PDA

View Full Version : where does "Dark Energy" come from? (is there a mainstream idea as to it's origin)

sabianq
2010-Jan-31, 05:48 AM
what are some accepted recent ideas as to what "Dark Energy" is and where it may be coming from?

thanks

astromark
2010-Jan-31, 08:02 AM
I do not know, and doubt if you will find any one who does., and... that answer would suffice for both parts of your question. I would be interested but suspicious of any thing else.

WayneFrancis
2010-Jan-31, 10:56 AM
At this point it would me like asking someone hundreds of years ago what supernova was if one was visible by the naked eye and relatively near by with one exception. Today scientist just comment on the observable facts and are far less likely to tag it any superstition.

Scientist can rule some things out but it is still a big unknown.

Cougar
2010-Jan-31, 02:39 PM
what are some accepted recent ideas as to what "Dark Energy" is and where it may be coming from?

As Mark and Wayne indicate, not much is known about dark energy. It appears to be a characteristic of space itself, and it has been there since the beginning of the expansion, so it "came from" the same place as everything else.

korjik
2010-Feb-01, 05:02 AM
Van Rijin's invisibles elf causes it.

Prove that I am wrong

:)

Seriously tho, like has been said several times, no one knows what Dark Energy is.

astromark
2010-Feb-01, 05:32 AM
Is an Elf a Elves singular...? Spending hours looking for...

Some of us think Dark energy is a lock we do not have the key for. Looking is the battle.

" And I still haven't found what I'm looking for..." Bono... Mark in a warm and wetter wanganui

Noclevername
2010-Feb-03, 08:43 PM

thanks

There's not even any real mainstream consesnsus on whether there is such a thing, let alone its nature. It's just a convenient conjecture to explain why the universal expansion doesn't look exactly the way we think it should. A placeholder for "until we figure it out".

sabianq
2010-Feb-03, 09:08 PM
are we allowed to speculate?

??

sabianq
2010-Feb-03, 09:13 PM
i tried already, the thread (http://www.bautforum.com/against-mainstream/100204-dark-energy-another-alternative.html) got shut down before it even got started..

<sad face>

2010-Feb-04, 02:25 AM
i tried already, the thread (http://www.bautforum.com/against-mainstream/100204-dark-energy-another-alternative.html) got shut down before it even got started..

You did read the reason that topic was shut down, didn't you?

That doesn't mean that all speculation about the nature of dark energy is forbidden within BAUT Forum.

Just do it in the right time, manner and place.

sabianq
2010-Feb-04, 02:33 AM
yea, i wasnt prepared cause i didnt know the math..
and contrary to what was said, i was not looking for someone to help me build a model, rather i clearly asked if such a model was possible to build..
im really really sorry..

so where exactly is the right place in the forums for such ATM speculation?

2010-Feb-04, 03:11 AM
so where exactly is the right place in the forums for such ATM speculation?

ATM speculation? What makes it ATM?

Do you wish to make and hear well-labeled scientific conjecture about dark energy, or are you seeking wild ideas about dark energy that don't fit with what is known?

Edit: Apparently you're taking this to another level in About BAUT topic im criticizing how the ATM boards are policed (http://www.bautforum.com/forum-introductions-feedback/100348-im-criticizing-how-atm-boards-policed.html).

I suggest we drop this side topic of where dark-energy speculation can best be conducted within BAUT, and your stranger idea about specific "ATM speculation". It's bound to be part of the bigger picture in that other topic.

tommac
2010-Feb-04, 03:49 AM
I believe it to be negative energy/mass created during the big bang

korjik
2010-Feb-04, 04:40 AM
Try wiki to find out the basics of dark energy

pzkpfw
2010-Feb-04, 06:17 AM
Thread closed.

Q&A isn't the place for speculation, nor complaining about closed ATM threads, nor for anyones' personal ATM (looking at you, tommac), nor silly answers (korjik and the elves) - at least not on page 1.

Some answers were given, that'll be it for now.