Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1346

Thread: Backyard Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Just don't swallow a spider to catch a fly. It can lead to worse things, as I heard a long time ago.
    Do not eat spiders if you are allergic to spiders or any of their ingredients. Swallowing spiders can cause side effects, including bird swallowing, wriggling and jiggling and tickling inside you, cat swallowing, dog swallowing, goat swallowing, cow swallowing, horse swallowing, and death. The FDA has not approved spider swallowing. Talk to your physician and your Arachnologist or Entomologist before swallowing spiders. Use spiders only as directed.
    Last edited by Swift; 2018-Feb-12 at 01:44 PM.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Of Course!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Somebodys backyard, Lion poacher attacked and eaten by Lions.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ica/328580002/
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The other day the BIL took the tractor into woods and on the way he saw a couple of deer laying in some trees and just stayed there as he passed by.

We’ve had social wasps in our attic.

My neighbor’s dog started going nuts about 3:00 am the other day; she woke to let dog out and spotted eight deer.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Three dear in the field actually probably 10 m or less for one.

Dire weather warnings for days now, in the UK, which I've been taking with a pinch of salt because the forecasters have a tendency to catastrophize these days. But certainly a lot of cold air coming in from Siberia and dumping heavy snow showers here on the east coast.
    But today I opened the curtains to find what looked like a flock of thrushes hunched in the tree outside, silhouetted against the grey sky. Those in North America probably aren't familiar with fieldfares. They overwinter in the countryside around here, but I've never seen them in town before - must be slim pickings out there just now. (And I hear that deer are walking into town, too.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I saw a varied thrush in the yard a couple of days ago. It's a sure sign of spring. Robins, not so much. We have them year-round, although they aren't the same robins.

I saw your fieldfares have a certain robiny look to them and then noticed they were the same genus.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I saw your fieldfares have a certain robiny look to them and then noticed they were the same genus.
    Yes, the American Robin (but not the European Robin) is also one of the thrush family. They're all turdiform, to use a fine word that for some reason people are reluctant to say aloud.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Yup, very similar to robins other than color. They probably passed through your area a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Yes, the American Robin (but not the European Robin) is also one of the thrush family. They're all turdiform, to use a fine word that for some reason people are reluctant to say aloud.

Grant Hutchison
    Turdus Migratorius, my favorite scientific species name.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Turdus Migratorius, my favorite scientific species name.
    One year, a nesting robin decided to attack my truck side view mirror repeated...with feces-covered feet, as is their wont. Really lived up to the moniker, Turdus.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I was out taking pictures of our upper lot yesterday and noticed a lot of deer prints in the mud. They are in for a big surprise next week when construction starts.

About ten years ago the put in a new four lane highway it crossed. It was not a pretty picture coming home from work for while.

The deer in my neighborhood walk on the sidewalks. I didn´t know how common this was until I saw a video of deer stopping (or slowing) for stop signs.
    Solfe

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    we get quite a few frontals from deer crossing the road, out of the trees, and choosing just when the vehicle is too close to stop. Maybe it's the tyre sound that scares them into going for it.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was out taking pictures of our upper lot yesterday and noticed a lot of deer prints in the mud. They are in for a big surprise next week when construction starts.
    Are you going to replace the orchard?

Are you going to replace the orchard?
    With a house. And septic system. And driveway. Orchard is gone, though we've still got five trees in front.

I have some backyard wildlife invading my kitchen. Mice. I need to check an old point of entry I stuffed with steel wool years ago to keep them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I have some backyard wildlife invading my kitchen. Mice. I need to check an old point of entry I stuffed with steel wool years ago to keep them out.
    Or get a cat.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Half a dozen large black birds wheeling overhead yesterday. Either eagles or turkey vultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    The steel wool in that opening, and abandoned shower exhaust vent, is intact, but this 69-year-old house probably has plenty of hard-to-find entry points. In the kitchen I started with glue traps the exterminator company rep had left with me after the last inspection. I got one mouse right away, but two more managed to get loose, leaving fur and droppings on the glue. Then I set two classic Victor traps and found out how not to bait them. I just smeared some peanut butter on top of the triggers, and the little varmints licked them clean without tripping them. Then I saw some tips on a YouTube video. The trick was to mix the peanut butter with cotton and stuff the wad into the trigger where the front tip is rolled back on itself, so the mouse would have to dig deep. I also lightened the trigger action by bending the catch to a more nearly vertical position. When I got home late last night and checked the traps, one of them had done its job. It was definitely a clean kill, with the mouse never knowing what hit it.

I mentioned some months back that we have gotten an invasion of Cuban brown lizards and that they seemed to be forcing out the green anoles. Well, the anoles seem to have staged a comeback. I'm seeing more of them lately, and they seem to equal or even outnumber the browns. If that holds, I'll be happy.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Have they tried to sell you car insurance?

Wrong lizard Treb. You're thinking of a day gecko.

Jim, I actually like that news.

I've kept entire *colonies* of green anoles before. I love them as pets.

Kubotasaurus Rex.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digger.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	23090

A couple of Australian Icons we saw the other day - the beach and kangaroos. They are wild but were happy to have their heads scratched and hopped over to you - very unusual.

Name:	DSCN4041 (2).JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	470.1 KB 
ID:	23113

Name:	DSCN4057 (2).JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	23114

Name:	DSCN4055.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	701.4 KB 
ID:	23115
    Last edited by ozduck; 2018-Mar-31 at 07:59 AM.

A few days ago, a rabbit ran across the road in front of us on the way to work. I don’t know if it was a domestic escapee or a wild rabbit still in white phase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

We have a fox in our neighborhood. I haven't gotten a picture yet, but it leaves tracks all over the place. My wife saw it with the kids. We have some impressive looking animals in the area. Falcons, deer, now foxes. Some of the falcons are tiny, which freaks out the dog.
    Solfe