Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Adventures in DIY

All brick walls. It's Belgium, we build bunkers instead of mere houses. But if the doorways are made the right size, I can live with the fact it's brick.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2018-Dec-02 at 06:14 PM.

I bought a quick change toolpost for the metal lathe. Turns out it isn't quite as compatible as stated, at all. So I'll have to either modify the new toolpost, or make a custom base plate for it in order to fit onto the cross slide. I'll have to see which option brings it closest to the desired chisel height.

Any approach will not be trivial: it involves a 23-24mm hole and I don't have a 4 jaw chuck to hold square items like the toolpost. But life will find a way.

May you find your 4 jaw chuck, and at the nice price. They are fairly essential, and hard to duplicate by jigging off the face plate. Good luck, and best regards,
    Dan

I wasn't planning on buying a 4 jaw just yet, because I don't have much use for it in any forseeable projects and there is a pretty risk of running into exactly the same "whoops the 4 jaw doesn't really fit on your lathe after all, but you bought it from me so now it's your problem". You can't trust machine dealers any more than car dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Well, it's installed, but not necessarily done.
    I quite like it. Reminds me of a piano profile.

I applied the decal to Krogerís urn box today. I botched the first try yesterday with an irredeemably wrinkled edge. It was the last of two decals I had made, with the first being a trial on scrap. So I printed several more yesterday and sealed them with a few coats of lacquer.

The first try today also didnít go as planned. It was centered L-R just fine but it was a bit high. The second went well:

After it dries overnight, Iíll continue finishing: first with more shellac to smooth the decal edges, then a few final coats of satin lacquer.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

And another DIY project assignment as I was putting the woodshop away for the day.

During the evening of the 7.0M earthquake, a waterline to the garage heater began leaking and fortunately that was the worst of the damage to the house. I loosened the fitting, retightened it, and it looked good-to-go. But it started leaking again after todayís 5.0M aftershock, although not as badly. Still, Iíd had enough and made a trip to the home center for a new line.

I think you all know that Iím pretty slow in the shop but I set myself a goal of one hour to get this done. Between shutting the loop off, disconnecting the line, wet-vaccing the water out of it, cutting it off the copper pipe, sweating the new line on, connecting it, discovering that I didnít have it tightened nearly enough (spray!), and tightening it some more, I just made it.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I quite like it. Reminds me of a piano profile.
    Thanks! One of my friends made the piano comparison too.

The urn is a work of art, a labour of love. Beautiful.

I told myself I wouldn't post about this until the wing is done and fits the fuselage. Also, this might not be the right thread for it, but what the hey, here are the beginnings of my next project:

This will take a while - I can only work on it when I'm really inspired.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	23817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	23818  

I look forward to seeing that come along. C185?

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I look forward to seeing that come along. C185?
    Yes. Drawings from the 1978 A185F operating manual.

I'm happy with the wing, though I still have some detail to work out at the tips and where the fuselage meets the flaps, but other things have to been completed before I return to those.

ETA: I don't think anyone is as slow in the shop as I am.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03_A185F_Model.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	23853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04_A185F_Model.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	23854