Page 1 of 123 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

What are you reading?

This thread was inspired a similar one over the Starship Modeler forum.

Over the past few months I've read Eric Dietz Halo: the Flood, Terry Pratchett's Going Postal, Niven and Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer, and I've started on Carl sagan's Contact.

For school I read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albon, soon we will be starting Night by Elie Wiesel.

I've cut back my reading drastically because I am doing an Open University maths course.

But recently I read The Oxford Murders, which I thought was very clever.

I bought Stardust by Neil Gaiman, but my wife grabbed it before I got a chance to read it. Oh well, it was supposed to be a birthday present for her...

Legacy of Hereot.

Reinventing Gravity. Its awesome.

Mars 3-D, though I'll admit there's a lot of picture viewing involved.

I just finished Jay Barbree's Live from Cape Canaveral: Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today.

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway.

I'm taking a break from my usual fiction fare, and reading On War, by Carl von Clauswitz. It's suprisingly interesting, especially this particular edition, which features an excellent English translation and includes some very illuminating introductions and commentaries.

I'm also working my way slowly but surely through War Plan Orange: the U.S. Strategy to Defeat Japan, 1897-1945.

I'm reading Where the Winds Sleep by Neil Ruzio. It's a "future history" written in the '70s about how the author imagined lunar colonization would progress. Did people back then seriously think that the Earth, Moon, and Mars all formed from the same protoplanet that spun too fast?

Stephen King's Danse Macabre, his history of the horror genre. Because, you see, I watched Freaks this morning, and it's mentioned in it. I haven't read Danse Macabre in a while, and I wanted to go through it again.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Just finished "The thin red line" by James Jones. Reminds me a lot of Catch-22.

Just finished all three of the Science of Discworld books and am now working through Six Easy Pieces which are six of the lectures that Richard Feynman gave to the freshman and sophomore Caltech classes in 1961 and 1962. And still relevant! Waiting in the wings is Terry Pratchett's Nation.

Sojourner - Andy Mishkin
    Roving Mars - Steve Squyres
    Postcards from Mars - Jim Bell

Yeah - I'm researching

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman on the commuting train (some of the stories are interesting, but a Ray Bradbury he is not)
    Rereading Thief of Time at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Stephen King's Danse Macabre, his history of the horror genre. Because, you see, I watched Freaks this morning, and it's mentioned in it. I haven't read Danse Macabre in a while, and I wanted to go through it again.
    Freaks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freaks I have not seen this movie, and after reading about it... I don't know if I should.

Gillianren - What is your impression? What does Stephen King say about it?

Well, for one, I don't think it's major horror. It's creepy and unpleasant in places, but there's very little there that's scary. King is of the opinion that the reason the censors came down so hard on it was that the movie has real circus freaks in it, and I can see no other reason.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/j...49&view=public

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Just finished Moonraker, but that was just to pass time while waiting on the new Malazan Book of the Fallen, Toll the Hounds. I'm hoping it arrives this weekend at my local library!

Just finished Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman!, which serves as my personal bible. Ordered The Forever War, so that should drop down in my mailbox soon enough. Seems pretty interesting.
    I'm also trying to plow through Lovecraft's At the mountains of madness, but I feel his writing style is a few decades too deceased for my taste.

Currently reading Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds and re-reading the Harry Potter books. Haven't been reading nearly as much as usual lately; I'm back in school, plus working full time. Not much time for anything else these days.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I'm reading Where the Winds Sleep by Neil Ruzio. It's a "future history" written in the '70s about how the author imagined lunar colonization would progress. Did people back then seriously think that the Earth, Moon, and Mars all formed from the same protoplanet that spun too fast?
    The short answer is yes. It was one of several theories. It was centered on the Earth and Moon. The Mars formation is a new twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Soon we will be starting Night by Elie Wiesel.
    That book is very powerful, I remember reading it in high school and walking around in a state of shock for the rest of the day.

A biography of Michael Faraday.

Finishing off Black Sunday by Thomas Harris.

I've just finished The Folklore of Discworld, and I'm now re-reading Nineteen-Eighty-Four

Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton.

Currently reading two novels:

Honour Among Thieves by Jeffrey Archer - Saddam Hussein plots to steal the US Declaration of Independence and publicly burn it on July 4th, 1994.

Nimed marmortahvlil by Albert Kivikas - "Names In Marble", a story about a students battalion, set during Estonia's War of Independence 1918 - 20.

I just finished Nemesis by Asimov. Great read.

Now I am halfway through Haldeman's The Accidental Time Machine which I am absolutely over-enjoying.

Timothy Zahn's Outbound Project.

What can I say, I'm a Star Wars geek

Evil Genes: Why Rome Fell, Hitler Rose, Enron Failed, and My Mother Stole My Sister's Boyfriend. It's a pretty good look at the genetic component to mental illness, including certain brands of sociopathy.

"You can't erase icing."

The World Without Us, by Alan Weisman. While the book is nominally about how the earth would change if humans were to disappear, it also discusses how we are trashing the planet. The plastics chapter is rather depressing.

Empire From the Ashes (free online version) by David Weber. An amusing "alternate history" scenario combined with interesting SF. Mutineer's Moon is the first of the three books, and it was mentioned here on BAUT recently. I started reading it and couldn't stop.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice