Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you not reading?

What are you not reading?

I'm currently not reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. I actually enjoyed Da Vinci Code and quite liked Angels and Demons, but enough is enough.

I'm interspersing this with every book ever that has anything whatsoever to do with Michael Jackson. I'm simultaneously not listening to any of his records.

Earlier in the year I put John Ajvide Lindqvist's Let The Right One In on my not-reading pile, but didn't get round to not reading it. It turned out to be very good indeed.

How DO you manage to find such head-slappingly obvious topics? Congratulations!

I am not reading any mysteries. In our house the division of labor is that I cook and my wife reads the whodunits. It works well.

I am not reading Asimov's Science Fiction magazine, despite having a subscription. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    How DO you manage to find such head-slappingly obvious topics? ...
    Havant a clue, Mike!

I'm not reading Philip Roth's The Crime Against America. It's very good, I just seem to have "stalled" halfway through.

I rather suspect I'm not reading a book by the woman who won the Nobel Prize in Literature this year. I flipped through it, and she's one of those writers who doesn't see the need for quotation marks or question marks. This may be because the translator does not, but I still find it worrisome.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'm celebrating my 40th anniversary of not reading Atlas Shrugged.

Satisfying.

Hey! I'm not reading Atlas Shrugged, too!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Practically all of them.

In particular I'm not reading the Shadowrun rulebook, which is slightly bothersome as I'm supposed to be playing the thing in the tolerably near future.

My not reading pile is pretty large, and contains all Harry Potter books and everything by Dan Brown - and several other things, naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Congratulations!

Perhaps we could start a Not Reading Ayn Rand book club. Our slogan might be "Who is John Roark?"

How DO you manage to find such head-slappingly obvious topics? Congratulations!
    Your presence in this thread was expected and welcome; the compliment was a bonus.

And I wanna join the Not Reading Ayn Rand book club.

In addition to being a member of the Not-Reading Ayn Rand Books club, I'm also president of the Not-Reading John Norman Gor Books club.
    So many bugs, so little time.

I'm not reading Dostoevsky, though every year I do try (and fail) to remove him from the Not Reading list.

Quote Originally Posted by ABR. View Post
    I'm also president of the Not-Reading John Norman Gor Books club.
    Sadly, I have to content myself with being a founder member of the Wish I Hadn't Read More Than The First Two John Norman Gor Books Club. But I'm president of the newly founded Good Heavens Is John Norman Still Writing This Stuff Book Club.

Grant Hutchison

Congratulations!

Perhaps we could start a Not Reading Ayn Rand book club. Our slogan might be "Who is John Roark?"
    I'd be a charter member! I'd also join the Not Reading Dan Brown club. And I'd happily form a Not Reading The "Left Behind" Books club.

Other things I'm not reading include the tabloid news, celebrity biographies, and anything by a pundit.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I'd also join the Not Reading Dan Brown club.
    Welcome!

Would there be much interest in an "I Wish I Could Unread Pratchett" club?

Earlier this afternoon, I came across a book at the library, Spirit of Beardsley, with a foreword by George Melly.

I can't fathom, why I hurried past it.

I'm not reading any of the twilight series. I've heard many good things from others who haven't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    I'm not reading any of the twilight series.
    Ah, I'm not reading that. I'm not reading it because I so much enjoy not reading the Paranormal Romance genre, to which our local bookshop dedicates a large amount of labelled shelf space. There's enough there to keep me not reading for many years to come!

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Ah, I'm not reading that. I'm not reading it because I so much enjoy not reading the Paranormal Romance genre, to which our local bookshop dedicates a large amount of labelled shelf space. There's enough there to keep me not reading for many years to come!

Grant Hutchison
    It's posts like this that make me realise how positive people can be in an ostensibly negative thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I don't plan to read any of the Shrugging Gods series.

"Who is John Roark?"
    Who?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Lianachan View Post
    Would there be much interest in an "I Wish I Could Unread Pratchett" club?
    Only if it has the sub title "So I can read him for the first time again".

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I'd be a charter member! I'd also join the Not Reading Dan Brown club. And I'd happily form a Not Reading The "Left Behind" Books club.

Other things I'm not reading include the tabloid news, celebrity biographies, and anything by a pundit.
    There are celebrities whose autobiographies can be worth a read--Alan Alda and Steve Martin both wrote very funny ones. But no, few celebrity biographies are worth it. (Alas, the only pundit whose work I read died about a month ago, and I never read his punditry anyway.) However, yes, I'll join those two book clubs as well. Also the "I Wish I'd Never Read Twilight Book Club."

"You can't erase icing."

You lot are much better unread than me; I haven't even heard of some of the people you haven't read. Never mind not read them.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Who?
    Perfect answer! Your membership fee is waived.

I haven't read Captain Corelli's Mandolin three times. I tried to like it, but it got easier not to read it each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    I'm interspersing this with every book ever that has anything whatsoever to do with Michael Jackson. I'm simultaneously not listening to any of his records.
    I'm not reading any books about Michael Jackson either. Also, I'm not reading anything with 2012 in the title.

I am not reading The Economist. And that's every week!

Like others, I'm not reading Ayn Rand, Dan Brown, or Twilight. I wish I could unread the Rama sequels. I've been putting off reading (but probably will eventually, I hope without regret, but am apprehensive) 2061 and 3001.

Nick