Page 197 of 213 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,910 of 6386

Thread: Your current weather?

I assume a "snowbird" is what we call "grey nomads" here. Retired people, currently mostly "baby boomers", who change location to avoid winter. Usually in camper vans or caravans. In Western Australia they head north, above the Tropic of Capricorn - to avoid our fearful winters in Perth. After all, in the last 130 years the temperature has dropped below 0 C a couple of times and once even fell to - 0.7 C.

Yes, that is essentially our definition of a "snowbird", although at one time it apparently referred to workers in the northern US who moved south for work in the winter months. Unlike the "grey nomads", who stay within Australia, Canadian snowbirds generally spend their winter in another country - USA. They need to be aware of how long they stay, otherwise immigration and taxation issues arise.

Not long after we got our current home (which was a second home at the time) we met some new neighbors who were reverse snowbirds: They lived in Arizona but bought a summer home here to avoid the heat. That year we had one of THOSE summers: constant gray and drizzle. The house was back on the market by September.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Up to -6 C today and going get warmer tomorrow but there is going to snow coming too.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Got 30F ,wind 2kts, 8 to 10 inches of snow forecast with some 60 kts of wind behind it.
    That should generate some classic snow drifts. In a big way.

My very current weather is snowing @ 30F and falling. Our previous prediction of a dusting has been ugraded to 4-6". On the coast it's blizzard conditions with a foot of snow expected by morning. No melting likely until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Yes, that is essentially our definition of a "snowbird", although at one time it apparently referred to workers in the northern US who moved south for work in the winter months. Unlike the "grey nomads", who stay within Australia, Canadian snowbirds generally spend their winter in another country - USA. They need to be aware of how long they stay, otherwise immigration and taxation issues arise.
    Thanks for the info.

It is snowing out, the garbage has been collected and the can is in and there is the smell of fresh baking in the house.

well there is a no travel advisory from here to Moncton on the other side of the province and there have been times I can't see the neighbors house.

28 F and heavy snow. 12 to 16 " expected. Nantucket had cat 1 hurricane winds. Here, 40 kts + .

No golf today.

Brutally cold and windy here, with low 20s headed for single digits F, and wind gusts up to 40 mph. We got a dusting of snow from the storm that gobsmacked the Delmarva region and is probably the same one headed for danscope's territory. It has been an almost interrupted hard freeze for the past week with another three days expected before a thaw on Monday.

So far we got about 30 cm.

Just finished plowing snow. They said it would freeze up later on , so get it done asap.
    Hot cider for now with a distinct spiced Morgan sort of taste I hope we keep our power on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Brutally cold and windy here, with low 20s headed for single digits F, and wind gusts up to 40 mph. We got a dusting of snow from the storm that gobsmacked the Delmarva region and is probably the same one headed for danscope's territory. It has been an almost interrupted hard freeze for the past week with another three days expected before a thaw on Monday.
    Correction: That should have been uninterrupted.

Cleared up but a couple of days of cold coming, gotta do a little clean up and bring some wood. This morning the BIL got his truck stuck while plowing the driveway a friend of his came and got him out. Also there are some places in the regions largest city has power outages today.

Went out to shovel some snow from doorstep and there was the truck stuck again.

A nice cheery 11 this afternoon , with a 20 kt breeze . Skies clear. I'm sure that radiational cooling
    will ' help ' We will be looking for places to put the snow from our next storm. Lot of drifting.
    Average is 12 " , but it's all about where you are. My front steps get blown fairly clear .
    The cat stayed out all of 3 minutes. Ha.

There is an observatory on top of 22 story building got hit by 137 km/hr gust, glad I wasn't in there. Got heater tape on problem areas of pipes hopefully I got it right.

Buffalo has gotten into the playoffs and it was -2 F (-19 C) today. Hell has frozen over.
    Solfe

The local powers were starting to squawk about drought again when the offshore high pressure system finally broke up and the storm gate has opened.

Yay rain!
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Everybody else down wind of California watch out. Moisture is inbound!
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Still cold but no frozen pipes as far as I know.

Our crawl space temp dropped to 32F this morning and we topped outside at 24F today, near zero expected tonite. I installed pex plumbing a couple of years ago so not too concerned. ....and yes I have temp sensors in the crawl space...and a few water alarms too.

I hope everyone gets thru this cold snap in ok shape.

Tomorrow AM will be -2 below zero. Fun

I am just glad I am not in Sydney (OZ ) today. 47.3 C (117 F) recorded in the outer suburbs. It was a much more pleasant 30 C (86 F) here today.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I am just glad I am not in Sydney (OZ ) today. 47.3 C (117 F) recorded in the outer suburbs. It was a much more pleasant 30 C (86 F) here today.
    30 C is too hot for me. I might have experienced temperature close to 47 in the smelter where I worked as a teen, but it would have only been for brief periods. How long do people last outdoors at 47?

30 C is too hot for me. I might have experienced temperature close to 47 in the smelter where I worked as a teen, but it would have only been for brief periods. How long do people last outdoors at 47?
    I have only been out in temperatures around 45 C and is not pleasant. But as long you have access to water and are wearing proper clothing (especially wide brimmed hats and not baseball caps) it is bearable. There was a Cricket Test Match on in Sydney today - England V Australia - and on the pitch, and in the sun, the temperature was around 53 C. The game went on but with extra drink breaks with some of the players being out in the sun for 5 - 6 hours.

Wow, that just boggles my mind.

Wow, that just boggles my mind.
    Well, I sit here and look at the WEBCAMs' in Charlottetown and Fredericton, which we visited in August 2016, and can't see how anyone could function there in the current (icy) conditions. You get used to your own climate.