PDA

View Full Version : Drive-Thru / Take-Away Mixups

Buttercup
2010-Jan-28, 07:09 PM
This a.m. I drove down to the nearest McD's for breakfast sandwiches for husband and myself.

The cashier handed me 2 small sacks [:confused:] and 1 small orange juice.

I wondered why she'd sacked 1 sandwich to 1 bag, when both would fit into one sack. Put sacks into passenger's seat without looking.

Drove home.

Turned out in the other sack was a Fruit & Yogurt Parfait. :surprised

No big deal of course, but I'm wondering what "freebies" you've gotten.

[p.s. If I'd checked the sacks at the McD's window I'd have notified her of the "freebie" and given it back]

Fazor
2010-Jan-28, 07:17 PM
I can't remember any specific "freebies" (though like you, we return them if we catch them in time . . . usually they're not "free", they're the previous or next person's food.)

But I can say that more often than getting extra food, we've been given incorrect or incomplete orders. The Wendy's in town here is notorious for messing things up. The McDonalds, though 10x busier, does an excellent job. In my home town, it's the reverse.

I haven't actually eaten fast food in two months or more, so I guess it's not a big deal anyway. :) Yay me.

Sam5
2010-Jan-28, 07:22 PM
Cable news channels in the US often play 911 recordings, in which customers call the cops to complain about an incorrect order at a fast-food place. The 911 operators hate these calls, but a lot of these customers actually expect the local police to send cops to the place to straighten out the order.

Larry Jacks
2010-Jan-28, 09:22 PM
Joe Peshi's character in "Lethal Weapon II" had a highly profane and accurate description of drive-thru transactions. Not suitable for posting here, of course, but probably not too hard to find a video link with a little searching.

closetgeek
2010-Jan-29, 12:38 AM
"They love you at the drive-through"?

Larry Jacks
2010-Jan-29, 12:53 AM
That's a very mild form of what he said.

Nowhere Man
2010-Jan-29, 02:02 AM
That's why I don't use drive-throughs, and why I always check my order before I leave the counter. I don't like vegetation on my burgers, and it's a lot easier and faster to show them the screwup when I'm right in their face.

Fred

chrlzs
2010-Jan-29, 04:27 AM
It's not just drive throughs, they screw up with counter bought meals too.

Interestingly, it seems only to happen to me at the big franchises, like McD, KFC, etc. I can't recall ever getting a screwed up order from a 'normal' takeaway/fish&chip shop.

It's one good thing about having a GPS. After my last screwup (I shan't name KFC (grin)), which I discovered about 20km away when I stopped to eat, I checked the GPS and it had their phone number. I rang them and explained what was missing and exactly how I felt about it... The store manager promised to send me a voucher for a replacement and a bonus item. I gave him my address, and sure enough it appeared two days later.

So - ring them (immediately, as they tend to be dismissive if you don't do it within a few hours) and *demand* recompense. If not, tell them you will return to the store in person and discuss the matter very loudly...

LaurelHS
2010-Jan-29, 05:00 AM
Once I asked for three chocolate chip cookies with my sandwich at Subway and when I got home and looked in the bag, there were four. I wasn't too sad about this mixup. I know, I have a major sweet tooth. :)

swampyankee
2010-Jan-29, 11:19 AM
About the only significant drive-through/take-away problems I've had involve keeping sugar out of my coffee (I stopped sweetening my coffee when I was 12) and mayonnaise out of sandwiches (I detest the stuff).

Fazor
2010-Jan-29, 02:25 PM
About the only significant drive-through/take-away problems I've had involve keeping sugar out of my coffee (I stopped sweetening my coffee when I was 12) . . .

It's funny how many people (drive through, counter, waiter/tress, etc.) look at me like I'm an alien when I say I like my coffee black. No cream. No sugar. (I use flavored cream at the office, but I don't mind not having it).

. . . and mayonnaise out of sandwiches (I detest the stuff).

What?! Mayo is the nectar of the gods! I'd put it on everything if I weren't trying to lose weight. As it is, I haven't used it (exception of a tuna salad sandwich) in months. *sigh*

Buttercup
2010-Jan-29, 02:41 PM
My husband would keel over to see that comment about mayonnaise, lol! He LOVES the stuff. No mayo on a burger? "Blasphemy!" :p He also substitutes ketchup with mayonnaise for his french fries. :rolleyes:

rommel543
2010-Feb-02, 10:22 PM
When I drove truck I was going through Chicago on the toll-way and stopped at McD's. I wanted to get out of the rest area before the heavy traffic started at 3 so I didn't bother checking my order of a 2 cheeseburger meal. Got the truck, pulled back out onto the toll-way then opened the bag. It had 2 quarter pounders, a cheeseburger and 2 orders of fries. I obviously got someone else's order but I had a good lunch.

swampyankee
2010-Feb-03, 11:23 AM
My husband would keel over to see that comment about mayonnaise, lol! He LOVES the stuff. No mayo on a burger? "Blasphemy!" :p He also substitutes ketchup with mayonnaise for his french fries. :rolleyes:

I would not want your husband to collapse, so don't let him see the post :)

I've met people who put mayonnaise on just about everything. I think the weirdest was fruit salad, although the first time I saw somebody put mayonnaise on french fries, I almost gagged.

slang
2010-Feb-03, 12:05 PM
Those "black coffee" means "with sugar" stories surprise me. Is it only at McD, KFC, etc. that the default black coffee is NOT "without anything"?

He also substitutes ketchup with mayonnaise for his french fries. :rolleyes:

Ketchup on fries!? :shifty: *shivers*

Our mixups have always been "wrong things". IE a cheeseburger instead of a normal one for our lactose intolerant kid. At KFC they got it wrong so many times we won't go there anymore. I do have a second hand "mixup" story though, from a friend of mine. After getting the order wrong several times in two weeks or so, friend's wife got really irate, drove back, and gave them a piece of her mind (I've heard her, it must have been impressive!). Anyway, it was almost closing time and they sent her back with several bags of stuff. Free.

hawaii50girl
2010-Feb-03, 08:09 PM
Every time my dad goes to either Wendy's or KFC they are always messing up the orders. So my family has stopped going to KFC because of how many times they have messed up are order. It always seems to be my father's order of food that is messed up.

swampyankee
2010-Feb-03, 08:12 PM
From my rather limited experience, in Connecticut, a "regular" coffee is one with cream or sugar. In Manhattan, a regular coffee seems to be one with cream, but without sugar. A friend from, iirc, North Carolina, said where he was from, a regular coffee was one with sugar but no cream.

I always specify. Or go someplace where I can add my own fixin's

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-03, 09:29 PM
For me, a regular coffee is black, no sugar, no syrup, no special flavors, nothing sprinkled on top. Just the coffee please. No, I don't wan't anything added at all, just the coffee. Yes, only coffee. Single origin Arabica if possible, blended if not. Yes, just coffee with nothing in it. One please, large.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-03, 09:48 PM
At the Tim Hortons' near the place I worked got to know my order so well that sometimes even before I got through the doors they had large black already on the counter.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-03, 11:17 PM
At the Tim Hortons' near the place I worked got to know my order so well that sometimes even before I got through the doors they had large black already on the counter.
A similar thing sometimes happens to me at the Tim Hortons nearest my apartment. Before I even order, they say, "Extra-large French vanilla cappucino?"

swampyankee
2010-Feb-05, 01:37 AM
A similar thing sometimes happens to me at the Tim Hortons nearest my apartment. Before I even order, they say, "Extra-large French vanilla cappucino?"

I had the same thing happen at the Starbucks near where I currently work and one of the street vendors I used to buy coffee from in NYC.

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-05, 01:54 AM
The thread brings back memories. Having lived from sea-to-shining-sea,( 9 states, 16 houses) I learned quickly that 'regular' coffee means something different depending on the locale.

I've received extra's in drive-thru's, but never been shortchanged by them...but I have done it to myself. Years ago, drive-thrus had 1 window that handled both paying and pickup. When I moved to the Northeast, I ran into my first drivethru with separate windows for each function. I paid at Window 1 and drove off without my food! DUH!