Thread: Star Trek Voyager revisited

Star Trek Voyager revisited

Hi everyone. I figured I'd duck in as this is as good a place as any (ok, the best place, still) to post some thoughts I have about ST Voyager, upon a second (first, really) viewing.

Back when the series premiered, I was not impressed with the show - particularly the pilot episode. I felt like the idea that they couldn't use The Array to get back to the Alpha Quadrant because of a potential shift in the balance of power was a cop out and ridiculous. And I just never watched more than a few disconnected episodes during its run on TV.

Now, after finally catching all of DS9 (I missed the last couple of seasons while in grad school), I decided to give Voyager a "go".

And it was surprisingly better than I remembered. I found myself very impressed by Captain Janeway, and Kes is probably the most interesting character on the show, now that I am nearly at the end of Season 2.

EXCEPT

I just watched the episode titled, "Tuvix", where Neelix and Tuvok become merged into a new person. Now, I'm not going to take issue with the implausible science and handwaving necessary for this to have happened (I mean, it's Star Trek.. where would you STOP?). No. I mean, that crew, besides the Doctor, MURDERED Tuvix, straight up! It was so horrible and so against how they've built Janeway up to this point! I had NOT seen this episode before, but suffice it to say, if I had gotten this far during its first run, it would have been my very last episode. For sure.

BUT

With a couple extra jaded decades under my disappointingly longer belt, I probably will watch more eps, but I tell you, I really am upset - in the unimportant realm of the make-believe show - and the writers and director did their best to show it as a horrible decision.. but really. It was hard to watch. I mean, where do you take the characters from here? (I know, you shrug it off, it's late 90s/early 00s TV)

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Kes is probably the most interesting character on the show, now that I am nearly at the end of Season 2.
    Ooh. Awkward.

I just watched the episode titled, "Tuvix", where Neelix and Tuvok become merged into a new person. Now, I'm not going to take issue with the implausible science and handwaving necessary for this to have happened (I mean, it's Star Trek.. where would you STOP?). No. I mean, that crew, besides the Doctor, MURDERED Tuvix, straight up! It was so horrible and so against how they've built Janeway up to this point! first
    There's a reason SFDebris does his tyrant Janeway schtick.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    There's a reason SFDebris does his tyrant Janeway schtick.
    Literally no idea what that is.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

I found it to be an ok series, esp as they crossed paths with the Borg on many occasions even up to the final episode.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post

EXCEPT

I just watched the episode titled, "Tuvix", where Neelix and Tuvok become merged into a new person. Now, I'm not going to take issue with the implausible science and handwaving necessary for this to have happened (I mean, it's Star Trek.. where would you STOP?). No. I mean, that crew, besides the Doctor, MURDERED Tuvix, straight up! It was so horrible and so against how they've built Janeway up to this point! I had NOT seen this episode before, but suffice it to say, if I had gotten this far during its first run, it would have been my very last episode. For sure.

I had that reaction as well.

Yet, there was that very early episode wherein the transporter split Captain Kirk into a wimp-Kirk and a sociopath-Kirk, and nobody had any objections to killing off both of these losers to restore the standard-issue Kirk.

So, they did a good job of building some identification with Tuvix.

I liked Voyager.

Janeway consistently ranks in the top three of "Best Star Trek Captains" polls.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I liked Voyager.

Janeway consistently ranks in the top three of "Best Star Trek Captains" polls.
    Other that this outlier episode (so far), I agree. I think it's great she was a science officer, and she's very engineer minded. I love the scenes where she collaborates with Torres. And they made her strong and compassionate. Her friendship with Kes is touching without delving into mothering.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

Now there might have been a way to keep Tuvix. A Thomas Riker clone of him as the original is separated back into Neelix and Tuvok.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Now there might have been a way to keep Tuvix. A Thomas Riker clone of him as the original is separated back into Neelix and Tuvok.
    Star Trek has a disappointing knack for forgetting or not disseminating important breakthroughs like that. Honestly, with the basic tech available, contemporaneous species of the Alpha Quadrant should be more akin to the First Ones from Babylon 5.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org