PDA

View Full Version : place your bets on the NASA anouncement!

Amadeus
2004-Mar-02, 04:10 PM
Just a bit of fun to pass the next 3 hours until we find out what the fuss is about. :D

My moneys on current water.

[EDIT] Just noticed I mispelled the title :oops:

R.A.F.
2004-Mar-02, 04:18 PM
I also voted for current water...I'm trying to be optimistic. :)

snabald
2004-Mar-02, 04:19 PM
As much as I would LOVE for it to be proof of life past or current, I must remain optimistically skeptical (how is that for an oxymoron?) regarding life on Mars. I want there to be so badly but I will wait for conclusive proof. I am betting they are going to tell us there is liquid water on the surface right now. So many of the pictures of the trenches the rovers made looked like the "soil" was damp.

JohnOwens
2004-Mar-02, 04:26 PM
What about "current water AND past life", etc.? [-X

nebularain
2004-Mar-02, 04:33 PM
I went for the safe route: past water.

Of course, if there is present water, then voting "past water" technically would not be incorrect either, would it? 8-[

ToSeek
2004-Mar-02, 04:47 PM
Calling a press conference for "past water" seems like overkill to me, and if it were life they wouldn't have waited this long. So I voted for water now, which is momentous but not front-page, top-of-the-fold momentous.

Amadeus
2004-Mar-02, 04:55 PM
What about "current water AND past life", etc.? [-X

There's always one isn't there :lol:
I thought about addding a poll for both case on each one but the list would be too long.

constible
2004-Mar-02, 05:25 PM
I'm thinking past.

Although I hope I'm wrong. :D

JohnOwens
2004-Mar-02, 05:29 PM
I'm thinking past.

Past which, though? Water or life?

Stagefright
2004-Mar-02, 05:29 PM
I'm thinking past.

Agreed. Since I'm 'betting' here, and not 'hoping'

CrzyWeazl
2004-Mar-02, 05:32 PM
I'll pick past water for 1000

Ut
2004-Mar-02, 05:33 PM
I, too, am going with past water. Don't want to get my hopes up.

carolyn
2004-Mar-02, 05:39 PM
Ok

Yes to all. (not PX though, we know where that is :D 8) )

Oh I can only tick one :oops: so its current water then because that implies the rest exist anyway

Archer17
2004-Mar-02, 05:45 PM
Current water. I agree with ToSeek, past water IMO wouldn't necessitate this kind of conference.

skrap1r0n
2004-Mar-02, 05:48 PM
ingnorant question, how do you prove past water? Though the confirmation of Hematite?

What about the poles, are they H2o or Co2 ice caps? I mean if they are H2o then we know there is water there? I am hoping for current water or permafrost.

stelmosfire
2004-Mar-02, 05:57 PM
You're all wrong. What Opportunity has discovered in digging trenches and RAT'ing rocks is--

NOUGAT!

Mars is in fact a giant, spherical Snickers.

snabald
2004-Mar-02, 06:03 PM
ingnorant question, how do you prove past water? Though the confirmation of Hematite?

What about the poles, are they H2o or Co2 ice caps? I mean if they are H2o then we know there is water there? I am hoping for current water or permafrost.

This is from a hand made translation of the Spiegel article on slashdot:

According to these reports, analyses of a light rock named "Robert E." using the spectrometer found substantially higher levels of zinc and sulphur than in all previously investigated mars rocks. "This indicates that the rock is a hardened, salt-containing sediment, and not of volcanic origin", said a member of the Max-Planck Institute for Chemistry, where the APXS spectrometer was built.

HAVOC451
2004-Mar-02, 06:07 PM
I'll bet it's current water but my inner child has been jumping up and down yelling "Fossilfossilfossil" all morning.

Maksutov
2004-Mar-02, 06:08 PM
I'll see your past water and raise my present water 500. Now barkeep, a glass of brine for all the gentlemen at the table! :)

carolyn
2004-Mar-02, 06:09 PM
I'll bet it's current water but my inner child has been jumping up and down yelling "Fossilfossilfossil" all morning.

Now you see--- I don't need an inner child to do that - I do it anyway! :D

Andromeda321
2004-Mar-02, 06:19 PM
I voted for past life. Doesn't hurt to be an optimist does it? And we'll find out in about fourty minutes or so anyway...

Amadeus
2004-Mar-02, 06:20 PM
News just in!

Oppotunity has picked up a repeating radio signal comming from 10 metres under the surface. The signal seems to be counting prime numbers.

Only joking :lol:

40 minutes to go........ the waiting is killing me #-o

Dancar
2004-Mar-02, 06:38 PM
OK, I'm the joker who picked Planet X.

But my real bet would be past liquid water/current ice.

I'll guess that some of the formations seen by Opportunity are sedimentary formed by solids settling in moving water.

And I'll speculate that the soil is cohesive due to a measure ice content!

Dancar

Eirik
2004-Mar-02, 06:39 PM
Looks like I got here too late to vote, but I'm guessing that they'll announce current water, if only because the rovers weren't apparently designed to test for current life.

My inner child is hoping they will anounce that they've found life, though. He's a bit of an optimist, but what can I say? :-)

Amadeus
2004-Mar-02, 07:40 PM
Those of you that voted for past water
pat yourselfs on the back!

Wingnut Ninja
2004-Mar-02, 08:12 PM
Those of you that voted for past water
pat yourselfs on the back!

I read ToSeek's thread first, so I just voted PX for the heck of it.

8)

constible
2004-Mar-02, 08:42 PM
Hehehe, I should have included water in my post to avoid all the confusion.