Page 122 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 3723

Thread: What are you reading?

Victoria: A Life by A.N. Wilson

Finally got to some Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison. No high marks on the SF scale, but they sure are fun light reading.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Finally got to some Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison. No high marks on the SF scale, but they sure are fun light reading.
    I used to like that series a lot. What struck me as odd was the Stainless Steel Rat seems like a Budget Han Solo, without the gun. Then there was a trilogy of Han Solo books that made Han out to be Budget Stainless Steel Rat copy, with a gun. That was confusing.

The second Han Solo trilogy was much better. However, I can't help but note that what Han was doing in the Force Awakens seems more like what he would have been doing in that first series of books.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2017-Apr-29 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Missing an N in Awakens.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Sylvia Earle's memoir Sea Change: A Message of the Oceans. It's taking me a while because of school.

Reading a hardcover of N-Space--that was never checked out--a discard.

Still working on Sherlock Holmes. He was dead, then he wasn't.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Sylvia Earle's memoir Sea Change: A Message of the Oceans. It's taking me a while because of school.
    I finished! Dr. Earle writes very well, and I actually ended up sharing her description of the ecosystems of the Persian Gulf in my Near Eastern Archaeology class.

I finished several books last week. Not all were started this week.

1066 - The Battles of York, Stamford Bridge and Hastings. Informative, but not well done.
    Buying into the Regime. Modern Chilean history. Not a bad read. Lots of economics, politics and crosses over into United States history.
    Hadji Murat. Classic Tolstoy. A quick read... thank god because I had a test on it today.
    The Making of the King: 1066. Again another quick read. Older but well worth it.
    What is to be Done? By Chernyshevsky. Slow and draggy. I didn't like it.

I have started SPQR by Mary Beard. Enjoyable so far but I have only made to the first chapter.

I also started The Legacy of Conquest by Limerick. She has a depreciating style that shows through in the Preface. I also like this one.

I am currently reading The Maze Runner series, and Have just finished the Uglies trilogy. I have also started The Martian.

Inspired by the (excellent) TV adaptations I'm re-reading teh American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

"The Bells of Nagasaki" by Takashi Nagai:

https://www.amazon.com/Bells-Nagasak.../dp/4770018452
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

The Rocket Boys, by Homer Hickham Jr. Now I'm going to have to get the film version, October Sky.

Revenger. Unlikely as it sounds, Alistair Reynolds does space pirates (in a way that makes total sense for his trademark extrapolative world building).

Explorations, Robert Ballard's memoir from 1995. Obviously he's done a lot sincd, but I'd never read the stories of his early struggles in grad school and the Navy before, and it's really inspiring at this point in my life to realize that he didn't have everything figured out at 24, either.

Presently reading " Apprentice " by Jacques Pepin .Nicely written . A very good read for anyone.

Dan

I've been plowing through Team of Rivals, by Doris Kearns Goodwin. I've gotten as far as the Emancipation Proclamation, which was . . . not completely well received in the North.

"In the Senate, Willard Saulsbury of Delaware [admittedly a slave state that stayed in the Union] took to the floor to prevent a vote sustaining the administration on the suspension of habeas corpus. He could hardly keep his footing during a liquor-filled harangue, while he inveighed against the president 'in language fit only for a drunken fishwife,' calling him 'an imbecile' and claiming that he was 'the weakest man ever placed in a high office.' Called to order by Vice President Hamlin, he refused to take his seat. When the sergeant at arms approached to take Saulsbury into custody, he pulled out his revolver. '[Curse] you,' he said, pointing the pistol at the sergeant's head, 'if you touch me I'll shoot you dead.' The wild scene continued for some time before Saulsbury was removed from the Senate floor."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

It's summertime and I like John Ringo so the Kindle is loaded with his "Looking Glass" series. Cool drinks, umbrella set up, and me laid back.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Logistics in the Falklands War, a case study in expeditionary warfare by Kenneth L Privratsky. The author is a retired US Army logistics expert who has studied the logistics of the war with input from the British officers who were there. Explains in detail why logistic problems meant the Galahad was left hanging and why some of the other decisions were made.

Al Franken: Giant of the Senate, by Al Franken; I got an autographed copy the other day!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Al Franken: Giant of the Senate, by Al Franken; I got an autographed copy the other day!
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Autographed in person, or previously?

(I remember Franken from his comedy days. He was also responsible for a series of radio commercials touting the use of radio commercials. "We have drained Lake Superior and filled it with hot chocolate. ... Let me see you do that on television!")
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

After quite a hiatus I'm back to the Pratchett Project, 2nd time through and am just about to finish Moving Pictures. I almost didn't read it again because I didn't remember liking it that much the first time. I decided to go ahead purely because of Gaspode the Wonder Dog. I'm glad I did.

Unfortunately, there may be another hiatus because Amazon just told me there are new books out in two naval historical fiction series I've been following.

gaspode <3

You just gave me a pointer to my next re-read Currently Wyrd Sisters.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Autographed in person, or previously?

(I remember Franken from his comedy days. He was also responsible for a series of radio commercials touting the use of radio commercials. "We have drained Lake Superior and filled it with hot chocolate. ... Let me see you do that on television!")
    Previously, alas. My first memory of him--he says this is pretty common--is when he declared the '80s the decade of him, Al Franken. Why? Because he'd thought of it first. Also the "live remote" he did from the First Gulf War where the joke is that the character died alone and lost in the desert. He acknowledges that maybe, just maybe, his previous career as a satirist has hampered his political career. Apparently a popular tactic by his opponent in his first Senate race was printing his jokes out of context. Though he also mentions a commercial he did with his fourth grade teacher, which I looked up online. My film group finally has an answer to the question, "Does anyone in Minnesota actually talk like the people in Fargo?"

"You can't erase icing."

The Byzantine Art of War by Michael J. Decker, very broad and not much depth, should be twice as long or two books.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    The Byzantine Art of War by Michael J. Decker, very broad and not much depth, should be twice as long or two books.
    Should it be more... Byzantine?

I'm reading Tacitus And Bracciolini, The Annals Forged In The XVth Century.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Explorations, Robert Ballard's memoir from 1995. Obviously he's done a lot since, but I'd never read the stories of his early struggles in grad school and the Navy before, and it's really inspiring at this point in my life to realize that he didn't have everything figured out at 24, either.
    I finished it. I like that the book covered things Ballard's other books (at least the ones I had read) didn't cover in detail, like his years as a young scientist before the Galapagos Rift expedition, raising his children, and the early years of the JASON Project.

Now I've started Tania Aebi's Maiden Voyage.

Solar by Ian McEwan. His The Innocent was the one recommended to me, but that was checked out of the library. Apparently Atonement is a good one of his, too.

Really a good writer. Solar is appropriate for cosmoquest, too, since it's about a Nobel-winning physicist working on artificial photosynthesis as the next alternative energy. McEwan throws in some science, but the main character is kind of neurotic, is breaking up with his 5th wife... I'm not finished yet, wondering what's going to happen....
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Solar by Ian McEwan. His The Innocent was the one recommended to me, but that was checked out of the library. Apparently Atonement is a good one of his, too.

Really a good writer. Solar is appropriate for cosmoquest, too, since it's about a Nobel-winning physicist working on artificial photosynthesis as the next alternative energy. McEwan throws in some science, but the main character is kind of neurotic, is breaking up with his 5th wife... I'm not finished yet, wondering what's going to happen....
    I hope it works out better for him than it did for the inventor in the children's book Top Secret-- he turned himself into a plant-boy (and thereby eliminated his own need to eat), but nobody thought his discovery was useful.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2017-Jun-13 at 03:04 PM.