Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536
Results 1,051 to 1,071 of 1071

Thread: Backyard Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Where I used to live, from late fall to early spring is when all of the "Have you seen Fluffy?" posters would go up on the telephone poles.

Oddly enough, this also coincides with when great horned owls migrate into the area to nest and breed.

Though correlation is by no mean causation...
    There's a joke in there I don't want to get banned for...

first thing I hear on my birthday is a bunch of coyotes howling.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    first thing I hear on my birthday is a bunch of coyotes howling.
    How do they know it's your birthday?

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    How do they know it's your birthday?
    They know who Astro is because he watched them evolve from miacids...
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I think I will stay close to the house today, I usually have my cell phone on me in case something does happen but I am a little spooked.
    Last edited by astrotimer; 2017-Nov-01 at 03:44 PM.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    I think I will stay close to the house today, I usually have my cell phone on me in case something does happen but I am a little spooked.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attacks_on_humans

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    The only attack I have heard about was my BIL but he was out hunting them and wearing odor to attract them. But I have other things to do as well.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

How do you do that?

I can never get one to attack me...

The story was that BIL was hiding behind log and coyote jump over was surprised can't remember rest of story.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Sounds good. Thanks.

More Rodentia: Rabbits. How could I have forgotten the rabbits. It's why my wife can't have a garden.

Reptilia:
    Garter Snakes. One used to live under the front stoop. Built a new portico but the snake hasn't returned. One day while I was mowing on my lawn tractor came eyeball-to-eyeball with one sunning themselves on a ball cedar.
    Turtles: I've no idea on the species. About the size of my hand, likes to lay eggs in my mulch. Only seen one hatchling ever though.
    Snapping Turtle: Evil looking creature. EVIL! I was in my truck and it still struck fear.

I was going to begin that last sentence with just Was but I knew some wag was going to respond: "What, the Snapping Turtle was in your truck?"

The other day in the woods all I say was partridge, I got so close that it just walked off before it had a chance to fly off with a lot noise, either that or it was female protecting a nest but is probably too late in the year for that.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

WARNING for those with a snake phobia - snake tale to follow!

My daughter, who lives about 5km away from me just went out to her letterbox and as she was walking back into the house noticed a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dugite climbing up her front door - which was ajar. Her 16 month & 4 year old were inside. She, fairly reasonably, got a bit panicky but it slithered away. Dugites are very venomous - the last death in Western Australia from a Dugite bite was, according to the link, in 2015 -see the Wiki - it appears the victim didn't treat it seriously enough.

She is getting the "pest guy" to come in a couple of days to treat the house for bugs and pests like mice - which are a favoured food of Dugites. She is only about 20 KM from the centre of Perth but there is a nature reserve with lakes and swamps about 100 metres away. The snake probably came from there. For about 5 years she had "pet" Bobtail Goanna https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiliqua_rugosa which used to often visit her backyard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dugite.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	22753

On a happier note, when I went in to town a couple of days ago it was rather windy. There was a lovely bald eagle just soaring in it, wings spread, nary a flap, no apparent motion. And about fifty feet from the car as I passed by.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

A couple of nights ago, I was sitting outside my garage with the security lights turned off with hopes of catching some Northern Lights. Alas, there were pretty quiet but during my vigil, I heard an animal noise in the snow and leaves nearby. Thinking it was a neighbor’s dog who views our yard as his potty kingdom, I hissed, “Git! Git! Getouttahere!” and I heard it scamper off. Turns out it might have been a bunny:

The tracks were 4-to-5 feet apart, so he was moving smartly, I think.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Things are going well with wildlife in Belgium, which also means we are getting problems we didn't have for decades. I've seen the fourth dead fox next to the road in a year. I have *never* seen them the 30 years before that. We've had to shoot off some wild boars at one location because not a day would pass without a car hitting one. At least now we know what people did wrong in the past to manage wildlife so hopefully we'll find a better way of living alongside in balance.

Does a chimney count as backyard?
    Last spring, on a windy Saturday morning about 7:30 am, I was already up and watching tv, I heard a noise against the chimney. There were a lot of branches blowing about so I thought nothing about it. A few minutes later, a noise was heard at the flue or damper level. I thought it was squirrel. Now, it was cold so we'd had a fire the previous evening and the damper was open. Good thing! A moment later there was a Wompf! in the fireplace. I get up, look in and see an eye looking back. I thought it was a starling, which we have more than enough of. I got a flashlight and closer examination reveals it to be a duck. A duck! Not Peking Duck, Duck L'Orange, nor roast duck, but a live Duck!
    I go upstairs, my wife is still in bed, and I say "There's a duck in the fireplace." She laugh, looks at my face and says "You're not kidding!"
    I call the local Animal Management Officer but since it's Saturday I get the answering service. "You need to call a pest management service." I don't want to kill it! Just get it out of the house! No luck there.
    So I take Riley, my cockatiel out of the living room, because sensitive soul he is, he's not going to take a duck flying around the room well.
    Open the glass to the fireplace, duck looks at me. With my wife standing by with towels, I take the grate out. Duck just sits there. I'm thinking "Has this happened to you before?"
    "Oh no. Not again. Why does this keeping happening to me."
    I grab it with a towel. A seconds struggle and and it's calm. I take it to the back deck and release it. It flew off trailing soot like a wounded Sopwith Camel.
    Near as I can figure, it was sitting on our chimney, and not having talons or claws, just webfeet, when a gust caught it, it was blown into the chimney.
    Now our chimney was built in the proper location with no cap and we never had downdraft issues, but two days later I had a cap put on.

As I mentioned, the wetlands behind our house provide us with plenty of wildlife especially birds. Mallards are a frequent guest. I'll post about them in another post.
    I had seen some ducks the previous year that I couldn't see clearly enough to make out what species they were.

I can now with certainty say that it is an American Black Duck and the one in my fireplace was a female of the species.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bird View Post
    <snip>
    I go upstairs, my wife is still in bed, and I say "There's a duck in the fireplace."

I suspect that has to be in the top 10 of least likely phrases said to one's wife in the bedroom.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I can now with certainty say that it is an American Black Duck and the one in my fireplace was a female of the species.
    But was it black before it went down the chimney? (Well done for rescuing and freeing it with an apparent minimum of drama.)
    Last edited by ozduck; 2017-Nov-25 at 03:42 AM.

Last spring, on a windy Saturday morning about 7:30 am, I was already up and watching tv, I heard a noise against the chimney. There were a lot of branches blowing about so I thought nothing about it. A few minutes later, a noise was heard at the flue or damper level. I thought it was squirrel. Now, it was cold so we'd had a fire the previous evening and the damper was open. Good thing! A moment later there was a Wompf! in the fireplace. I get up, look in and see an eye looking back. I thought it was a starling, which we have more than enough of. I got a flashlight and closer examination reveals it to be a duck. A duck! Not Peking Duck, Duck L'Orange, nor roast duck, but a live Duck!
    I go upstairs, my wife is still in bed, and I say "There's a duck in the fireplace." She laugh, looks at my face and says "You're not kidding!"
    I call the local Animal Management Officer but since it's Saturday I get the answering service. "You need to call a pest management service." I don't want to kill it! Just get it out of the house! No luck there.
    So I take Riley, my cockatiel out of the living room, because sensitive soul he is, he's not going to take a duck flying around the room well.
    Open the glass to the fireplace, duck looks at me. With my wife standing by with towels, I take the grate out. Duck just sits there. I'm thinking "Has this happened to you before?"
    "Oh no. Not again. Why does this keeping happening to me."
    I grab it with a towel. A seconds struggle and and it's calm. I take it to the back deck and release it. It flew off trailing soot like a wounded Sopwith Camel.
    Near as I can figure, it was sitting on our chimney, and not having talons or claws, just webfeet, when a gust caught it, it was blown into the chimney.
    Now our chimney was built in the proper location with no cap and we never had downdraft issues, but two days later I had a cap put on.

As I mentioned, the wetlands behind our house provide us with plenty of wildlife especially birds. Mallards are a frequent guest. I'll post about them in another post.
    I had seen some ducks the previous year that I couldn't see clearly enough to make out what species they were.

When I was a kid, we had a similar adventure with a flicker. We figured if it got loose in the living room and flew around in a panic, it could run into things like table lamps and do some damage. Fortunately the design of the fireplace screen was such that my dad was able to catch the bird between it and a sheet of plywood, making a makeshift cage he could slide over to a window and let the bird out.

A few deer showed up in the field tonight.
    Don't Panic THGTTG