Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Did You Get the Name-Change Memo?

When the heck did renumeration become remuneration? Made a fool of myself at the club's last AGM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    When the heck did renumeration become remuneration? Made a fool of myself at the club's last AGM.
    It never did, but I know the feeling totally. For a long time I thought it was renumeration, and was shocked to find out that that's wrong. It actually comes from a Latin word that's related to "municipal," not "numeral."
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What happened to "Hispanic"? Gender-neutral and more accurate. Probably.

Stuff that bugs me: The supermarket has a "Hispanic Foods" department. It's really just "Mexican" food. You won't find anything from any other Spanish-speaking culture. You will, however, find Sriracha among the hot sauces. It's also in the Asian and Condiments departments.
    Wikipedia: Hispanic-Latino Naming Dispute:

While the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably, "Hispanic" is a narrower term that only refers to persons of Spanish-speaking origin or ancestry, while "Latino" is more frequently used to refer generally to anyone of Latin American origin or ancestry, including Brazilians.[3][4][5][6][7] "Hispanic" thus includes persons from Spain and Spanish-speaking Latin Americans but excludes Portuguese and Brazilians. Because Brazil's population of 191,000,000[8] is several times larger than Spain's population of 47,000,000[9] and because there are more Brazilian-born Americans (325,547 as of 2012)[10] than Spanish-born Americans (88,665 as of 2012)[11] in the United States, "Latino" is a broader term encompassing more people. The choice between the terms among those of Spanish-speaking origin is associated with location: persons of Spanish-speaking origin residing in the eastern United States tend to prefer "Hispanic", whereas those in the west tend to prefer "Latino".[12]

Yeah. I know some Brazilians who would say "Don't bother on our account" - they don't see themselves as either Hispanic or Latin, and can't see a need for a collective noun that would include them with the rest of Latin America. It's probably best just to call Brazilians Brazilians.

Grant Hutchison

Something based on "Iberian" perhaps?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

If Spanish-speaking immigrants use gender-specific words like Latino and Latina, why should an Italian/English/Scottish/Irish/French Huguenot/Cherokee-American mongrel like myself insist on creating a gender-neutral substitute?

Increasingly, they don't. (Most of the Spanish-speaking immigrants I know are perfectly content with "Hispanic" anyway!) We actually used to have a Brazilian member here who would tell you, in pretty exhaustive detail, why he did not consider himself culturally and ethnically part of "Latino" anyway.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Increasingly, they don't. (Most of the Spanish-speaking immigrants I know are perfectly content with "Hispanic" anyway!) We actually used to have a Brazilian member here who would tell you, in pretty exhaustive detail, why he did not consider himself culturally and ethnically part of "Latino" anyway.
    Many may also consider themselves to be Cuban or Peruvian or Guatemalen, and eschew a broader classification.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

My last name is a "Spanishized" version of an Italian name, made up by people in Louisiana. When I introduce myself to Spanish speakers, they wince because the pronunciation is close to pronouncing "Smith" as "Smythe". They think I am messing with them and want to see it spelled.
    Solfe

I had an earlier version of spellcheck in my word processor correct commensurately to comeasurably for my thesis, just before final submission and publication. So that error is in there (I don't think it's in the journal article derived from it... eeehhh...).

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org