Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1299

Thread: Backyard Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Can't really think of a plant that's good at keeping wildlife at bay where wildlife is an issue.
    Audrey II perhaps?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51M1Y4YRQTL._SY445_.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	23378

Some gardening stores where deer are a problem sell bottled lion urine. I'm told in works well on repelling deer. (Especially when used as a prank to replace the contents of a bottle of doe scent!) Or maybe do an online search.

We had E-freaking-normous lions in California that only went extinct about 12,000 years ago.

The deer still remember.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Not MY backyard, I'm happy to say:
    https://twitter.com/Keque_Mage/statu...73319711350785
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Some gardening stores where deer are a problem sell bottled lion urine. I'm told in works well on repelling deer. (Especially when used as a prank to replace the contents of a bottle of doe scent!) Or maybe do an online search.

We had E-freaking-normous lions in California that only went extinct about 12,000 years ago.

The deer still remember.
    Yeah but the bigger problem is how to collect the urine.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've seen that video before but I still love it. And it does seem to be a very Canadian way of both dealing with bears and for the bears to react. I also suspect that works much better with black bears than it does with grizzles.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Glom is online now Insert awesome title here
    What do I do? What do I do?

The nest must have collapsed. There's dead chicks all over the patio.

It's very distressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    What do I do? What do I do?

The nest must have collapsed. There's dead chicks all over the patio.

It's very distressing.
    Sounds like the nest was raided. Either a rat or one of a dozen different bird species could have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Yeah but the bigger problem is how to collect the urine.
    Not if you're the buyer...

I don't care whodunnit. Finding dead little chicks strewn over the patio is not pleasant.
    Sounds like the nest was raided. Either a rat or one of a dozen different bird species could have done it.

Wait, the chicks weren't eaten? (Sorry if I seem to be making light of this, yes finding dead chicks all over your porch would be unlovely. You just have my attention.)

Rats would have eaten the chicks. As would most birds capable of doing this.

Now I'm very curious. Do you mind telling me roughly where in the world you live and the species of bird that was nesting?

Can you positively factor out domestic cats or undomesticated children as the culprits?

Wait, the chicks weren't eaten? (Sorry if I seem to be making light of this, yes finding dead chicks all over your porch would be unlovely. You just have my attention.)

Rats would have eaten the chicks. As would most birds capable of doing this.

Now I'm very curious. Do you mind telling me roughly where in the world you live and the species of bird that was nesting?

Can you positively factor out domestic cats or undomesticated children as the culprits?
    They weren't eaten. The nest was under the overhang of the roof. Rats or cats wouldn't be able to get there.

I'm pretty sure it was the 10 m drop that killed them. It looks like the nest just collapsed. I doubt the parents were NHBC compliant.

In fact, there was a nest last year. It was abandoned and partially collapsed over the winter. Then a bird used the remnants as the ledge to start a new nest this year. That was probably their mistake.

Of course I don't rule out the nest was attacked by another bird. I don't know what birds of prey we get round Wiltshire. But they didn't eat the chicks, or at least not all of them. There were five bodies on the ground when I found them.

Does front yard wildlife count? Because there are orcas in the bay in front of my house!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Does front yard wildlife count? Because there are orcas in the bay in front of my house!
    We even allow side yard and overflights.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    We even allow side yard and overflights.
    The spring overflights of waterfowl are done, but now the side yard has swarms flocks of mosquitoes.

The deer still remember.
    You have cougar|puma|mountain lions now, and they will attack deer.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Not backyard wildlife, except in a sort of metaphorical sense, but not worth opening a new thread for either, I think.

I was descending a hillside in Glen Shiel on Friday, when a very young red deer calf, still brightly spotted with white, erupted out from under a heathery bank about 10 feet to my left, where it had been lying in concealment. It emitted a strange little mewing yelp and galloped out of sight around the curve of the hill. My companion caught me up, and we were discussing what had happened when we realized that, 20 feet to our right, a hind was standing looking at us - she'd presumably heard the calf's distress call and had come back to discover the calf gone and two humans standing around instead.
    So. We'd been about to hurry off specifically to avoid this sort of situation, but now that she had arrived we didn't want to move and spook her away again - she needed to get from our right to our left as soon as possible so she could follow her calf. We froze in place, uncertain of the best thing to do next.
    And then she delicately paced around us in a semicircle so that should could reach the calf's couching place. There, she sniffed around delicately and licked the heather - and then her head shot up and she turned abruptly and galloped off along the calf's line of departure. Either the calf had called again, or she'd caught its scent on the intermittent wind. Anyway, it was a remarkable little moment, and we both found our heart rates were well over 100 after it had all played out.
    By complete chance I had my camera in my hand at the time:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hind.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	351.0 KB 
ID:	23395

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    And for variety, post menopausal bird watchers, solo women naturalists and hermit poetess's.

(5 to 7 times in my lifetime is not an insignificant figure!)

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee
    And for variety, post menopausal bird watchers, solo women naturalists and hermit poetess's.
    Interesting. What led them to attack the deer? Did they attack in a group, or hunt individually? Either way, I'd pay to see that.

(And, on reflection, why is "post-menopausal" an issue?)

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Jun-10 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    (And, on reflection, why is "post-menopausal" an issue?)

Grant Hutchison
    Almost invariably petit women 50 or older get selected by pumas when they do prey on humans.

And pumas have an uncanny success rate for a large land predator. 78% of their attacks end in a kill. The African lion comes in second, (among big cats), at a paltry 28 to 32 percent, depending on the competency of the pride's females.

And most petit 50+ year old women aren't nearly as spry as a white tailed deer. Probably kicks the percentage up from that first figure.

Almost invariably petit women 50 or older get selected by pumas when they do prey on humans.
    Yeah. I'm just trying to tease out if "post menopausal" is actually relevant to the attacks - something which would be very interesting (and I think quite remarkable) if so. I think it would also be remarkable if there was a specific age threshold, though age may be the most readily available data point in the epidemiology.

Isn't it more likely that the attack rate is driven by some confounding factor, such as perceived agility or speed across the ground, rather than age or menopausal status?

Grant Hutchison

Yes, I think it is.

Think about the bird watching demographic. Who is more likely to have the time and resources to spend days on end in the wilderness? A 25 year old or a 55 year old?

It's more of an exposure time issue as opposed to a perceived agility issue.

This isn't any-yard wildlife, this is in-house wildlife.

We heard some noises from our attic crawl space. To make a long story short, the pest control fellow has already trapped three raccoons up there. It has been two days since he trapped any more, so that might be it, but we're going to give it a couple more days.

He also figured out how they broke in: we have a attic vent fan. The outside housing of it is plastic, it became embrittled (it is probably decades old) and they just broke through it. But they also bent out some screening that was on the inside surface of the fan, and they bent the motor shaft, probably climbing on it. So we are going to have to replace the whole fan, this time with a metal housing.

This isn't any-yard wildlife, this is in-house wildlife.

We heard some noises from our attic crawl space. To make a long story short, the pest control fellow has already trapped three raccoons up there. It has been two days since he trapped any more, so that might be it, but we're going to give it a couple more days.

He also figured out how they broke in: we have a attic vent fan. The outside housing of it is plastic, it became embrittled (it is probably decades old) and they just broke through it. But they also bent out some screening that was on the inside surface of the fan, and they bent the motor shaft, probably climbing on it. So we are going to have to replace the whole fan, this time with a metal housing.
    That must have sounded like the homeless moved in!

Raccoons are large AND clumsy. Since they're plantigrade they don't sound "right" when they run. You hear both the heel and toe strike so it sounds like an eight legged dog is running up on you.

That must have sounded like the homeless moved in!

Raccoons are large AND clumsy. Since they're plantigrade they don't sound "right" when they run. You hear both the heel and toe strike so it sounds like an eight legged dog is running up on you.
    We never heard the break-in, but it might have happened when we weren't home.

Ouch! I hate raccoons. As I've mentioned here a time or sixteen, we had one give birth in our floor some years back.

Well they were probably in your backyard at one point.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Saw a great spotted woodpecker on a tree outside our house yesterday. Suburban York has some interesting birds; there was a flock of waxwings in that tree a decade or so ago.

We never heard the break-in, but it might have happened when we weren't home.
    I was referring to just the sound of them moving around in your attic. That had to be extremely obvious.

I was referring to just the sound of them moving around in your attic. That had to be extremely obvious.
    It was obvious, but it didn't seem remarkably loud. I think the three were a mom and two kids; the two smaller ones were still pretty small, and my understand is that mom raccoons are rather reclusive, because male raccoons will come and kill the kits, so that they can then mate with the female (cats do this too). Given all that, she might have mostly been laying low.

Or my earholes aren't calibrated for critter size. I was guessing something more mouse/vole sized. Shows what I know.

Went out to do some stargazing and turned backwards, There was something with a broad tail heading towards the woods.
    Don't Panic THGTTG