Page 131 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132 LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 3950

Thread: What are you reading?

What The Hell Did I Just Read, the third in David Wong's "Dave and John" series, which started with John Dies At The End and This Book Is Full Of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It.
    Best yet, I think. The idea of exorcising a demon by firing the Turin Shroud at it with a T-shirt cannon was worth the price of admission, all on its own.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

All Over Creation by Ruth Ozeki. After totally enjoying her A Tale For The Time Being, I just finished All Over Creation, which was really, really good. It just kept getting better and better. A great book! Tremendous characters and story. I'm now a major fan of Ozeki and plan on getting her My Year of Meats next. I'm not crazy about that title, but I expect I'll be enjoying that book quite well.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Sir Edmund Hillary's memoir, View from the Summit. It jumps around a bit in his life, but I'm enjoying it, especially the detailed description of the first crossing of Antarctica.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Moved on to I, Jedi. Funniest thing I read in while, TIE fighters are the most common thing after hydrogen and stupidity.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Sir Edmund Hillary's memoir, View from the Summit. It jumps around a bit in his life, but I'm enjoying it, especially the detailed description of the first crossing of Antarctica.
    I finished it! Hillary was one of my heroes as a kid and it was great to read him talk about his adventures in his own words as an adult.

I've been reading Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself. I'm about to finish the book one and I can't wait to start reading the book two. Love it!
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2018-Aug-21 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Banned as a spammer.

My local public library is closed for refurbishment for a month or so. Another branch is just as convenient to use but I have taken this as a chance to reread some old favourites. James Thurber's "My World and Welcome to it" (1942 edition), some Alexander Woollcott short pieces (1945 posthumous edition) - Woollcott was an Alumni of the Algonquin Round Table and the inspiration for the curmudgeonly Sheridan Whiteside character in the play and film "The Man Who Came to Dinner". Some light comedy pieces (1951) by Cornelia Otis Skinner - who would be probably unknown to most/all. She was a stage, radio and occasional screen actor in the 1920's - 1960's with a nice light writing style. She wrote for publications like The New Yorker.

I've always meant to read some of her writing.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

[QUOTE=Gillianren;2458103]I've always meant to read some of her writing.[/QUOTE

(You are the reason I put most/all as I thought there was a chance you, if anyone, had heard of her.

My parents had a 1930's edition of one of her books in my childhood. Over the years I have managed to find another 4 or 5 books from 2nd hand charity book sales. She is not up to the standard of, say, Thurber but writes nice light amusing little pieces, often making fun of herself.

Because of her career she she came across many famous show business people of her era and they are occasionally part of her stories, but not in a name-dropping way. They are often illuminating glimpses of her time, including one piece about being interviewed by Alfred Kinsey for his work on female sexuality. She makes it clear that she has no intention of listing what she was asked nor what she answered but the reactions of people to her interview makes for very amusing reading.

"Hillbilly elegy" by J D Vance, sort of interesting book about growing up in Ohio as the child of poor Kentucky migrants. I'm not sure where it is going, but he does have an odd idea of what is middle class.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    "Hillbilly elegy" by J D Vance, sort of interesting book about growing up in Ohio as the child of poor Kentucky migrants. I'm not sure where it is going, but he does have an odd idea of what is middle class.
    Obligatory link to explanatory video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxpZkKKbDgA

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

The book contains claims like (paraphrased because I don't have the book with me): having well paid blue collar jobs had moved them into the middle class. It is a curious book, it describes much but explains little.

Having put down The Viking and finished the other three, I have started re-reading The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Gibbon. I've pushed through the tough parts, part 1-3 and have gotten to the good bits. I am also reading House of Suns by Reynolds and a collection of short stories for a class. Alice Walker's Flowers was the last short piece I read and the next required reading is "Everyday Use". Both are excellent, quick reads.
    Solfe

The Island at the Top of the World by Ian Cameron, as I’d heard good things about the Disney movie based on it. Surprisingly, while the movie is set in Edwardian times, the book is set in the then-contemporary early 1960s, which makes the arctic exploration plot very different technologically!

I recently finished An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon. I quite liked it, even though a good portion of the plot and milieu are likely more meaningful for another demographic. Part social commentary, part adventure, and part liberation tale, it's complex and satisfying, even for this nominally cisgender white dude. The biggest "flaw" for me was the ambiguity associated with the ending and final destination of the rest of the population.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Just finished The big Splat, read while working at the call center years ago. I am thinking doing a write on some of the science books I have for the blog. One of the next ones I am thinking is Bad Astronomy never read before, any good.

I did find it good, although as a longtime reader of the site, most of the information covered was already familiar to me.

Looks like it will be a while to read it still, need a credit card to get it online. Have a gift card but don't think works online for this chain, while I probably get the skeptics guide book instead.
    I know this Phil guy wrote a couple of books but haven't heard much from him since.

After doing the write up, and finishing An unsuitable job for a Lady, I picked that book so many years ago. I have to chose some books by unusual criteria, what color are the covers because I know can't wear any colors that represent any of the parties here in Canada probably goes to stuff like books as well, while working at the polling station.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Sep-12 at 02:21 PM.

Made it to the top of the hold list for I'll Be Gone In the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search For the Golden State Killer, by Michelle McNamara. She was Patton Oswalt's wife, a true crime writer who died a couple of years ago. Her book was released just as the guy was finally caught, too. The next edition will cover that information; this one does not.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Made it to the top of the hold list for I'll Be Gone In the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search For the Golden State Killer, by Michelle McNamara. She was Patton Oswalt's wife, a true crime writer who died a couple of years ago. Her book was released just as the guy was finally caught, too. The next edition will cover that information; this one does not.
    Oswalt went into a few bookstores in New York, including the Strand near where I live, on the day the killer was caught and added signs that said "You got him, Michelle" to the displays. I wasn't there when he came in, but I saw it when I visited the store later that day. Very touching.

Oswalt went into a few bookstores in New York, including the Strand near where I live, on the day the killer was caught and added signs that said "You got him, Michelle" to the displays. I wasn't there when he came in, but I saw it when I visited the store later that day. Very touching.
    Has DeAngelo been tried and found guilty?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Has DeAngelo been tried and found guilty?

Grant Hutchison
    Not yet, perhaps I should have said "the suspect" instead?

Not yet, perhaps I should have said "the suspect" instead?
    I was really thinking that, while I sympathize with Oswalt's impulse, there's a "fair trial" aspect that's being undermined somewhat - the publicity is creating a general assumption that the guy's guilty.
    It's already an interesting case because of the bioethics of the way evidence was gathered, and this "trial by bookstore" aspect will make it even more complicated, I think.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Selfdestructible, a self-published book by my friend Mike Vago. An interesting superhero story.

"You can't erase icing."

Abominable Science: Origins of the Yeti, Nessie, and Other Famous Cryptids, by Daniel Loxton and Donald R. Prothero. Rather neatly picks apart the history of the legends of the various creatures, points out how much of it is based on hoaxing, and explains where the science falls apart.

"You can't erase icing."

Abominable Science: Origins of the Yeti, Nessie, and Other Famous Cryptids, by Daniel Loxton and Donald R. Prothero. Rather neatly picks apart the history of the legends of the various creatures, points out how much of it is based on hoaxing, and explains where the science falls apart.
    I flipped through that in a bookstore a few years ago and really liked what I saw, I want to check it out in full if I can find it at a library.

A collection of scifi short stores called Lightspeed: Year One. And geeze, the tales are all depressing to varying degrees (I'm at the half way point in the anthology). Most are well-written and engaging but so far none have been particularly upbeat or amusing. I skipped through one because of the writing style; e.g. "You squat over the man..., "Your eyes scan for forgery... "You blink your eyes... " The story seemed interesting but I couldn't get past the "You and your" technique. A first person style would have worked well, or just plain old third person.

Simon's reaction to Abominable Science, when he saw what I was reading and had it explained to him, was a complete bewilderment that anyone would believe in monsters. Because they're not real.

"You can't erase icing."

Simon's reaction to Abominable Science, when he saw what I was reading and had it explained to him, was a complete bewilderment that anyone would believe in monsters. Because they're not real.
    Good for him. And good for his parents, too.
    I was frightened of the Loch Ness Monster when I was his age, because it seemed a little too nearby for comfort. My father's approach to the problem was to reason from the assumed characteristics of the monster - it's aquatic, it would need to walk a long way to get to our house, it had never been reported to attack a person and indeed was evidently shy of humans. I now understand the impulse of honesty that prevented him at that time from saying flatly, "It doesn't exist", and his substitution with a very reasonable argument that it wasn't the kind of monster that did monster things anyway, but what I took away from that conversation was, "Yeah, there's a monster loose in our country."

(Mind you, I was absolutely terrified of Santa Claus, particularly because my parents were quite evidently lying about his nature in order to cover up something even more threatening than an old man in fancy dress breaking into your house at dead of night, for alleged motives that were both laughably implausible in conception and utterly impossible in execution.)

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Sep-18 at 03:43 PM.
    Blog

Note: