PDA

View Full Version : Scenic Apocalypse Island - Location?

hewhocaves
2010-Jan-30, 08:17 PM
So I turned on the History Channel's latest offer of drivel which was titled "Apocalypse Island". Total and utter rubbish, btw... except that the island they wander onto is really really pretty, particularly from a geological point of view. Igneous rock everywhere turning to brick red soils.

But they don't say where the island is! (part of the rubbish) Just that its somewhere out in the pacific. Anyone have any info on that?

sarongsong
2010-Jan-30, 08:31 PM
One idea:
...The island is located 400 miles out to sea into the Pacific Ocean from Chile. See map below...
boncherry.com (http://www.boncherry.com/blog/2010/01/03/apocalypse-island-gives-clue-to-mayans-2012-prediction/)

hewhocaves
2010-Jan-30, 08:39 PM
Yeah, that's the best guess. I do love when THC presents science but is coy about the facts. Cause that gives me such confidence. lol.

I was just wondering if someone knew for certain if the Juan Fernandez islands were actually it. (apparently if they are, the other side of the island is inhabited :P )

hewhocaves
2010-Jan-30, 09:31 PM
playing with Google earth around Robinson Crusoe Island came up with this image (looking west). Of course, I can't find any of the large landscape pics now. But from my swiss cheese memory I feel that the attached pic more or less corresponds with their overhead shots.

Oh, and if so, their 'uninhabited island' has a town, an airstrip and satellite TV. Which implies that the residents can see this episode.

Jens
2010-Feb-02, 06:22 AM
Yeah, the map on James Turner's site is clearly Robinson Crusoe island. Wikipedia says it has a population of 633, so not quite uninhabited. :)

Maha Vailo
2010-Feb-08, 11:57 PM
Slightly off topic, but what was it that made this show "utter drivel?"

- Maha Vailo

ChrisInTempe
2010-Mar-29, 06:56 AM
What a total pile of made up pseudo-history garbage. The island in question has people living on it, and an airport and ferry service. It is popular with scuba diver tours that go to visit the site of a sunken WW1 German warship. It is Robinson Crusoe Island, which has been crawled over and photographed extensively by tourists and explorers for a century or more.

The supposed monument is obviously a volcanic remnant. There are numerous photos from Robinson Crusoe Island showing similar natural structures. Volcanic remnants of this kind can be found all over the world, I see them where I live all the time.

One more thing, the Mayans did not predict an apocalypse. Their calendars did exactly what every other civilization's calendars have done. When they get to the end ... They start over from the beginning!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

ChrisInTempe
2010-Mar-29, 03:57 PM
Another point I though of, the island is traversed by a road. I am unsure if it reaches the town, as parts of it are hidden by clouds in the Google Earth images. But from the ferry boat dock on the west end, thru the airport and towards the town, the road can be followed penetrating thru the largest part of the island and more than halfway to the town.

So why the big act of having to hire a fishing boat and make a long voyage to get there? Why the showmanship of searching the coastline for a place to make a landing? Why the two day backpack trip across the island? Why all the showmanship and why hide the fact that the island is very accessible, populated and well mapped already?

He could have simply flown in or taken a ferry and arranged to be driven to a drop off point.

Guess Mr. Turner is just trying to sell something. In this case, a big pile of volcano leftovers.

PS: The backpack trip actually did look like fun. I have done a lot of wilderness exploring myself, in my younger years. Traveled thru Chile, Tierra del Fuego, other places. If not for all the sillyness he surrounded the trip with it could have been a great back country travel film.

aurora
2010-Mar-29, 11:45 PM
Being skeptical cuts two ways. Emanuel Velikovsky has made amazing contributions to science for anyone who could wade through the laughter.

Well, no.

I could make up a hundred strange things, and possibly one out of that hundred might actually turn out to resemble something that is discovered years afterwards.

That wouldn't make it science, though.

And this has what to do with the Island on that TV show?

novaderrik
2010-Mar-30, 03:54 AM
i saw some of the show, and the impression that i got was that it was edited in such a way to make it look like the guys actually believed the Mayan myths to actually be true, when in fact they were merely saying what the myths said. they seemed to cut off or start out a lot in mid sentence.
as for paying the fishing boat to take them there and hiking across the uninhabited parts of the island- again, maybe it was edited in such a way as to make it look like they were going to some secret "lost island".
this guy didn't seem as out there as the guy on a couple of years ago that was looking for magnetic anomalies in the Bermuda triangle as evidence of a black hole there that was connected to a white hole over by japan somewhere..
of course, i missed the first 1/2 hour, flipped between it and another show for the middle hour, and had the last 1/2 hour on more or less as background noise while i did my laundry and wasted away on the interwebs..

PetersCreek
2010-Apr-01, 05:57 PM
Discussion of rfahrbach's Velikovsky claims have been moved to a thread of their own in the ATM forum: rfahrbach's Velikovsky ATM Thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=1710205).

If I've missed moving a post that more properly belongs there, please report it.