Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in DIY

All brick walls. It's Belgium, we build bunkers instead of mere houses. But if the doorways are made the right size, I can live with the fact it's brick.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2018-Dec-02 at 06:14 PM.

I bought a quick change toolpost for the metal lathe. Turns out it isn't quite as compatible as stated, at all. So I'll have to either modify the new toolpost, or make a custom base plate for it in order to fit onto the cross slide. I'll have to see which option brings it closest to the desired chisel height.

Any approach will not be trivial: it involves a 23-24mm hole and I don't have a 4 jaw chuck to hold square items like the toolpost. But life will find a way.

May you find your 4 jaw chuck, and at the nice price. They are fairly essential, and hard to duplicate by jigging off the face plate. Good luck, and best regards,
    Dan

I wasn't planning on buying a 4 jaw just yet, because I don't have much use for it in any forseeable projects and there is a pretty risk of running into exactly the same "whoops the 4 jaw doesn't really fit on your lathe after all, but you bought it from me so now it's your problem". You can't trust machine dealers any more than car dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Well, it's installed, but not necessarily done.
    I quite like it. Reminds me of a piano profile.

I applied the decal to Krogerís urn box today. I botched the first try yesterday with an irredeemably wrinkled edge. It was the last of two decals I had made, with the first being a trial on scrap. So I printed several more yesterday and sealed them with a few coats of lacquer.

The first try today also didnít go as planned. It was centered L-R just fine but it was a bit high. The second went well:

After it dries overnight, Iíll continue finishing: first with more shellac to smooth the decal edges, then a few final coats of satin lacquer.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

And another DIY project assignment as I was putting the woodshop away for the day.

During the evening of the 7.0M earthquake, a waterline to the garage heater began leaking and fortunately that was the worst of the damage to the house. I loosened the fitting, retightened it, and it looked good-to-go. But it started leaking again after todayís 5.0M aftershock, although not as badly. Still, Iíd had enough and made a trip to the home center for a new line.

I think you all know that Iím pretty slow in the shop but I set myself a goal of one hour to get this done. Between shutting the loop off, disconnecting the line, wet-vaccing the water out of it, cutting it off the copper pipe, sweating the new line on, connecting it, discovering that I didnít have it tightened nearly enough (spray!), and tightening it some more, I just made it.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I quite like it. Reminds me of a piano profile.
    Thanks! One of my friends made the piano comparison too.

The urn is a work of art, a labour of love. Beautiful.

I told myself I wouldn't post about this until the wing is done and fits the fuselage. Also, this might not be the right thread for it, but what the hey, here are the beginnings of my next project:

This will take a while - I can only work on it when I'm really inspired.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	23817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	23818  

I look forward to seeing that come along. C185?

I look forward to seeing that come along. C185?
    Yes. Drawings from the 1978 A185F operating manual.

I'm happy with the wing, though I still have some detail to work out at the tips and where the fuselage meets the flaps, but other things have to been completed before I return to those.

ETA: I don't think anyone is as slow in the shop as I am.

Name:	03_A185F_Model.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	23853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04_A185F_Model.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	23854  

Hi Nicholas, I tinker with my atlas lathe, received from my Father. If I were looking for a 4 jaw, and wanted to be sure it would fit my lathe, I might take a simple cast of the threaded mounting bore of my existing 3 jaw chuck, employing body filler and a liberal coating of marvel mystery oil.
    Maybe lay down a flat circle of Playdough , or modeling clay, and place the chuck on top ( the clay will
    dam up the bottom of the bore) and then,with the bore already oiled for a mold release, mix up and pour the body filler (just pure body filler with catalyst ,no chopped fiberglass) . Alternative: stop up the outside bore hole, and pour from the back. Probably easier. You need to move fast as this stuff sets up quick once mixed. You can place a stick of wood into the filler once it is poured so that you can spin the
    casting out of the chuck. If you have a face plate, that will work easier. The face plate is just a simple threaded bore hole. This should give you a model of your lathe arbor thread which you can take with you. If you meet up with a good tool maker, he may have an easier solution for you, but I think this would work ok. Also, make sure you know the dimension of the swing of your lathe. Can't put a 12" jaw on a 10 inch swing lathe
    Good luck with your lathe.
    Dan

Oh I know exactly which dimensions I need, it's just that they no longer make them that size. Which is weird as while it is a rare size, it is used on one particular Chinese model lathe sold in the zillions. So I'd have to buy a suitably sized 4 jaw and try to fab a back plate adapter myself. But the precision required in doing that is quite high.

Adventures in DIY

Krogerís urn box is finally complete. I would have finished this weekend but being furloughed allowed me to get to it a little early. To recap, this is curly maple, American black cherry, and Pau Ferro...aka, Morado or Bolivian Rosewood. The graphic is an inkjet-printed water-slide decal. Sealed and leveled with spray shellac. Finish coats were Deft satin lacquer.

Kroger’s urn box is finally complete. I would have finished this weekend but being furloughed allowed me to get to it a little early. To recap, this is curly maple, American black cherry, and Pau Ferro...aka, Morado or Bolivian Rosewood. The graphic is an inkjet-printed water-slide decal. Sealed and leveled with spray shellac. Finish coats were Deft satin lacquer.
    Looks great, a work of real craftsmanship and love.

That's lovely, Brett. A lot of skill and heart there.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Looks great, a work of real craftsmanship and love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's lovely, Brett. A lot of skill and heart there.
    Even the detail on the underside - the finish there, the countersunk screws, looks perfect.

No substantial progress on the model in the last week due to company and other distractions.

The empennage. The control surfaces are presently outlined with knife cuts, but I may use a fine rotary tool bit to deepen and square their profile so that they appear more clearly from different angles and lighting.

Name:	06_A185F_Model.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	23882  

Man, I wouldnít trust myself to make an unwavering straight line of uniform depth with a Dremel bit. Excel makes a fine 1/32Ē kerf saw blade that fits an X-Acto handle that I could use with a straight edge.

Man, I wouldnít trust myself to make an unwavering straight line of uniform depth with a Dremel bit. Excel makes a fine 1/32Ē kerf saw blade that fits an X-Acto handle that I could use with a straight edge.
    I'd tried some practice runs on scrap, using a guide, and wasn't impressed with the result. It's not that it wasn't straight, but the bit I have isn't the right choice for wood, and the appearance of the channel varied with the grain angle and also at the latewood/earlywood transitions. I thought I'd look for a different bit, so it never even dawned on me that a blade as you describe might be the right choice. I think I'll be looking for that tool now!

I bumble my way through a lot of my projects and would surely benefit from joining a woodworking forum, but I'm reluctant. So I really appreciate the feedback I get here.

Adventures in DIY

That was just the first thing that came to mind. Let me know how that works out for you.

I had an eventful weekend in the shop, to say the least.

I recently ordered the Incra iBox jig and put it together Saturday.

And now for the boneheaded genius move. I confirmed that the SawStop safety feature works. I went through the instructions to set it up for a test cut...but I very slightly misadjusted one of the aluminum material supports. The blade barely nicked it and promptly disappeared with a flash and a loud thud. As if that wasnít bad enough, I had installed a brand new Forrest finger joint blade set. Iíll have to send it in for repair.

But I got it all set up today and started making urn boxes for our cats that have departed over the past few years, plus one more to keep on hand for our remaining cat.

The jig is a real treat to use. I can set it for any finger width and tweak them down to 0.001 inches.

Bummer. That's an expensive way to test a safety feature!

Yeah, it hurts just reading about it.

Adventures in DIY

Yep. It stung a little. At least four teeth toasted and I suspect one if not both are out-of-flat but I havenít put a dial on them.

Shame, too. It was a beautifully sharpened set. I nicked a finger just taking them out of the carrier. These were two out of a set of four though, so I was able to press on with the 1/4-3/8Ē set. These are my first Forrest blades and I have to say...aside from the foul up...that Iím tickled with them. Paired with the precision of the Incra jig, the results are very gratifying.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2019-Jan-01 at 10:53 PM.

Speaking of jigs, what do you use for dovetails, if any? I have the Leigh jig and find it frustrating to master, although I admit I haven't spent enough time with it. It sounds as if this Incra boxtail jig is easier to use right out the box (no pun intended).

I've had the Porter Cable DT jig for quite some time but haven't yet had occasion to take it out of the box. What I really want/need to do is dedicate more time to acquiring manual DT skills. But I have kitchen/bath drawers in my future, so I'll need the jig as well.

The iBox jig does indeed have a pretty short learning curve. You could go from out-of-the-box to first-test-joint within about an hour without rushing. If you don't do what I did, that is. Even so, I started the next morning with a 4/4 S3S board and had four dry-fitted box bodies by mid-afternoon.

Adventures in DIY

A nice day in the shop today. I cut slots in the box sides for the sliding lids and planed the stock for the lids. I also milled and cut the bottoms to rough size.

Each box gets a lid of a different exotic species of hardwood. Left to right, they are: canary wood, lace wood, zebra wood, and wenge.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2019-Jan-04 at 05:36 AM.

Screw the names of the woods, what were the names of the pets?

Is the first picture from Sketchup or something? Looks computerized, somehow.

Oh, and did you have a spare Sawstop cartridge to put in? Or can you re-use that one, it doesn't look too bad.

As for my DIY skills, I put up a wire shelf thing in the garage yesterday. It's pretty much within an inch of being level throughout....

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Screw the names of the woods, what were the names of the pets?
    In order of earliest passing they were Rufus, Pippin, and Abigail, whose brother Jackson is still kicking.

Is the first picture from Sketchup or something? Looks computerized, somehow.
    Yep, itís SketchuUp. Included to show the destination.

Oh, and did you have a spare Sawstop cartridge to put in? Or can you re-use that one, it doesn't look too bad.
    Nope. Even if the firing mechanism wasnít a one-shot deal, the pawl took a beating from absorbing the energy of taking a sharp blade set from 3450 RPM to zero in milliseconds. The blade and brake were stuck together and took a bit of work to get out and apart.

But shortly after getting the saw, I bought spares of both the 10Ē standard and 8Ē dado cartridges. The latter is what tripped. I need to buy a new spare, now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow!

Adventures in DIY

Correction: it turns out the lacewood was misidentified at the wood monger. Itís actually leopardwood.

Having received a new 1/8Ē spiral bit on Friday, I milled the slots in the sides to accommodate the bottoms. I trimmed the bottoms to final size, and cut a rabbet on all edges to fit the slots. Then I started to glue them up.

Things went poorly for the first one. I glued one side in upside down and didnít notice until the glue had set past the point of no return. Scratch one box. Jacksonís will have to come later. The remaining three went well. However, the next time I make finger jointed boxes, I think Iíll use liquid hide glue for the extra open time. I felt a bit harried trying to get glue on all the mating surfaces before it set too much. Next: milling the lids.