Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in DIY

Another update: after building and finishing the tub surround panels over the last week or so, I installed them on Saturday. This means the tub is officially done.

I also finished installing the base molding throughout. That leaves trim painting to be done. After that, we're down to decor: a couple of shelves, some art, etc.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

That looks great; I love the black panels.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    This means the tub is officially done.
    Looks great. Enjoy!

Question: I noticed what looked like spacers between the tub and the tile in one of your earlier photos. I had a tub like that installed in one of my earlier homes, but I have only a vague recollection of details about it and the tiling of the surrounding deck. As I recall, the tub was installed first and the tile followed, with a silicone bead where they meet. Is that tub supported from below, with grout or silicone in that gap?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That looks great; I love the black panels.
    Yep, black can look sharp in the right bathroom...but these aren't black. It's a much-darker-than-intended shade of Bombay mahogany over a base color of traditional walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Question: I noticed what looked like spacers between the tub and the tile in one of your earlier photos. I had a tub like that installed in one of my earlier homes, but I have only a vague recollection of details about it and the tiling of the surrounding deck. As I recall, the tub was installed first and the tile followed, with a silicone bead where they meet. Is that tub supported from below, with grout or silicone in that gap?
    The tub is set in a mortar bed that fully supports the bottom. The model was actually designed to sit directly on the floor without additional support but I like the rock solid feel underfoot. The spacers were there to maintain the required rim gap, until the mortar set. It sports a glossy bead of silicone caulk, now.

I understand a lot of installers install the tub before tiling the surround but pros like that have their tile and mortar bed thickness dialed in, I'm sure. For me, it would have been demoralizing in the extreme to have set the tub only to discover I didn't have enough space for tile. Besides, it was easier to set and grout the surround without a tub in the way.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Aha, that makes sense to do it that way, and a good thing to note for a future project.

I think the one I mentioned had the tub installed first partly because of the logistics of scheduling the different tradesmen. We had a general contractor take care of those details.

About a decade ago, I got bored in my home in Florida and set out to redo my bathroom, as I do enjoy a nice, long soak. I gutted everything, tapped the pipes in the wall, installed a pre-formed concrete panel box for my tub/shower combo, tiled down to below where the edge of the tub would hit the walls, then tiled the floor, complete with drain (bottom floor with crawl space made that bit of plumbing fairly easy).

That took a couple of weeks. It took me another six months to finish doing the sinks and cabinets! I was using both bathrooms for a while...

New Project Update

Since we're calling the master bath project done...except for the decor...we've started a new project: the laundry room. At least this one isn't nearly as grand in scope as the bath. We're going to paint the walls, and refinish the cabinetry, with the latter entailing the fabrication of new cabinet doors. The current doors are cope and stick with plain panels. The Wife® likes beadboard, so there we go.

I haven't snapped any "before" pics of the laundry room but here are a couple of the new doors all glued up:

Attachment 16813

You know, if you are running out of DIY projects, you could come on over to my house. I'll even pay for the beer.

You know, if you are running out of DIY projects, you could come on over to my house. I'll even pay for the beer.
    I was thinking the same thing! I managed to fix the leaking shower, but now I need to replace some of the wall that was damaged by water before we detected the leak. There's also a leak in the flashing (I think) of my chimney, which lead to water damaged plaster inside. So those will be my next projects. The plaster one should be *real* fun . . .

Heck; throw me in on that if he's coming to Ohio. I've got enough that I don't want to take the time to list them.

After a long run of weekends with rainy and/or windy weather, on Saturday, I finally had a short window of opportunity to start priming the cabinet doors:

Click to enlarge.

I have to say I was impressed with the new HVLP (high volume, low pressure) paint sprayer. I got two coats of primer on before the weather started getting drizzly in the afternoon. That weather carried on into Sunday, so I tackled the replacement of the back door in our laundry room. The special order arrived last weekend, to replace the plain, industrial-looking steel door.

Click to enlarge.

I still need to finish the foam insulation but the trim will wait until the walls are painted. The view of the wood shed is nothing to write home about but the new door brings in a bit more light and allows for some cross ventilation through the adjoining kitchen.

You painted over red oak? Why I oughta! At least the oak is for the frame. Should stay nice and straight for a long time!

The national museum of arts in Ottawa installed solid oak for the baseboards many moons ago. I watched the work being done and thinking, that will look good with a little stain. Three weeks later, they had all been painted black.

I wish I could reach my hand into the budget for that project. What a disgrace to use oak for something as silly as baseboards, and then paint it black.

Brett, what is that electrical box with a red light on the left?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinAce View Post
    You painted over red oak? Why I oughta!
    If it were white oak, I'd certainly share the sentiment. But this was plain old home center dimensional stuff and I only bought it because I couldn't find two straight sticks of poplar to rub together. Rather than run around, I just said to heck with it and bought the oak. The cabinets are oak (and oak ply) so it makes sense in a way, even if they're being repainted to cover that 80s-licious "golden oak" color.

When I tackle the pantry cabinets, I'm off to the hardwood dealer for some 4/4 or 5/4 poplar so I can do it right(er).

Looking good Brett! No current DIY adventures for myself, but a heck'of'a HSEtDI (Hire someone else to do it.) When I took my shower yesterday before work, I noticed that the water pressure was low. I could hear water running when I went downstairs to take clothes out of the dryer, but when I checked all the fixtures, everything was closed. Stupidly thought, "Huh . . . I guess the water heater tank is filling up."

When Tara texted me 20 min after I got to work with a comment about the water pressure being low, I thought I better have her go check things more thoroughly. Had her shut off the main valve, still water running. Also found out that our sump well was overflowing and water was coming in the basement. Yep, a main line break outside the house.

Thanks to a handful of new building codes and the fact that the old water line was buried directly beneath the gas line (meaning has to be hand-dug out) we quickly find ourselves nearly $3,000 poorer. So that was a nice way to start the week . . .

That stinks Fazor

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    ...that 80s-licious "golden oak" color.
    There is so much of that in my place - all the cabinets in the bathrooms and kitchen, my dining table, the coffee table, end tables, and bookcases I built many years ago. Maybe that's why this place has such a tired look. The beige walls don't help either.

Meanwhile, I've just finishing another bathroom reno at another house. It was much simpler than the last one, but I still ended up moving walls so that the shower I replaced didn't half cover the window the way the old one did. Sheesh.

Fazor, I feel your pain.

Ah.... shedding some light on the subject

I'm turning the attic -which was never finished after the house was built 40 years ago- into a music studio. When that is finished, my current music studio will become the bedroom, the current bedroom will become a dressing, sigh...a lot of DIY to do.

I'm going to try cutting the wooden floor with powertools tonight, because I've had about enough of the hand saw.

Study up on using that attic. Make sure you understand ventillation and your insullation schedule very well, or it will be too hot up there to do anything, and the roof will rot. $$$$$ . Precautionary research will serve you well.

Dan

It stinks Fraser.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I was about to post a DIY update in another thread and realized that I haven't kept this moribund puppy up to date since finishing the master bath remodel.

During last October's furlough of Federal employees, I had the opportunity to make significant progress on the master bedroom and since then, I've finished it.

Before:

Then it was very orange:

Then it was done:

I skipped a few steps, of course...such as humping heavy boxes of big honkin' tiles upstairs, then humping heavy buckets of thinset upstairs, then humping buckets of grout and water upstairs, then...well...you get the picture.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2015-Feb-21 at 12:09 AM. Reason: minor corrections

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Nice!

For our next project, I started remodeling the staircase. Once again, I completely neglected to take decent "before" photos but I did find a snapshot (1) that gives you an idea of what we had before:

(1)

The project goal was to get rid of the carpet and that flower-boxy looking thing and the half-wall it sat on in favor of wider steps with oak treads and accouterments. To start, I: (2) ripped out the carpet, padding, and about 1738 staples; (3) removed the old stairs and roughed in the new stringers and temporary treads; (4) reframed the closet; and (5) demo'ed and roughed in the lower stairs.

(2) (3) (4) (5)

Then after installing a temporary handrail, then hanging and texturing the drywall, I got to put some paint on the walls (6): "La Fonda Sombrero" (orange) and "Hopsack" (beige). Next, is where a headache came in. Under the carpet, I had found a particle board underlayment glued and stapled in place. Unsuitable for tile, I could have tried to chisel, pry, and grind the underlayment away but instead, I tore it out with the subfloor. While they were exposed, I reinforced the joists, then glued and screwed in a new, squeak-free subfloor. I had some Ditra underlayment left over from the master bedroom tile job that quickly went down under almost three boxes of very reasonably priced Daltile wood-look porcelain plank tiles (7). I've also cut, primed, and painted the risers to match the trim color used in the MBR ("Cream in My Coffee"). I've installed risers on the lower stairs (8) and that's where they stand now. To the left of the stairs, you can see a small doorway into the closet created for one of our cats, Abigail (1). She has a fascination with the closet and used to demand that we open the door for her. She also got shut in for the day a few times. Now she can come and go as she pleases.

(6) (7) (8)

We have the treads on hand for most of the lower stairs but have longer treads on order for the uppers and the first lower step. We didn't want a stock newel post but the one we found with our stair parts vendor is about $300 so I opted to make one myself from a stack of red oak I ripped and planed (9). I've assembled the basic post (10) and I've started working on the newel cap.

(9) (10)

More to come as progress is made...

I envy your skills. Care to come south and build me a better catapult?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

You remodeled your cat?!?

Oh, you mean the stairs in back of the cat. Oh well, that's completely different.... never mind.

Oh, you mean the stairs in back of the cat. Oh well, that's completely different.... never mind.
    On the plus side, the cat is now 100% Italian marble.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I envy your skills. Care to come south and build me a better catapult?
    The idea does intrigue me. We could build a pumpkin pushin' show piece.

Nah, she just needs an attitude adjustment, not a complete refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    On the plus side, the cat is now 100% Italian marble.
    She's a marble or two shy of 100%.

Dang! I completely missed the cat. Maine Coon?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

...or a mix thereof. We rescued her and her brother.

What is that rectangular hole in the wall on the bottom left in #8? Cat access portal?