Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129
Results 3,841 to 3,852 of 3852

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #3841
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,131
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Whenever I see a Three Investigators book at a used bookstore, I buy it because I read most of the series in Elementary through High School, as did my Dad back in the 60s, so it's nostalgic for both of us. As such, I am currently reading The Mystery of Death Trap Mine, because I found it at Strand a few weeks ago. Unlike some other children's mysteries, I still find the writing holds up at conveying a sense of place-- in this case, a fictional, nearly-dead, mining town in the US Southwest.

    (By the time I graduated High School, I had read all of the books in the series that our High School library had in its [incomplete] collection, up to #38 of the whole 43-book original series. Now that I've gotten into reading them again, maybe I can do a big re-read project when I go home for the summer if the High School still has the books-- and read the final ones I never got to read, too!)
    I've gotten a bit of a kick at reading that you're reading these (awkward but accurate sentence?), because I read them all in Middle/Jr. High/High School. But it's sooo long ago now, I'd probably benefit from reading them again! I did a book report on The Mystery of the Fiery Eye, and got marked down because the teacher didn't like my cover art, and I was roundly mocked by classmates (nothing new there), so I kept the rest of them to myself after that. But I loved those books!

    CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"


    lonelybirder.org

  2. #3842
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's why I've switched to Kindle. When we were moving a couple of years ago I did a massive purge and got rid of several hundred books. It hurt a bit, but not as badly as I expected. That doesn't mean there aren't a couple of hundred still here, of course.
    4,660 physical books on the premises, it says here. (And people ask why we live in such a big house.)

    Grant Hutchison

  3. #3843
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's why I've switched to Kindle. When we were moving a couple of years ago I did a massive purge and got rid of several hundred books. It hurt a bit, but not as badly as I expected. That doesn't mean there aren't a couple of hundred still here, of course.

    When I opened the back of the car, the guy at the Goodwill donation station said "Oh! We LOVE books!"

    One thing I may need to do on this one is download it to an actual computer so I can view the illustrations better than on the phone.
    On the other hand, there's a book that's available right now on Kindle for less than half the price it's going to cost when it gets released in dead tree--but there's no way I'd buy the Kindle edition, because it's an art book. The new book of Pratchett illustrations by Paul Kidby, in fact. That's the sort of thing where a Kindle would just be too small to get a proper look.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  4. #3844
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    4,660 physical books on the premises, it says here. (And people ask why we live in such a big house.)

    Grant Hutchison
    Mmm, I would like to wander through your bookshelves. I am too lazy to do a proper count but would guesstimate at a little over a 1,000 for me.

    A catalogue & full count would actually be a good idea.

  5. #3845
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Mmm, I would like to wander through your bookshelves. I am too lazy to do a proper count but would guesstimate at a little over a 1,000 for me.

    A catalogue & full count would actually be a good idea.
    The books are shelved in two rooms, thematically, but there's a lot in the attic. So the catalogue is something of a necessity, so I can go to the right shelf or the right box to find a volume I need.
    If you're going to get into cataloguing, I'd certainly recommend the software from Collectorz.com. As I enter my dotage, I'm thinking I'll maybe start to get some use from the phone app, which syncs with my master database. With the sheer volume and time span involved, there's an increasing danger I might buy the same book again, particularly if it's a reissue with a different cover, so the ability to check by author and title while standing in the book shop is appealing. But that means I might need to carry my phone around with me more often, which I find a depressing prospect. So not yet a while.

    Grant Hutchison

  6. #3846
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,774
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I've gotten a bit of a kick at reading that you're reading these (awkward but accurate sentence?), because I read them all in Middle/Jr. High/High School. But it's sooo long ago now, I'd probably benefit from reading them again! I did a book report on The Mystery of the Fiery Eye, and got marked down because the teacher didn't like my cover art, and I was roundly mocked by classmates (nothing new there), so I kept the rest of them to myself after that. But I loved those books!

    CJSF
    I finished Death Trap Mine yesterday! The ending is still tense and exciting, and Allie Jamison gets her moment to shine.

  7. #3847
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The books are shelved in two rooms, thematically, but there's a lot in the attic. So the catalogue is something of a necessity, so I can go to the right shelf or the right box to find a volume I need.
    If you're going to get into cataloguing, I'd certainly recommend the software from Collectorz.com. As I enter my dotage, I'm thinking I'll maybe start to get some use from the phone app, which syncs with my master database. With the sheer volume and time span involved, there's an increasing danger I might buy the same book again, particularly if it's a reissue with a different cover, so the ability to check by author and title while standing in the book shop is appealing. But that means I might need to carry my phone around with me more often, which I find a depressing prospect. So not yet a while.

    Grant Hutchison
    Thanks for the information. I also certainly don't intend to carry my phone around any more than is absolutely necessary. Much of my "library" is 1940's or earlier so reissue problems are not likely.

  8. #3848
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Thanks for the information. I also certainly don't intend to carry my phone around any more than is absolutely necessary. Much of my "library" is 1940's or earlier so reissue problems are not likely.
    Ah, electronic cataloguing gets harder for that sort of collection, because of the absence of ISBNs. You need to do what the Victorians did, and hire a struggling young scientist to live in and catalogue by hand.

    Grant Hutchison

  9. #3849
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Ah, electronic cataloguing gets harder for that sort of collection, because of the absence of ISBNs. You need to do what the Victorians did, and hire a struggling young scientist to live in and catalogue by hand.

    Grant Hutchison
    True - but that sounds like the premise for a short story by someone like H. G Wells about the discovery of some "lost dangerous knowledge" like the weight loss recipe in "The Truth About Pyecraft"

  10. #3850
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    True - but that sounds like the premise for a short story by someone like H. G Wells about the discovery of some "lost dangerous knowledge" like the weight loss recipe in "The Truth About Pyecraft"
    You should be safe enough, unless some of your volumes are chained to the shelves, stirring and muttering uneasily at dead of night.

    Grant Hutchison

  11. #3851
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,146
    I've got all of mine (in theory, though I'm behind on it) in a database on my computer that I designed myself.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  12. #3852
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I've got all of mine (in theory, though I'm behind on it) in a database on my computer that I designed myself.
    Showoff

Similar Threads

  1. Re-reading
    By Trebuchet in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 2014-Mar-14, 10:28 AM
  2. What are you not reading?
    By Paul Beardsley in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: 2013-Sep-30, 06:36 PM
  3. What keeps you reading?
    By Paul Beardsley in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 2009-Jun-17, 02:49 PM
  4. Reading Age
    By Sticks in forum Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 2008-May-09, 03:59 PM
  5. Reading computer screen is easy than reading books
    By suntrack2 in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 2006-May-27, 12:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •