PAY NO ATTENTION TO ANY OF MY POSTS IN THIS THREAD, BECAUSE MY SCIENCE IS IN ERROR! ljbrs

I was writing about SCIENTIFIC dictionaries. The American Heritage Dictionary (a favorite of mine) is not a scientific dictionary. I have a load of scientific dictionaries and encyclopedias and all of them define (when they define it at all) *centrifugal force* as being *inertia* and not a force. It really surprised me to find out, a long time ago, that *centrifugal force* was not defined in science dictionaries as a *force*, but as *inertia*, instead.

Really, the professional astronomers and physicists of my limited acquaintance use the term *centrifigal force* and it really does not bother me. They know what they are describing and the words *centrifugal force* can be very useful. Everybody knows what they are describing. However, many ordinary people do not know that centrifugal force acts like inertia in movement at a tangent to the curve when the centripetal force causing the circular motion has ended. If centrifugal force were a real force, it would act radially to the curve rather than tangentially.

Oh, well, you know about dogs with bones. They refuse to relinquish them...

Arf arf! Bow wow! Woof woof! Snarl snarl!

Granny ljbrs [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljbrs on 2002-03-31 15:14 ]</font>