long as it comes after our Martian colonies are well established. Complete extinction of humanity can ruin your whole day.

For some reason I am thinking the Mayans tell their date differently from how we do today. The dates the Mayans predicted with the numbers 2 and 1, 1 and 2 either way so
    In these order either way again, date, month, year or year, month, date or month, year date. We have date, month, year and for some reason as to what is happening in our world today in front of my eyes seems to be getting worse and if so far the mayans have got some of the predictions right then I thought about the date the world ends "maybe" in this order from the mayans could be year, date, month, or year, month, date so it could be the year 2021 of the 12th of December, the year 2021 of December on the 12th date. Or order today would be the 12th of December 2021 or 12/12/21. Some may agree some may not but I am just thinking maybe or what if. It might not be true.

Hi SkyGreen05, welcome to CQ.

You are correct that the Mayans had a different calendar system than we do, but it was more different than they put the month and day in a different order. They didn't even have months like we do. There is a pretty good explanation on wikipedia.

The Haab' was made up of eighteen months of twenty days each plus a period of five days ("nameless days") at the end of the year known as Wayeb' (or Uayeb in 16th-century orthography).
    As far as the world ending on 21 December 2012 (or any particular date) according to the Mayans, that is just nonsense. As I said, the Mayans kept a very different calendar than we do. In addition to an annual calendar (and several other short cycle calendars, like a 260 day cycle called the Tzolk'in, that corresponded to changes in how Venus appeared), they had some very long time periods that are sort of like our centuries and millennia.

Historians have tried to match up their calendar with ours (an online converter), but there isn't even complete agreement among historians about that. Using one of those match-ups, one of the long Mayan cycles supposedly ended on 21 December 2012. But there are a lot of assumptions there.

Thing is, there is no evidence that the Mayans thought the world ended at the end of a cycle, any more than we think the world will end on 31 December 2018. And there is no evidence that the Mayans had any ability to predict the future over 1000 years after they existed. If they did, they might have done a better job predicting the end of their own civilization.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    The leaves are just starting to turn pretty colours and I love looking at them, especially in contrast to the clear, blue sky. This world of ours is so beautiful and it makes me sad that people are making money by pretending that it is going to end.
    Ten years later (Wow!) this is still how I feel.

Newton's 2060 date will be one of the next up on the block

December 21, 2021 which is the day of the winter solstice is Julian Day number 2,459,570 which is also the sum of the first 829 prime numbers, and 829 is a prime number. What more proof could anyone ask for?

"When will be this end you speak of brother?"
    " In about two minutes according to the ancient scrolls."

".....perhaps we should compose ourselves "

" now comes the end. Perish the world"

" Not the great conflagration we were expecting. Er....that was Greenwich mean time ?
    Oh well , same time tomorrow then,lads ."

Throw a dart at a dartboard full of dates, that throw will be as accurate.

Relevant here?

https://arxiv.org/abs/1601.03132

Solution of the Mayan Calendar Enigma

Thomas Chanier (Submitted on 13 Jan 2016 (v1), last revised 15 Nov 2018 (this version, v7))

The Mayan calendar is proposed to derive from an arithmetical model of naked-eye astronomy. The Palenque and Copan lunar equations, used during the Maya Classic period (200 to 900 AD) are solution of the model and the results are expressed as a function of the Xultun numbers, four enigmatic Long Count numbers deciphered in the Maya ruins of Xultun, dating from the IX century AD, providing strong arguments in favor of the use of the model by the Maya. The different Mayan Calendar cycles can be derived from this model and the position of the Calendar Round at the mythical date of creation 13(0).0.0.0.0 4 Ahau 8 Cumku is calculated. This study shows the high proficiency of Mayan mathematics as applied to astronomy and timekeeping for divinatory purposes.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)