Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in DIY

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Really nice work. And it touched me a bit - I had a great furfriend named Spike. I miss her.
    Thanks again. Spike is a great looking girl. Love the name on a female cat.

And here’s just one more picture...because this project is done.

Between yesterday and this morning, I put on 4 coats of satin lacquer, lightly sanded between coats with 320g paper. Lastly, I rubbed in a coat of wax with 0000 steel wool and buffed it to a soft shine. This lady was devoted to her dog and I figured she would pet the box on occasion, so I wanted it to be pet-able.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Thanks again. Spike is a great looking girl. Love the name on a female cat.

And here’s just one more picture...because this project is done.

Between yesterday and this morning, I put on 4 coats of satin lacquer, lightly sanded between coats with 320g paper. Lastly, I rubbed in a coat of wax with 0000 steel wool and buffed it to a soft shine. This lady was devoted to her dog and I figured she would pet the box on occasion, so I wanted it to be pet-able.
    That looks really nice - it touched me a bit because my dog was also born in 2006 - and while happy and still enjoying life is on heart, kidney etc tablets.

Actually, I would be happy to be interred in that container myself. ( Happier if it happened a long time in the future of course.)

That's beautiful Brett.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Adventures in DIY

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That's beautiful Brett.
    Sorry for the late reply but thanks!

Today’s “woodworking” was of the rough variety. We’re preparing to have our well pump replaced and one of the required chores was to remove some trees near the wellhead. Last weekend, I took out a small clump of alders and today, I felled a stinkin’ cottonwood...not that it’ll make a difference to the fluff storm we’re having.

It was about 65 feet tall and 12 inches at the base. It doesn’t look so bit in a pile of pieces.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Since we need to replace our well pump, I won't be able to buy the new dust collector I've had my eye on. So instead, I decided to upgrade the existing DC, which is a 1hp Shop Fox W1727:
    And here's the vision: replace the filter bag with a more efficient canister filter, add a Super Dust Deputy separator, and build a new base to hold it all.

I started phase 1 today: adapting a canister filter to replace the old filter bag. I made a cap for the open-topped canister, then a 'donut' on which the new filter will rest. A threaded rod will retain the filter and cap. The donut is just temporarily fitted right now. It needs to be caulked and screwed in place.

What are the filtration specs on the canister vs the original bag filter?

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I saw a nice dust collector a while back, it was recirculating water arranged as a water fall down a chain, full height and with a cartridge water filter in the pump line. The water tends to keep cool with evaporation and that encourages a downdraught which pulls in the dust laden air. The water catches the dust and volatile smells too.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    What are the filtration specs on the canister vs the original bag filter?
    The manufacturer rated the bag filter at 2.5 μm particulate size, with no rating for efficiency provided. I haven't seen a published spec for filter area but my guess is roughly 25 ft² (2.3 m²).

The new filter area is 254 ft² (23.6 m²) and is rated at MERV 13: <75% 0.3–1.0 μm, ≥90% 1.0–3.0 μm, ≥85% 3.0–10.0 μm.

Cyclone separator feeding the barrel at the bottom right of the sketchup?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Cyclone separator feeding the barrel at the bottom right of the sketchup?
    Yep. The cyclone (.pdf) is made by the same folks as the smaller one I outfitted my shop vac with, up-thread.

Since we need to replace our well pump [...] The donut is just temporarily fitted right now. It needs to be caulked and screwed in place.
    A minor update or two:

I took the day off today for the well pump replacement. It went well, with no surprises...with replacement itself, that is. As he was wrapping things up, though, the well guy forgot to retract an outrigger on his hoist truck before pulling his truck forward away from the well head. The well head is on a bit of a down-slope, so the outrigger caught on the ground, bending it pretty severely. He then coudn’t retract it and couldn’t pull any farther forward, much less drive back to the shop even though it’s only a mile or so away. He tried straightening it by backing up against the stump of a tree I’d cut near the well head. No dice. He wound up chopping the outrigger off with a cutoff wheel.

I used some of my time off to work on the dust collector a bit. Instead of caulking the donut in place, I used some thick weatherstripping foam tape that’s essentially airtight when 80% compressed. I laid in a ring of it on the orifice pan, clamped the donut down, and secured it with several screws through the tub side wall.

I also got around to something I’d been meaning to do for a while. I wrapped some thinner, wider weatherstripping tape around the outside bottom of the tub where the dust bag clamp is secured. It seals much better now.

For a quick test, I dumped a few handfuls of dust from the bag on the floor and cranked up the collector. Man, this thing sucks more than it ever has. With about 10 times the filter area now, it looks like the main limiting factors are horsepower and impeller size.

After getting some house chores done this morning, I spent some time in the shop getting a little more work done on my dust collector mod. I glued up the caster base, cut the side panels, clamped them together, and smoothed the curves. Adult beverage time.

I spent a fair bit of time in the shop this weekend. Saturday, I set my layout lines for the remaining plywood pieces and made the straight cuts at the table saw. Sunday, I did all the bandsaw work on the curved lines. I gave those an initial smoothing and rounded over all the edges I could. I also did some more work on the caster base, including trying out a new corner radius jig at the router table.

Next, I’ll fill and sand the edges, prefinish what I can, and work on assembly.

Man, this thing sucks more than it ever has.
    This is description of nearly every DIY task I take on.

Never worked a vacuum. It's possible it would not suck.
    Solfe

Apparently, I plan on upscaling my DIY a lot. For starters, I've upscaled the spendings a lot. Next would be to actually do something with them...

Recently I have bought a wood lathe (cheap, second hand but literally never used), and now I bought a metal lathe and metal mill. First tasks will be, you guessed it, make some tools for those very machines. Especially making an internal threading tool so I can make a backing plate on the metal lathe to use on the wood lathe. It needs an M18 internal thread, taps for which are very expensive. And there is no sport in buying an internal threading chisel, so I'll construct one myself.

The lathe is a run-of-the-mill (<-- yeah, he did it!) but very useful "what brand do you want on it" Chinese model with crossfeed and thread cutting, but the mill is quite something else. A beautiful piece of last-century industrial design. It's brandless, as it was made by a machine factory for use in their fine mechanics hall. As such, originally it didn't have its own motor but was run from the factory drive shaft. Now, it's powered by an electric drill which is fine by me as I only have standard sockets in my workshop. In any case, for a bench drill that thing is sweet. Really sweet. No competition in its class, true industrial grade. I don't have pictures as I have neither camera nor smartphone.

After it spending a week in my car, I got a second person here to wrestle the lathe onto the bench. Succeeded! First upcoming task: reinforce the bench. It's bending under the weight of the mill and especially the lathe (120kg), taking things far from level. After that's done, I'll have to make 2 wooden supports to go under the drip tray of the lathe. The drip tray is sheet metal, and where the lathe feet stand on it, it doesn't touch the bench. Needless to say this isn't very stable. Biggest challenge: both pieces of wood need to be a different height due to the incline made into the tray. But with a reinforced, level bench and the lathe bolted into it with solid material all the way between it, things are bound to be much more stable.

Meanwhile, I'm also still finishing the electricity in the workshop. Previous owner had half finished the building when I bought it. For some reason, they cabled all wall sockets in star to the fuse box instead of a lasso layout. As a result, I've got tons of cables coming at the fuse box and need three junction boxes to wire essentially a very limited layout. Sigh. And I've run out of Wago clamps, evidently.

A man can never have too many clamps! Or are "Wago Clamps" something electrical? Off to Google!

And since you've found a second person to help, perhaps they have a phone or camera?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

18. 2018-Aug-20, 02:45 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate

… Next, I’ll fill and sand the edges, prefinish what I can, and work on assembly.

Nice! I can't help but notice the "outfeed acreage" being used in that photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    And since you've found a second person to help, perhaps they have a phone or camera?
    Yes, pics!

I can ask the wife to use her fancyphone, some day. Perhaps wait a week or so until I have finished the lighting (Wago clamps are electrical stuff), so you can see what it's about.

Meanwhile I've leveled out the workbench part where the lathe is located, and nearly the part where the mill is located. The floor isn't level, so I'll have to put something under the bench on one end. Not that'd be the end of it; there's still the thing with the drip tray being inclined to solve. For instance: how am I going to lift one end of the lathe to get a mounting block underneath? No inspiration how to tackle that one at the moment...Something something crowbar wood perhaps.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2018-Aug-21 at 08:12 AM.

I've got the lighting up and running. And with my Hulklike strength, I've been able to put pieces of wood below the lathe feet. It's nice and level now. The wood isn't positioned very aesthetically underneath the lathe as it was very difficult to get it underneath at all, but nobody can see it (drip tray is above it) and it's positioned sufficiently close that I can do what I intended: drill holes through the wood and the bench, and bolt lathe+wood+bench together using threaded rods. I'm halfway through that process now. The lathe is now so stable that any movement of the lathe simply is movement of the bench. I can live with that. Even i the wood would only be just a little bit beneath the bed feet, it still would be tons better for the bed than the default where the entire lathe was suspended on the sheet metal that is the drip tray.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2018-Aug-21 at 09:57 PM.

I wasn't happy with the way the wood was under the lathe, so with my Herculean strength I lifted the lathe to remove the pieces of wood and placed 1 continuous plank underneath. The lathe is all bolted up and leveled now. Leveling a lathe doesn't mean you set it according to the gravity vector. Actually, mine is clearly off when you measure it. What needs to be level is the bed relative to itself when you compare one end to the other in X and Y direction. No problem if there's an inclination, as long as it's the same everywhere. In other words, you don't want any bending or torsion in the bed.

Those wondering if inclination relative to the gravity vector indeed isn't a problem: precision lathes are installed on ships...

Adventures in DIY

Next, I’ll fill and sand the edges, prefinish what I can, and work on assembly.
    Progress has been slow thanks to various distractions but I now have the base painted and the chassis mostly assembled.

I painted the base with Krylon “hammered” spray paint in black to give it a textured, industrial look. The chassis will get the same paint but in a bronze color. I haven’t yet decided if I’m going to paint the dust collector body or leave it the current cream color.

The chassis is glued and pocket-screwed. Once the paint on the base has cured completely, I’ll set the chassis and dust separator in place to dial in where to mount the cone support. A complication with that is that cones are round in cross section, right? Not this one. It’s oval...ish. I may gently take the heat gun to it and try to coax it into shape but worse come to worse, I’ll line the cone support with thick foam tape.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2018-Sep-10 at 01:10 AM.

My google fu is failing me today. I have a bar in the basement and all it lacks is a sink. Plumbing water to the area is no problem, but a traditional drain would be a monster of a DIY task. I wouldn't even consider doing it myself.

I was wondering if there was some sort of pump to drain grey water across a large space that would be appropriately applicable. I am sure I could just use a slop pump to do it, but that is the wrong way. Does does such a device exist? I'm sure I need to get this inspected and permitted and all of the other good stuff, but if I knew the proper name of what I want, that would be the first step.
    Solfe

Sump pump? Or maybe something from the RV industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Sump pump? Or maybe something from the RV industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks! With your phrasing, I actually found this video on exactly what I want. Now to see if that is cool with local codes. It seems so simple... there has to be a reason it wasn't done in the past. I suspect code issues. Can't find out without asking.
    Solfe

Finally, some tangible progress with the tedious finishing process. I put the last coat of paint on the new dust collector chassis:

The “hammered” spray paint (dark bronze, here) was kind of tricky to apply. It likes a moderately heavy and very wet coat to develop the texture, rather than several thin coats as recommended for other sprays. I made that mistake with the caster base, so it came out with more of a fine orange peal texture but that’s okay. I also installed the casters on the base...cuz that’s how I roll.

After the paint fully cures, I’ll mount it to the base and begin installing the electrical accessories.

So, autumn is here. In less than a month the motorcycle will be put away for the winter, and I'll contemplate some woodworking project. As I mentioned somewhere upthread, my lack of a dust collection system is a real drag on my getting started. But I think I may have found the inspiration for the next project in Brett's most recent posts. Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    So, autumn is here. In less than a month the motorcycle will be put away for the winter, and I'll contemplate some woodworking project. As I mentioned somewhere upthread, my lack of a dust collection system is a real drag on my getting started. But I think I may have found the inspiration for the next project in Brett's most recent posts. Nicely done!
    Indeed. Without a good system, I'd not have attempted most of the projects I have. Along with a two-stage collector similar to what Brett is building (which along with direct suction on various machines as they operate, can double as an excellent shop vac), I use an overhead general area filter.

I have the added challenge of having metalworking on one half of the workshop, and woodworking on the other half. You don't want wood dust on metal working equipment, and metal or grinding dust on neither. I'm not sure yet how to tackle it, but especially on the woodworking side I could use some kind of dust collection system. On the metal working side all nice equipment has a cover, the grinders are behind a small wall and next to a door so some compressed airflow should eliminate that issue.

My first metal lathe project is, as always, making something for the lathe. In this case: I was very lucky to find 1 shop on this entire planet that sells a collet chuck with the correct diameter and hole pitch for my lathe. However, it's for M10 bolts and the holes in the lathe's backing plate are only 9mm. My first idea was to bore out the backing plate, but rather than messing about with the lathe itself, I'll take some M10 rod, reduce the diameter on one end and tap M8 on it. That way, I can stick the rod through the existing 9mm holes and bolt them onto the backing plate with nuts on both sides.