PDA

View Full Version : First Person Shooter Terms.

BigDon
2010-Jan-30, 11:05 PM
Hi guys, as some of you may know I play a lot of LAN games, mostly RTS games, but with a fair shake of shooters, particularly the Left 4 Dead series, Fallout 3 and Borderlands.

I have a couple of questions for you fine folks who play these games. There are recurring oddities and oopses in FPS games that by now ought to have slang terms attached to them. Like:

When there is a canned death throe for a particular monster but you've shot it in a confined space and the models react with the background and goes catapulting off to the horizon or shooting up to the stratosphere. Fallout 3's deathclaws are really good for the latter. Espeacially if you shoot them near trees.

When you are playing a game where movement is based on WASD inputs and while staring intently at your screen your fingers get out of place so instead of boldly rushing the enemy with a howl on your foam flecked lips you go shooting off sideways, often over a cliff, and or switch out your Flaming Nuclear Shotgun of Acidic Frozen Doom for a box of bandaids while standing toe to toe with the Great Balrog of Moria's older brother. (The mean one.)

There's more. But I have to finish before my brothers come back from lunch. Then it's going to be Sins of A solar Empire 'til about 2 AM or so. It's 3 pm local now.

I kept the title fairly neutral so others can feel free to add or contribute anything I've overlooked.

BD

slang
2010-Jan-31, 10:57 PM
slang terms

Hi.

When there is a canned death throe for a particular monster but you've shot it in a confined space and the models react with the background and goes catapulting off to the horizon or shooting up to the stratosphere. Fallout 3's deathclaws are really good for the latter. Espeacially if you shoot them near trees.

In the FPS's I've played that would be called a bug. A cheat if it could be somehow used in multiplayer to gain an advantage.

When you are playing a game where movement is based on WASD inputs and while staring intently at your screen your fingers get out of place so instead of boldly rushing the enemy [...]

Something like that we sometimes called a "RIFK". A surprisingly common typo due to touch typing with the right hand moved one column to the left.

SolusLupus
2010-Jan-31, 11:06 PM

A bug. They honestly don't seem to happen much outside of Fallout 3. :p

BigDon
2010-Feb-01, 12:14 AM
Solus, ever play Doom on a 386 with 4 meg of RAM? :lol:

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-01, 12:15 AM
I used to play the old Doom games; I remember the odd bug or glitch, but not many.

slang
2010-Feb-01, 01:42 AM
Solus, ever play Doom on a 386 with 4 meg of RAM? :lol:

DX or SX? :D

captain swoop
2010-Feb-01, 10:44 AM
Marathon on the Mac was the one to play. At Emap Elan our servers were named after the Computer AIs in Marathon

BigDon
2010-Feb-19, 04:30 PM
Marathon on the Mac was the one to play. At Emap Elan our servers were named after the Computer AIs in Marathon

That used to drive my brother nuts when techs did that. He was overall in charge of 500 physical servers vertualized to over 1200 spread over many locations, floors and rooms.

He prefered naming servers so you could find them when they crapped out. Usual done in 8 digit codes (alpha/numeric) in 2 digit blocks for building, floor, room and space.

It simplies things, rather than trying to find "Xena" and "Gabby".

(Part of the reason he has that cool NASA/Ames job now.) :)

mahesh
2010-Feb-19, 04:38 PM
...(Part of the reason he has that cool NASA/Ames job now.) :)

Well congratulations to your bro, bro...

Besides this, I never realised you could speak so much Greek geek, so fluently too!

'cos that's what it sounds to me, like...all Greek geek!

Fazor
2010-Feb-19, 04:45 PM
What about when you can see various enemy body parts through walls or other obstructions? The best is when these things are actually hittable (sometimes are, sometimes not, depending on how the game's hit-detection works).

I love killing off a baddie or two before I even enter a room.

Not so much a glitch, but how about the games that don't allow for z-movement (such as jumping). Nothing quite like a hero that's the only person who can save the world from an overwhelming alien menace, but can't step over a small desk lamp that's been knocked onto the floor.

And again not a gitch, but I love when dev's make your character do the dramatic gun-cocking every time you pull your weapon out. "Dang'it Bill! Ammo is scarce enough as-is! STOP DOING THAT!" "But I have to! I took out the map to take a look at it! Now it won't fire unless I cock it first!" (Hollywood is guilty of this too.)

BigDon
2010-Feb-19, 05:26 PM
The Left 4 Dead series is really good for that Faze

Fazor
2010-Feb-19, 05:31 PM
I've only played the first one. Buddy has it for XBox. I thought about getting the second one, and may still, but have temporarily loaned my soul to Bioware.

I do have Borderlands, but I'm assuming you play on PC?

BigDon
2010-Feb-19, 05:33 PM
Oh, and I've recently fallen in love with a single action .375 revolver, Faze. The heavy barrel makes it handle like a popgun.

BigDon
2010-Feb-19, 05:41 PM
I've only played the first one. Buddy has it for XBox. I thought about getting the second one, and may still, but have temporarily loaned my soul to Bioware.

I do have Borderlands, but I'm assuming you play on PC?

The Left 4 Dead 2 is even better Faze. I'm "Coach".

Borderlands? I have five characters for different groups and combos of people that come over to play. Three Brick and Two Mordicais, Roland is up next I think.

Only been doing the local LAN thing as far as groups.

Only went out in the main pool a couple of times on Steam. Had fun. Oddly enough I found that playing with strangers like I play with my bros, ei healing folks, running into trouble to resustate etc., starts to de-punkify some people.

BigDon
2010-Feb-19, 05:51 PM
Well congratulations to your bro, bro...

Besides this, I never realised you could speak so much Greek geek, so fluently too!

'cos that's what it sounds to me, like...all Greek geek!

If you're familiar with "geek" maybe I could introduce you to that rare subset of wedgies called the BigDon Wedgie wherein grown men often leave grease stains (from thier hair gel) on the ceiling. Normally reserved for new hires I catch stealing from my customers.

(:))

Fazor
2010-Feb-19, 05:55 PM
It's funny how different games lend themselves to different online experiences. I play Modern Warfare 2, and I have to mute everyone who has a headset. Mostly immature pre-teens with social issues, and the others seem to be immature non-teens with social issues. There's only a few that aren't completely annoying.

Borderlands, however, online play has been much more enjoyable. For the most part, people work together and help each other out. Not a lot of "frat boy" chat over the voice system either. I just haven't played much Borderlands because I don't have a headset, which makes it hard to co-ordinate efforts, which is extremely important considering the ramped up difficulty in co-op. (And you can't feasibly text-chat on an xBox).

BigDon
2010-Feb-19, 06:38 PM
It's funny how different games lend themselves to different online experiences. I play Modern Warfare 2, and I have to mute everyone who has a headset. Mostly immature pre-teens with social issues, and the others seem to be immature non-teens with social issues. There's only a few that aren't completely annoying.

Borderlands, however, online play has been much more enjoyable. For the most part, people work together and help each other out. Not a lot of "frat boy" chat over the voice system either. I just haven't played much Borderlands because I don't have a headset, which makes it hard to co-ordinate efforts, which is extremely important considering the ramped up difficulty in co-op. (And you can't feasibly text-chat on an xBox).

And my cool aforementioned younger brother set up the LAN in my livingroom. Everybody is in the same room. Gives a distinct advantage in game play, but the smack talk usualy precludes the presence of polite company.

"You're OTHER :silenced: left!" Or "Nice grenade work, :silenced:!" when it drops back in your lap after hitting the overhead.

Oh! Best Mac Joke Of The Day

Yeah, one in every crowd. One of the regulars uses a Mac and "Bootcamp" to join in the sessions and we rag on him anyway just for that, but when he loaded up Borderlands to play his version or settings in Bootcamp wouldn't let him join because we all upgraded to Windows 7 since the last session.

So while he was sitting there getting things set right, it started to get thick. Led off by me of course.

"You know, because it's a Mac, his version of Borderlands is going to offer The Village People instead of the usual characters"

Which, of course, was followed up by suggestions to choose either the Cop or the Indian for the better weapons selection. Someone suggested the construction worker but was reminded about bringing knives to a gunfight.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-19, 06:42 PM
I immediately flashed on this (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3302136064/tt0132347) guy.

Fazor
2010-Feb-19, 06:54 PM
We haven't done the LAN thing in a few years, but "Counter-Strike" was always our LAN main-stay. We'd play others, but out of the 14+ hours we'd usually be at it, Counter-Strike would account for a good 10 hours of it.

Battlefield 1942 was also a good LAN game.