Page 2 of 215 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Your current weather?

According to my iPod, its 39 and overcast. According to my soggy shoes, its rainy and a shade cooler than that.

In a word: Miserable...

Heya,

Unseasonably warm would be a good description. Its December 19 and the temperature is a balmy 61 degrees in Kingsport, Tennessee.

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by Jay200MPH View Post
    I like miles just fine because they start at zero like any sensible unit. The process of subtracting 32 from the temperature to get the actual temperature, however, is beyond all rationality.

- J
    Well then, if you want the actual temperature, you'd better add 273.15 to the one you're apparently using! Unless it's really, really cold there.

Seriously, I'm all for the USA converting to metric but I don't expect to see it in my lifetime. (I'm 60.) I do tend to prefer Fahrenheit temperatures for everyday ambient use, however, because the range of 0-100 so nicely approximates the typical range of ambients in the temperate portions of the globe. Degrees C somehow seem a little coarse.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Viehoff View Post
    The US's stickiness for measuring temps in Frankenstein and selling hog bellies in bushels and the like is remarkably short-sighted.
    This, from the land of Pounds Sterling, pence, quid, bob, farthings, and stones.

Seriously, I really do wish we'd go metric. I've always thought the system is simpler, more logical, and practical. I had no problems living in metric while stationed in Germany. But until we do convert, I'll continue to operate in Fahrenheit degrees, inches, feet, miles, and gallons for day-to-day usage. Far better for the occasional person like you to do a little math, than for me to constantly explain to everyone else I deal with what I really mean with those numbers.

I do have some concerns about coverting though. For instance, when I go to the home improvement center, will I still be able to call it a 2x4? "Thirty-eight-by-eighty-nine" just doesn't roll of the tongue as nicely.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    -35C, clear, light breeze. Supposed to warm up to -24C today.

I think I'll work indoors today.
    Ahhh, finally I can say it's a balmy -4c here.

We only got about 30cm of snow this morning.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post

I do have some concerns about converting though. For instance, when I go to the home improvement center, will I still be able to call it a 2x4? "Thirty-eight-by-eighty-nine" just doesn't roll of the tongue as nicely.
    I don't see why you wouldn't just keep calling it a 2x4. As your metric units and link show, it's not 2 inches by 4 inches anyhow. Not going to change soon anyway.

We got out of school early because of snow for the first time in three years! And now we've got the most beautiful flurry going on outside.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by orionjim View Post
    Ahhh, finally I can say it's a balmy -4c here.

We only got about 30cm of snow this morning.
    Yeah, it's up to -28 now. It's also supposed to cool off a bit over the weekend. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I don't see why you wouldn't just keep calling it a 2x4. As your metric units and link show, it's not 2 inches by 4 inches anyhow. Not going to change soon anyway.
    Yep, they're still called 2x4 here, though our building code refers to 38mm x 89mm. Wall studs are placed at 16" centres, though the code refers to 400 mm. And so on.

The woodlands side of our lumber operations operate strictly metric, but once the logs are in the mill, everything changes to feet and inches. And thus we calculate our lumber recovery factor as fbm/m3.

It is balmy 72 F. We have the a/c on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinaa View Post
    It is balmy 72 F. We have the a/c on.
    It's supposed to be that way tomorrow too..until a strong cold front comes through Dallas between 3 and 6 pm...then we'll get subfreezing temps...only 29 F (-2) for a high on Sunday. Thing is, 2 and 3 days ago, we had freezing rain for 2 days. Then Fog and mildly cool yesterday. Ohhh, this is really ping-ponging all over the place - with more to come for next week!

Well, we were supposed to get 8-12 inches yesterday morning, but we ended up getting less than half that because sleet and freezing rain deposited half the precipitation in denser forms.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Thanks for all the input so far! Short daytime in Alaska, I "see" [have known this of course]. Not sure I could deal with that. Chrissy, I'm glad you're safe from those nasty winds. Tinaa, 72 is a touch *cool* to we desert dwellers. Currently we're "cold" [38 F] and overcast. Hopefully rain is in the works. We've had lots of wind lately; it and fog [extremely rare here] are two forms of weather I could do without.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    ....Bring it on.
    ssshhh jigsaw....i wouldn't let the gift horse in the house...
    have a nice day

buttercup....to be honest, as long as the weather is great for a good game of cricket...wherever it is being played, that's just great with me.
    it can rain or whatever on the whole of the rest of the planet, including over me, i am ok with that.

ok the second thing...clear skies at night some times...

In Houston, it has been overcast and humid for about a week, with lots of drizzle. The fog has been terrible. It has been like living in a cloud for a week. Supposedly, a front will pass through tonight and bring clear skies.

Temps have been in the 55-75F range.

Yesterday it was a partly sunny day and 65 degrees. Today it is cloudy and 29 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    yikes...

Is that -40C or -40F
    Last edited by orionjim; 2008-Dec-21 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Yes.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Still snowing here in the Willammette valley. I estimate about 14" of snow out there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by orionjim View Post
    yikes...

If that -40C or -40F
    That's there C and F meet.

May be there shortly with windchills. Gonna be -1 tonight with blizzard conditions. Lots of wind will make windchill -25 to -30 or worse.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

It's so cold in Phoenix, Arizona that I'm going to have to wear a sweater when I go bicycling this morning. I probably won't need it later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Still snowing here in the Willammette valley. I estimate about 14" of snow out there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    It's so cold in Phoenix, Arizona that I'm going to have to wear a sweater when I go bicycling this morning. I probably won't need it later in the day.
    Me too, on my KTrak conversion kit.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowcycle.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	9292  

Looks to me like my Yule party is pretty much canceled. We've got about a foot, too.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

A balmy (87%) 46 deg F day, with towering cumulus dark (midnight).

The weather in Atlanta can't make up its mind. The past few days have been in the 60s with balmy nights. Today was cold and tonight the temp will be in the 20s.

In my place , the weather is always summer .

Lowest is at 20deg celsius and highest is at 32degrees celsius today.

Holding at just above freezing here in the Great North-icy. We're about 11 days into a snow event, longer than I remember in 40 years of living here. We are NOT accustomed to this! A week ago, we were predicted to be in the 40's (F) this week. Now there's more snow predicted tonight.

Too bad about the Yule party, Gillian. We were to have my wife's family here tomorrow and visit my folks on the 25th. Don't know if either will happen.

They are predicting temps in the 70s tomorrow! It has been cold the last few days with temps in the 30s and 40s. Brrr.

Remember this is South Texas.

San Francisco, cloudy and in the 50's.
    Suppose to drop down into the 40's again tonight!! brrrrrrr...