Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the saddest song or tune you've ever heard?

Quote Originally Posted by clop View Post
    That is a very nice song chrlzs. The harmonies are actually very simple but she sings it extremely well. Not many singers could pull it off as well as that, except perhaps Nora Jones and, of course, SuBo.

I think it's harder to convey sadness when a tune has no one singing, since you can't hear the emotion in a voice. Trentemoller does an excellent job with "Miss You". Download it and see!

Anyone else got sad songs with no singing? I'm downloading all suggestions.

clop
    Thanks for that Clop - you just took me on an unexpected musical journey.. I listened to Miss You (never heard of Trentemoller before) and liked it, then noticed someone had remixed some of it against another favorite of mine - Massive Attack's 'Teardrops'. I guess I love slow/unusual/haunting/weird music. The remix was nothing much, but I continued my journey to another weird one.. but I'm now going a bit offtopic to songs that just stick in your head. You may like to try to find "Little Light Of Love" by Eric Serra. The second half of this song is played at the end of the sci-fi flick Fifth Element, but I like the full version which includes a very Peter-Gabriel-like performance by Serra at the start. Indeed this track is often wrongly attributed to Gabriel and Thomas Dolby, neither of whom had anything to do with it, as far as I can see... It's a conspiracy!

Anyway, how about Crow River Waltz by Leo Kottke (12 string guitar) for a sad sounding instrumental?

And then going off-topic again - if you like 12 string, then get hold of Kottke's "When Shrimps Learn To Whistle". If that song doesn't sound exactly like its title suggests.. you have no imagination.

Sorry, no youtube links for either, afaics. And cover versions just aren't the same..

Probably the Valse Trist, but that's because I will always associate it with "Feline Fantasies" from Allegro non Troppo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Oc_J1Lu-o

One of the most sad and haunting things I ever heard was on a plane to Europe when the classical music channel played Béla Bartók's Bluebeard's Castle. It stunned me and I obessessed over it for a time. Written in Hungarian, it is an amazing one act opera in which Duke Bluebeard brings home his fourth bride, Judith, who insists in opening the seven locked doors in his castle. Each opening revealing scenes of forboding doom and Judith begins to believe the Duke's former wives were murdered and she may be his fourth victim.
    It can be seen and heard in multiple parts on youtube.

"Hurt" (as in "I Hurt Myself By Hurting You") by Christina Aguilera... At first, or if you don't pay much attention to the lyrics, it seems like just another routine song about a breakup and her regret over how she treated the guy which caused him to dump her. But the lyrics make it pretty clear that it's certainly not that. And it's got two separate things making it such a sad song:

1. The person she's singing to is someone who helped her a lot in the past, like a parent or a mentor or an outstanding teacher. But she now thinks she didn't appreciate that person enough and treated him/her badly, which makes he want to apologize and thank that person...

2. ...but she knows she'll never get the chance because that person is dead.

Can't decide between the Kindertotenlieder and the Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen, (in particular, "Nun will' die Sonn' so hell aufgehn'" and "Wenn mein Schatz Hochzeit macht", respectively); text of the Kindertotenlieder by Rückert, everything else by Gustav Mahler.

Simply heartbreaking.

Thinking of you, Mak.

From 42 years ago, She's leaving Home from
    the Beatles. Loving, possesive parents finding
    their offspring has fledged. Where on Earth did
    such a song spring from? A story fully told in
    clear, very tuneful lyrics! And just one of
    many tracks from that album.

"Orphan Blues" by Tom Rush. A definitive blues song

The Scientist - Coldplay

Gotta check up on that one. Hi Meh. Nice new Year ??

So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by chrlzs View Post
    Thanks for that Clop - you just took me on an unexpected musical journey.. I listened to Miss You (never heard of Trentemoller before) and liked it, then noticed someone had remixed some of it against another favorite of mine - Massive Attack's 'Teardrops'. I guess I love slow/unusual/haunting/weird music. The remix was nothing much, but I continued my journey to another weird one.. but I'm now going a bit offtopic to songs that just stick in your head. You may like to try to find "Little Light Of Love" by Eric Serra. The second half of this song is played at the end of the sci-fi flick Fifth Element, but I like the full version which includes a very Peter-Gabriel-like performance by Serra at the start. Indeed this track is often wrongly attributed to Gabriel and Thomas Dolby, neither of whom had anything to do with it, as far as I can see... It's a conspiracy!

Anyway, how about Crow River Waltz by Leo Kottke (12 string guitar) for a sad sounding instrumental?

And then going off-topic again - if you like 12 string, then get hold of Kottke's "When Shrimps Learn To Whistle". If that song doesn't sound exactly like its title suggests.. you have no imagination.

Sorry, no youtube links for either, afaics. And cover versions just aren't the same..
    Thanks chrlzs! I'll have a listen to them later. Trentemoller's good. Moan (vocals by Ane Trolle, not the instrumental version) is my favourite track by him. Sad in a very depressing way.

clop

Roads by Portishead. That bass solo cuts me up every time.

Adagio in G Minor - Albinoni/Giazotto. Imagine a time trillions of millenia hence when all the stars have burnt out...

Gorecki's Symphony #3 isn't the saddest thing I've heard, but it does have a certain heavy, longing element to it.

Are we talking sad or depressing? If depressing, then I would go with "Without You" by Nillson (sic, I think). Sad, either "Time To Say Goodbye" by Sarah Brightman / Andrea Bocelli or, one song that is almost guaranteed to bring tears to my eyes, "Into The West" by Annie Lennox. It's from The Return of the King - makes me think of when I left England for the US.

Alternatively, if you looking for something obscure, try two songs by One Dove, both from their Morning Dove White album - Breakdown and There Goes The Cure
    Last edited by DippyHippy; 2010-Jan-03 at 04:30 AM. Reason: additions

"Seasons in the Sun" is high up on the list.

There is much good sad music. This is one of my favorites:

Tchaikovsky's symphony "pathetique", the final movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkV6IKIm0w8

Off the top of my head, I'd say Sgt. MacKenzie by Clann An Drumma, about the first world war, or Until U're In My Arms Again by Prince, about the death of his baby son. It's the history and vocal performance more than anything that stirs me in the former, more than the lyrics themselves, but I find the lyrics in the latter to be very sad alone. Combined with the vocals and arrangement, it's very sad indeed.
    Last edited by Lianachan; 2010-Jan-04 at 12:13 AM. Reason: linking to lyrics and suchlike and whatnot

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Johnny Cash's cover of 'Hurt' from Nine Inch Nails. The video makes it all the more poignant.
    I'm neither a fan of Johnny Cash nor Nine Inch Nails; I don't have a particular dislike for either, I just don't go out of my way to listen to them. I'm usually not much of a fan of covers, either.

But, wow, that was haunting. Who knew that Trent Reznor's lyrics were that good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQGAsLUCe64

Suicidal Tendencies "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow... When I Can't Even Smile Today?". this is the "heavy emotion" version.
    it is about just flat out giving up and ending it all, but the video puts a different twist on it at the end.
    then again, a lot of the classic Suicidal tendencies songs are about just that. Mike Muir and company have gotten me and a lot of other people thru a lot of bad times by writing and recording songs just like this..

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQGAsLUCe64

Suicidal Tendencies "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow... When I Can't Even Smile Today?". this is the "heavy emotion" version.
    it is about just flat out giving up and ending it all, but the video puts a different twist on it at the end.
    then again, a lot of the classic Suicidal tendencies songs are about just that. Mike Muir and company have gotten me and a lot of other people thru a lot of bad times by writing and recording songs just like this..
    OMG that was a trip down memory lane, thank you for that reminder. That was the song that introduced me to Suicidal Tendencies.

yeah, it's the song that hooked me into them, too, way back in '88 or so. i was 14 and dealing with a lot more baggage than any 14 year old should ever have to deal with, and ST- along with Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, and a few dozen other metal bands of the time- just spoke to me.
    i think this particular video got played on headbanger's ball one time, and i happened to see it. and i needed to see and hear more.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_EWRxYwAE4&NR=1
    here is the original version- i just wish they would have left the whole middle part that was on the album versions in the video versions. that's the part where it goes from being a somewhat melancholy and inwardly looking song to one that expresses outright anger, desperation, and frustration towards the whole world with an intensity that only Mike Muir could muster without it sounding contrived.
    but, no, they took it out so it could be played on MTV - but it never really got played on MTV, anyways, so Mike Muir should have just left it all in there. and withing a couple of years, the "grunge" thing happened and it seemed like every song on MTV was about how crappy and unfair the world is and how it would be easier to just end it all now..

Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You - Stevie Nicks.

For a hit of existential sadness, I find Allegri's Miserere takes some beating.

Grant Hutchison

Eleanor Rigby, by The Beatles
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Arneb View Post
    Can't decide between the Kindertotenlieder and the Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen, (in particular, "Nun will' die Sonn' so hell aufgehn'" and "Wenn mein Schatz Hochzeit macht", respectively); text of the Kindertotenlieder by Rückert, everything else by Gustav Mahler.

Simply heartbreaking.

Thinking of you, Mak.
    Thinking of Mak as well, although he might disagree that everything by Mahler is heartbreaking. The Eighth is quite exhilierating. Still, most of his work has at the least a tinge of meloncholy, if not total sadness. For those moments I'd nominate the final movement of the 6th and the final movement (Der Abschied or The Farewell) from Das Lied von der Erde. The funeral march in the middle can be devastating.

ETA: Sorry Arneb, I mis-read. You meant everything else in the Kindertotenlieder was by Mahler. My bad. And you are right, it is an incredibly heartbreaking work.
    "I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - William Thompson, 1st Baron Lord Kelvin

"If it was so, it might be, and if it were so, it would be, but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic!" - Tweedledee

This isn't right. This isn't even wrong. - Wolfgang Pauli

Rush, "Losing It"

Okay, maybe it's cliche but The Last Song - Elton John

I will definitely second "Into the West" from Return of the King--one of the reasons I don't listen to it often. It's simply too melancholy for casual listening.

" A song of love is a sad song. Hi Lilly, hi Lilly, hi lo."
    From an old movie and an old song.

How about another Rush song -- Nobody's Hero.
    So many bugs, so little time.