Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in DIY

Awesome. I'm terrified of table saws and will likely never have one. If I do I will have to invest in SawStop.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

A SawStop table saw will be one of my first purchases after settling into my Oregon home. I had planned on buying the cabinet saw but am wondering if I should make do with the contractor version? I won't have as much woodshop space as I'd like.

I sold my Jet contractor saw this year. It served me well although the thing required frequent trunnion alignment, which is a pain on that model.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    A SawStop table saw will be one of my first purchases after settling into my Oregon home. I had planned on buying the cabinet saw but am wondering if I should make do with the contractor version? I won't have as much woodshop space as I'd like.
    The contractor saw actually has greater overall dimensions thanks to the motor being mounted externally on the back side of the saw. The PCS motor housing is tucked under the left-hand extension wing. Taking the 36" models for instance:
    Contractor: 69 ⅛" w x 45" d x 34 ĺ" h
    Cabinet (PCS): 69 ⅛″ w x 33″ d x 34″ h
    You can see a head-to-head comparison of the Contractor, PCS, and ICS saws here. If space is really tight, going to the 30" PCS model will save about 7" in width but that sacrifices the more robust T-Glide fence.

I sold my Jet contractor saw this year. It served me well although the thing required frequent trunnion alignment, which is a pain on that model.
    I downloaded the PCS user manual the other day and was delighted to read the table adjustment procedure and features. You loosen four bolts to free the table. Movement is constrained by a pivot pin at the front of the table so there's no L-R or F-B shifting. Alignment is accomplished using two adjustment screws. No mallet tapping, re-tapping, or associated cursing. However, if other user experiences hold true for me, I won't have to do that out of the box.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Happy Holidays Mr. Creek.

Just posting to say I fooled myself a moment ago looking at the picture you posted of your hallway. Enough to make me laugh at least.

I was a little disappointed at the amount of dings and smudges in the drywall and base boards as I have a high regard for your craftsmanship. Then I said to myself,

"Wait a second..."

Licked my thumb and made most of the dings and holidays go away on one pass. I actually blushed, I felt so bad for mentally maligning your attention to detail even slightly.

(Good Lord, my monitor is dusty! I can write my name on it!)

But the illusion was better than usual.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    The contractor saw actually has greater overall dimensions thanks to the motor being mounted externally on the back side of the saw. The PCS motor housing is tucked under the left-hand extension wing. Taking the 36" models for instance:
    Contractor: 69 ⅛" w x 45" d x 34 ĺ" h
    Cabinet (PCS): 69 ⅛″ w x 33″ d x 34″ h
    You can see a head-to-head comparison of the Contractor, PCS, and ICS saws here. If space is really tight, going to the 30" PCS model will save about 7" in width but that sacrifices the more robust T-Glide fence.
    Good to know, thanks. I guess I was thinking the extensions only were available with the cabinet saw. I see also that they offer robust mobile bases, which will help out with space.

I see also that they offer robust mobile bases, which will help out with space.
    Yep, Iím in a small space, too and I coudnít get by without it. The FedEx driver left mine at the door yesterday. I opted for the ICS mobile base with the PCS conversion kit.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    "Wait a second..."

Licked my thumb and made most of the dings and holidays go away on one pass. I actually blushed, I felt so bad for mentally maligning your attention to detail even slightly.

(Good Lord, my monitor is dusty! I can write my name on it!)

But the illusion was better than usual.
    Happy holidays to you and yours, Don. Iíve been there and done that with a dirty monitor. Iíve gone as far as trying to Photoshop a dust speck out of an image only to realize it was on the monitor and not the lens.

Got the call from my wood monger this morning: my saw has arrived. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Honey, Iím home! A couple of my coworkers came over to help unload, unpack, and put my saw on the mobile base. Here it is in all its unassembled glory:

Iím going to have a busy day.

About 4 hours later, itís operational:

Iím really glad I got the industrial base. This thing is a beast but with a few pumps of a foot pedal, it rolls around pretty easily.

Now that is something to get at Christmas.

Have you stuck a hot dog in it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Have you stuck a hot dog in it yet?
    Nope. Standard brake cartridge: $70; new blade: $50-160. If I ever have an activation while using a dado stack, itíll come to $300+.

Ooh! I hadn't realized it was a single-use system! Kind of like the airbag in a car, then.

Nope. Standard brake cartridge: $70; new blade: $50-160. If I ever have an activation while using a dado stack, it’ll come to $300+.
    Yeah, but keeping your fingers is priceless.

I wonder if they offer bloggers/Youtuber's free stuff for those videos. That is way better advertising than any commercial. Maybe some of people have a large enough shop to justify having extra kits on hand? Forgive the pun.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Yeah, but keeping your fingers is priceless.

I wonder if they offer bloggers/Youtuber's free stuff for those videos. That is way better advertising than any commercial. Maybe some of people have a large enough shop to justify having extra kits on hand? Forgive the pun.
    Yep, some of the heavy hitters get products for review or as a form of commercial sponsorship. In some videos, youíll even see the company logo in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ooh! I hadn't realized it was a single-use system! Kind of like the airbag in a car, then.
    Yep, kind of a cross between air bags and crumple zones. The video I posted upthread shows the safety cartridge in action. When activation is triggered a spring-loaded aluminum pawl is driven into the blade, stopping it darn near instantly. At the same time, the torque with nowhere else to go is used to drive the blade carriage downward.

The cartridge is destroyed in the process of course and the blade takes a real beating. Even if carbide isnít snapped off a couple of teeth and the blade can be resharpened, flatness is at least suspect and probably not worth having flattened.

I seem to recall a system that would fire a bullet into the blade to stop it's motion. A little too Rube Goldberg for my tastes.
    Solfe

Sorry, wrong thread!
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

About 4 hours later, itís operational:

Iím really glad I got the industrial base. This thing is a beast but with a few pumps of a foot pedal, it rolls around pretty easily.
    It looks much better in the garage than in that promo picture. Have fun!

I’m really glad I got the industrial base. This thing is a beast but with a few pumps of a foot pedal, it rolls around pretty easily.
    Yep, I think the mobile base is a must. Did you consider or are you considering the folding outfeed table?

Yep, I think the mobile base is a must. Did you consider or are you considering the folding outfeed table?
    I did but for the money, I think Iíll build my own. Iíll be ordering the overarm dust collector, though.

I downloaded the PCS user manual the other day and was delighted to read the table adjustment procedure and features. You loosen four bolts to free the table. Movement is constrained by a pivot pin at the front of the table so there's no L-R or F-B shifting. Alignment is accomplished using two adjustment screws. No mallet tapping, re-tapping, or associated cursing. However, if other user experiences hold true for me, I won't have to do that out of the box.
    Update on this point. I put my digital dial indicator on the saw Sunday and found the blade to be out-of-parallel from the miter slot by 0.0045Ē... not bad but I wanted to try out the built in table adjustment screws. Itís just about as easy as it reads in the manual. I was pleased and very surprised to get an average reading of 0.0000Ē (Ī0.001Ē) over eight reference points...and I was done in about 20 minutes.

Update on this point. I put my digital dial indicator on the saw Sunday and found the blade to be out-of-parallel from the miter slot by 0.0045”... not bad but I wanted to try out the built in table adjustment screws. It’s just about as easy as it reads in the manual. I was pleased and very surprised to get an average reading of 0.0000” (Ī0.001”) over eight reference points...and I was done in about 20 minutes.
    Nice. I'm looking forward to getting my saw sometime early next year.

Yep, kind of a cross between air bags and crumple zones. The video I posted upthread shows the safety cartridge in action. When activation is triggered a spring-loaded aluminum pawl is driven into the blade, stopping it darn near instantly. At the same time, the torque with nowhere else to go is used to drive the blade carriage downward.

The cartridge is destroyed in the process of course and the blade takes a real beating. Even if carbide isn’t snapped off a couple of teeth and the blade can be resharpened, flatness is at least suspect and probably not worth having flattened.
    I wonder when — if — radial arm saw and bandsaw equivalents will come out.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Another shiny black accessory arrived on Tuesday: the Sawstop overarm dust collection attachment. It didnít take long to put it together today:

Just seven components, all nicely made. Steel and aluminum parts are powder coated like the saw. The upper arm swings out of the way when needed. Vacuum is provided via a splitter connected to the sawís dust collection port. It looks like more than it actually is in this image because I also have a Rockler Dust Right quick-connect fitting installed.

Dust collection is much improved above the table, even with my anemic collector. I do have my eye on a couple of cyclone collectors for future upgrade.

Very nice dust containment feature!!! I rarely use my saw table (basic Craftsman brand) and wheel it out of the garage into the driveway when I need some cuts. Have many years of creative fun with that one PC!

but am wondering if I should make do with the contractor version? I won't have as much woodshop space as I'd like.
    There are contractor versions of table saws in the sense of "portable" or "jobsite" saws. I like them, but I don't do fine woodworking. On thing to consider about jobsite saws is that many of the nicer jigs and accessories for table saws can't be used. For example, there are attachments that fit to tables saws using strong magnets, but many jobsite saws have tops that are aluminum or plastic. Also the distance between the front edge of the table and the front of the blade may be too small on a jobsite saw to accommodate a jig that fits a cabinet saw.

Quote Originally Posted by tashirosgt View Post
    There are contractor versions of table saws in the sense of "portable" or "jobsite" saws. I like them, but I don't do fine woodworking. On thing to consider about jobsite saws is that many of the nicer jigs and accessories for table saws can't be used. For example, there are attachments that fit to tables saws using strong magnets, but many jobsite saws have tops that are aluminum or plastic. Also the distance between the front edge of the table and the front of the blade may be too small on a jobsite saw to accommodate a jig that fits a cabinet saw.
    Yes, I'm aware of the distinctions between contractor and jobsite. I'm a long-time woodworker. I was specifically referring to the SawStop contractor saw, not contractor saws in general. I plan to buy a SawStop.
    Last edited by geonuc; 2018-Jan-08 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Regarding the contractor model, the overarm system comes with a couple of extra parts: two L-brackets and bolts for mounting the tubing clamps to the rails used for the standard fence option. The tubing clamps mount directly to the the rails used for both the premium and T-glide fence options.

And I just found out something of note while refreshing my memory on the fence options. The contractor saw has table mounted trunnions and based on a few forum posts, it offers pain of adjustment similar to other contractor saws.