Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1185

Thread: Backyard Wildlife

We have a suet cage hanging from the crepe myrtle in the back yard. The other day I noticed a newcomer, a black and white, downy woodpecker feeding on the suet. A society finch landed on a branch of the tree and seemed to watch the woodpecker. Then the finch dived down toward the suet. (I've noticed finches feeding on it before.) It didn't land, just swooped by and back to the branch. It did this several more times, until the woodpecker - either full or annoyed - flew away.

And so did the finch.

It didn't want any suet. It just didn't want the woodpecker to have any.

Finches can be real jerks.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Here is a video of some ducks I saw the yesterday.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...91499668512768
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I saw a mama and a papa mallard in a neighbor's front yard this morning. There is a creek across the street with lots of slack water in which I have seen ducks frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Finches can be real jerks.
    When I lived on the coast, my GF's house was at the top of a cliff overlooking the harbour. On the edge of the cliff were a few trees, and one morning while I was enjoying the view and a coffee, I noticed a bald eagle on one of the limbs in that spread wing posture they assume when they're drying off or perhaps thermoregulating. Two crows were mercilessly harassing the eagle, and this went on for about 20 minutes. I was amazed by the patience of the eagle. Then at last it flew off. A lone seagull happened to be flying by about halfway down to the water. The eagle dove towards the gull, which did some evasive maneuver, easily escaping, and then the eagle continued on its way across the harbour. I'm sure it was taking out its frustration on the gull.

Saw a wild goose today but I did not chase it.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

My wife finally determined that it's our robin who wakes her up at 4:00am. I had no idea they were night birds.

Took the dog for a walk through the park this morning. A small gray hawk swooped down near us, then arced back up and landed on a tree branch. It didn't catch anything. I looked around and saw a wide-eyed squirrel frozen still at the base of a pine.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The other day a woodpecker flew up to someones civic number (it is a metal plate with the house number on it they are used for every house in the province.) and started to peck at it and when I got my cell phone to get a video of it, the bird stopped.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Last week I had a visit from the builder to discuss something on our new house and heard a raven croaking. We often hear those, but seldom see them. Then I looked down the way and said "Oh, maybe that's him down there on the tree!" I didn't have my distance glasses on, it was just a couple of bald eagles.

A day or two later, it was an eagle on a utility pole next to the road, then yesterday there were two on a chimney at the lighthouse.

It's quite lovely to live in a time and place where I can say "Oh, it's just an eagle."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Saw a wild goose today but I did not chase it.
    My parents' last dog did that, and found the futility, mostly by following them over an escarpment. The dog dropped ten feet into fairly deep water, but the geese flew away, no doubt giggling.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

I did a quick motorbike ride out to the coast a few days ago to take advantage of the beautiful, sunny and warm weather we're having this week. On the second day I saw nine black bears foraging on the new growth beside the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It's quite lovely to live in a time and place where I can say "Oh, it's just an eagle."
    They've been much more active here with the improving weather. Just last week, I saw a dozen or more in flight, all at once...appropriately...near the community of Eagle River.

I don't get how ravens are heard but seldom seen in your area. Here, [they] walk and fly around like the own the place.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2018-May-15 at 07:02 PM. Reason: they
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I don't get how ravens are heard but seldom seen in your area. Here, walk and fly around like the own the place.
    We don't have ravens around here, but we have crows (their smaller cousin) and that's one of the things I like about crows - that bold attitude that they run place.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    We don't have ravens around here, but we have crows (their smaller cousin) and that's one of the things I like about crows - that bold attitude that they run place.
    I like that about them too. But I've noticed they show less of that attitude when they have a nest nearby. Last spring a pair built a nest in an aspen 15-20 m from my house. They were very quiet around my property and I never noticed them fly directly to the nest whenever they came back to it. Instead, they took a longer route the full length of the treed lot, as if to make it difficult for an observer to figure out where the nest was. Each spring they dig around in my eaves troughs pulling out the clods of aspen leaves that collected there the previous autumn. I noticed this morning that they'd done it again, with chunks of debris lying on the walkway below the gutters (which I'd cleaned yesterday!). I don't know if they are looking for insects amongst that stuff or using it to line a nest.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I like that about them too. But I've noticed they show less of that attitude when they have a nest nearby. Last spring a pair built a nest in an aspen 15-20 m from my house. They were very quiet around my property and I never noticed them fly directly to the nest whenever they came back to it. Instead, they took a longer route the full length of the treed lot, as if to make it difficult for an observer to figure out where the nest was. Each spring they dig around in my eaves troughs pulling out the clods of aspen leaves that collected there the previous autumn. I noticed this morning that they'd done it again, with chunks of debris lying on the walkway below the gutters (which I'd cleaned yesterday!). I don't know if they are looking for insects amongst that stuff or using it to line a nest.
    I'd pay the crows to clean my gutters - save me a lot of work.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Our backyard has been in Ardnamurchan this week - a place with a good population of pine martens. My wife laid out pine marten bait - strawberry jam and raisins - while I set up a camera trap. No luck on the first day. But something came and ate the bait overnight, after I'd taken in the camera.
    Over the next three nights there ensued a three-way tussle between bait-eater, me, and the camera set-up. On our last night I at least solved the mystery of what was eating the bait - but the IR flash completely burned in the images. One more night and I'd have got the camera geometry right and produced some decent photos and videos. But here's what I got:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pict0059.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	23330

And the clean-up squad:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pict0082.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	23331

Yes, you're right, the background view is different in the two images. The badger moved the camera.

Grant Hutchison