Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What is the saddest song or tune you've ever heard?

Mercy Street, by Peter Gabriel.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

There are a lot of good candidates in this category, but in my opinion, having been playing music
    since 1955 , I think the saddest song is " Ballad in Plain D " , so wonderfully written and performed
    in 1964 by Bob Dylan. It remains one of the most touching and moving songs ever written.

There's a song by Eric Bogle called "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" about a young man sent to Gallipoli in 1915. The song tells of him being a rover in the Australian bush but leaving his roving to sail away to war ("...they gave me a tin hat and they gave me a gun/ and they sent me away to a war").

He left to the cheers and acclaim of the crowd that had gathered to farewell the ship at the quay. However, he lost both legs to a shell blast and returned to Australia a broken man, returning to the quay from where he left only a few months before "...the band played Waltzing Matilda/ as they carried me down the gangway/ but nobody cheered, they just stood there and stared.../ and then, turned their faces away."

I could never sing it, because I would always choke up at that last line. Best anti-war song I have ever heard from any era. (There's a stanza in it that sums up the futility of WW1 perfectly: "The band played Waltzing Matilda/ As we stopped to bury the slain/ We buried ours, and the Turks buried theirs.../ Then we started all over again.")

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    There's a song by Eric Bogle called "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda"
    And we've come full circle. That's pretty much where this thread started (post 4, 15 years ago).

Fleetwood Mac's Songbird.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Mercy Street, by Peter Gabriel.
    yes: another PG song i donít think i mentioned is Wallflower.
    As above, so below

Also, not necessarily sad but terribly depressing: Nobody Home from The Wall.
    As above, so below

And while we're on a PG roll, how about his cover of "Heroes"?

Possibly better than the original. And on the subject of wartime elegies, there's "The Minstrel Boy" and "In Flanders Fields".
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    There's a song by Eric Bogle called "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" about a young man sent to Gallipoli in 1915. ... Best anti-war song I have ever heard from any era. ...
    Anti-war? Try Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ye.

https://www.lyricsondemand.com/c/cla...wyelyrics.html

Sad? Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber. Anytime I hear it being played, I have to stop and just feel it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MHeNt6Yjs
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    Lightning Crashes by Live. Song dedicated to a woman who dies in childbirth.
    It only took me eight years to find the word's for my reply:

It's not.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1862

The video clip is a bit confusing and leads many to think it's about dying during childbirth, but it's about the circle of life.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    ABBA's "S.O.S." (1975), as covered by Portishead (2016): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVe-9VWIcCo

Grant Hutchison
    Another great cover by Beth Gibbon is Velvet Underground's "Candy Says".

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...DNg64lO5WrKk__

Pretty much everything on her hard to find album with Paul Webb "Out of Season" would qualify

Here's one of my favorites from "The Beat Farmers" called "Texas Heat". It's just a short soliloquy of a condemned man, sung with a beautifully odd harmonic blending of Country Dick Montana's exceptionally deep baritone voice with the more natural sound of Joey Harris' tenor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Ra8p_zIoIYM