PDA

View Full Version : BBC News - NASA insider says "water"

TriangleMan
2004-Mar-02, 11:41 AM
I saw a report on BBC News International last night. They say "sources inside NASA" have told them that analysis of a hematite rock has shown evidence that Mars once had water and that is what will be announced at the press conference.

BBC also qualified the statement "Provided our source wasn't pulling our leg . . . " :-?

Bawheid
2004-Mar-02, 02:40 PM
The BBC were pushing this on the news here last night and again this morning, from memory (never terribly reliable) the gist was that NASA weren't claiming to have found evidence of water, but of something (possibly heamatite rock) which was usually caused by water/produced underwater.

Hmmmmmm a post that adds nothing to the debate and isn't helpful. Up to my usual standards then. :cry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3524275.stm

Edited for spelling and to add link.

snabald
2004-Mar-02, 02:57 PM
I think they might tell us the water is still there.

milli360
2004-Mar-02, 03:34 PM
Does anybody have any doubt that there once was water on Mars? That formed many of its features? What is the alternative explanation?

nebularain
2004-Mar-02, 03:37 PM
Does anybody have any doubt that there once was water on Mars? That formed many of its features?

Hasn't it been a case of not wanting to jump to conclusions without further evidence?

snabald
2004-Mar-02, 03:39 PM
The BBC were pushing this on the news here last night and again this morning, from memory (never terribly reliable) the gist was that NASA weren't claiming to have found evidence of water, but of something (possibly heamatite rock) which was usually caused by water/produced underwater.

Hmmmmmm a post that adds nothing to the debate and isn't helpful. Up to my usual standards then. :cry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3524275.stm

Edited for spelling and to add link.

The thing is the scientists called a "rush" press conference and are flying to Washington to make their announcement. If it was something along the lines of "yeah, we think we might have found something that might suggest that this mineral could have possibly formed in what we think may be water." It seems that they would not be making such a big deal.

I'm no expert but some of the pictures of the trenches look like they are damp inside, I bet that this has something to do with why they called a press conference.

parejkoj
2004-Mar-02, 05:04 PM
Does anybody have any doubt that there once was water on Mars? That formed many of its features? What is the alternative explanation?

There is proof of frozen water at the poles and some permafrost, if I remember correctly. There are lots of features which would be explained easily by liquid water acting in the fairly recent past. However, most of those features could also be explained by sublimation and/or seeping of CO2, or wind erosion. They didn't have a smoking gun yet. Maybe this is it?