Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount Redoubt Volcano

Are you saying doubt is mounting? (*groan*)

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

or remounting.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Still not much has changed.

Looks like there was an Avalanche signature picked up on the seismographs today. Other then that the tremors and small Earthquakes (EQ's) are continuing, along with elevated gas emissions of CO2 and SO2.

From what USGS is saying there is two magma pools showing deep EQ's one at 40km depth, and another at 2km depth. (This is similar to St. Helen's, another very cyclic volcano that also has two magma pools. There might be some relationship to the number of magma pools under a volcano, and it's cycles of activity)

So it looks like I was wrong in my assessment of deformation. But that was a crude way to see if there was any.

The cam's are obscured today by weather, but on the AVO website they have new pictures from Feb 7th fly by, that show one of the steam out-gassings.

USGS is also saying that although it could be months before it might erupt, that they expect that when it does, it might only give a hour or so warning of precursor events. So they are continuing a 24/7 staffing to monitor Redoubt.

Redoubt has had some Elevated levels of Siesmicity since yesterday morning, still no eruption however.

The webcam's are one again obscured by weather, and some of the siesmographs are expericing small occasional data drops outs

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    Redoubt has had some Elevated levels of Siesmicity since yesterday morning, still no eruption however.

The webcam's are one again obscured by weather, and some of the siesmographs are expericing small occasional data drops outs
    Probably not a good day to walk up the volcano.

Weather

Some minor changes in our doubting Redoubt.

It had a rather strong harmonic tremor today, that has since be followed by an elevated number and intensity of a swarm of quakes.

Other then that, it's still defying the predictions of erupting within weeks.

I have captured a few cool pictures from the web-cam for viewing.

(Images used by USGS/AVO public usage rights)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Less Snow

Looking at the pictures, it looks like there is less snow on the peak on the 18th then there was on the 17th. I don't know if it's the pictures, but there is more rock showing.

Not much showing on the USSC site.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/....-154.-150.php

Hi rommel543, welcome to BAUT.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by rommel543 View Post
    Looking at the pictures, it looks like there is less snow on the peak on the 18th then there was on the 17th. I don't know if it's the pictures, but there is more rock showing.
    Welcome to BAUT!

Yes, most of the snow loss is probably due to wind. But at the summit it is possible the some was lost to melting.

Also over all it does look like it's calmed down again today. I don't even think the mountain knows what it's going to do next

That USUS link shows quakes, but not the harmonic tremors. If you go to the USGS/AVO web site you can also look for the tremor activity on the webicorders themselves.

AVO made a visit to Redoubt again

USGS/AVO 2009-02-22 18:05:32

AVO personnel visited the volcano today and installed a broadband seismic instrument to the west of the volcano. They made observations including the apparent enlargement of the melt pit at approximately 6000'. Volcanic tremor with variable amplitudes and intermittent discrete earthquakes continue.

Still no change in the tremors and intermittent quakes. Redoubt still hasn't made up it's mind, so is living up to it's name.

However did catch some interesting events on the web-cams today. One of them a that looks like small steam-like puff. This is likely NOT a steam eruption, but a condensation cloud that formed because of the heating at the summit of Redoubt.

Other one is just a too-cool-for-words, dusk shot.

(Images used by USGS/AVO public usage rights)

Boy, this one tries the patience, doesn't it?

Redoubt you gotta let me know
    Will you sit or will you blow
    Why do you wait for so much time
    So will you blow up or just whine
    Redoubt you gotta let me know
    Will you sit or will you blow?

Sorry. Yes, I know how slow geological processes can be

Quote Originally Posted by jj_0001 View Post
    Sorry. Yes, I know how slow geological processes can be
    About that statement, there can be Nodoubt.

Boy, this one tries the patience, doesn't it?
    Pardon me if I don't share your eagerness for its eruption. I'd just as soon not use my preparedness kit.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

At around 3:30pm (AST) today and lasting for an hour, a major Tremor event occured at Redoubt that peaked high enough in magnitude that it was picked up at Mt. Spurr seismograph stations (thats around a magnitude 2.3 tremor at it's peak).

It has still -not- erupted, however this sort of high amplitude tremor puts the probibilty up to 100% that it will, eventually, erupt. Just no tellign how long it will take to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Pardon me if I don't share your eagerness for its eruption. I'd just as soon not use my preparedness kit.

Yeah. This I can certainly understand. You near it, then? Is that the "Peters Creek" in Anchorage?

Or the one in the middle of almost nowhere about 20 miles west of Trapper's Creek?

Yeah. This I can certainly understand. You near it, then? Is that the "Peters Creek" in Anchorage?

Or the one in the middle of almost nowhere about 20 miles west of Trapper's Creek?
    I'm in the Peters Creek about 22 miles northeast of downtown Anchorage but still within the Municipality of Anchorage. Redoubt is about 99 miles from my office, the air traffic control tower at Anchorage International Airport. It's clearly visible from the cab on a nice day.

I've been keeping my eye on the wind charts and most days, at least one of the tracks (especially 20-40K feet) always seems to be sitting right on top of Anchorage. Later this week looks better for us, though...but worse for the Kenai.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I'm in the Peters Creek about 22 miles northeast of downtown Anchorage but still within the Municipality of Anchorage. Redoubt is about 99 miles from my office, the air traffic control tower at Anchorage International Airport. It's clearly visible from the cab on a nice day.

I've been keeping my eye on the wind charts and most days, at least one of the tracks (especially 20-40K feet) always seems to be sitting right on top of Anchorage. Later this week looks better for us, though...but worse for the Kenai.

Ahh, yeah, more like the expected path. The other Peters Creek shown on the map I have is more or less in the middle of nowhere at all, and a dirt road passes through it. No other roads show up. But it was substantially north of where you are

Well, may the wind be atypical when it does blow!

Was it Redoubt erupting about 20 years ago (just after I started working for Boeing) when a 747 on its delivery flight to Europe flew through the ash cloud and had a four-engine flameout? They got them restarted and landed at Anchorage but the repairs ran into multiple tens of millions.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Was it Redoubt erupting about 20 years ago (just after I started working for Boeing) when a 747 on its delivery flight to Europe flew through the ash cloud and had a four-engine flameout? They got them restarted and landed at Anchorage but the repairs ran into multiple tens of millions.
    Yes (plays sound on load!). I remember it was a KLM Boeing 747. Easy find.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

That was before my time (I moved here in '98) but working with the FAA, I've heard it mentioned many times.

Volcanic ash is hard on turbine engines! The pilots actually managed to get them restarted or there would have been a much worse result.

Latest AVO update:

2009-02-27 02:28:08

Redoubt Volcano has not erupted. Seismicity during the past 24 hours has consisted mostly of small discrete earthquakes. A tremor event between 17:30 and 18:10 yesterday evening occurred when and a small mudflow and vigorous steam plume could be seen in the webcam images, emerging from one of the ice holes on the mountain's upper north flank. The flow peaked between 17:52 and 18:04.

During an overflight yesterday afternoon, geologists noted steaming from the base of the 1989-1990 dome and from a melt hole on Drift Glacier.
    Ahh, "vigorous steam plume", OK, maybe it would be a good idea to check that preparedness kit.

The Webicorder readouts for REF and RSO are amazing. REF has red lines everywhere.

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/webicorder...REF_EHZ_AV.php

RED LINES indicate either a calibration pulse, or where the signal was clipped (too large to be recorded on the scale of the webicorder).

USGS is sayign today No significant earthquake swarms have occurred in the past 24 hours.

However it looks more active with swarms then with tremors today.

Quote Originally Posted by USGS/AVO
    2009-03-01 13:50:46

Redoubt volcano has not erupted. Seismicity continues to be dominated by small discrete earthquakes with diminished tremor.

Clear webcam images show no changes of the volcano. A steam plume has been visible most of the day.
    AVO continues to staff the observatory 24 hours a day and to monitor Redoubt volcano closely.
    I checked the webcams but the steam plume is no longer happening, so no pictures of it at this point.

drums fingers on desk
    drums fingers on desk
    drums fingers on desk

Okay, Mt. Redoubt; anytime you'd care to finally erupt...

I'm re-doubting this volcano.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

Okay, Mt. Redoubt; anytime you'd care to finally erupt...
    My only recommendation: keep your eyes on the read-out.
    As above, so below